Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Bacon: How much is too much?

6K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Shalynne 
#1 ·
I have major heart disease.

I've read that high cholesterol isn't directly related to how much you eat, but rather with how your body thinks it is needs to protect the body from inflammation.

I like bacon, but can easily eat a half pound of it.

Once my triglycerides were over 2000. But I think I was in major self digestion mode from extremely high bg numbers.

Last report was my triglycerides were 250. I don't know how to tell if these numbers are due to food intake or if my body is burning high amounts of body fat for energy.

Wisdom is welcome.

#2 ·
John,

Picking on one food item doesn't tell you a lot. You should be eating other things at the same time and it's the overall picture you have to examine - not just pick on one thing.

For me, the rule of thumb is that I eat a sensible portion of the things on my plate and although I don't really count calories, it is interesting to find that at the end of the day, my calorie count comes out at around 2,200 - roughly where it should be. Over the day I am ready for my meals but never that hungry that the wife's arm is in danger of being gnawed off by me. :)

There are many calculators available on the web - here is one of the easier to follow ones - Calculate Your Ideal Nutrient Intake for Weight Loss or Maintenance . You might find it helpful in coming up with a breakdown that fits your approach.

#3 ·
I can see what you are saying here.

I wasn't really thinking in terms of calories. I was more worried about the "evils" of bacon, that are promoted by otherwise heart health conscious people.

I hear it here a lots, that fat is ok. I guess I'm just having a hard time accepting that.

#4 · (Edited)
Honestly cured bacon is not evil - it is delicious. Have a look at that calculator and see what the results are based on your current carbohydrate intake compared to what it would look like when you cut your carbs back to half the current figure.

Then follow the approach for a couple of weeks - watching your insulin dose at the same time and see where it takes you.

#5 ·
Last year in your intro thread http://www.diabetesforum.com/introduce-yourself/31834-john-here.html you were given much information about LCHF and many of your questions about the so-called “dangers” of fats were addressed. Your last comment was.
[I’m] willing to do what it takes
You’ve been gone quite a long time and you seem to still be questioning the eating of fats, thinking that eating fats is going to be detrimental to your heart.

This very thing has been discussed over and over again on this forum. There have been studies and papers on this subject for which the links have been posted. The bottom line, however, is proof in the doing. Many have responded to your stated fears by pointing out that when they ate LCHF – with all the fat that this woe entails – their CVD risks and actual issues improved.

I guess at some point you’re going to have to make a decision and if after all the evidence presented about fats and how they don’t really contribute to CVD you decide to at least give this WOE a try for a few months (at least), then the forum is willing to support your decision and will be happy to guide you along the way.

I hope you decide to take the plunge.

#8 ·
Last year in your intro thread http://www.diabetesforum.com/introduce-yourself/31834-john-here.html you were given much information about LCHF and many of your questions about the so-called “dangers” of fats were addressed. Your last comment was.

You’ve been gone quite a long time and you seem to still be questioning the eating of fats, thinking that eating fats is going to be detrimental to your heart.

This very thing has been discussed over and over again on this forum. There have been studies and papers on this subject for which the links have been posted. The bottom line, however, is proof in the doing. Many have responded to your stated fears by pointing out that when they ate LCHF – with all the fat that this woe entails – their CVD risks and actual issues improved.

I guess at some point you’re going to have to make a decision and if after all the evidence presented about fats and how they don’t really contribute to CVD you decide to at least give this WOE a try for a few months (at least), then the forum is willing to support your decision and will be happy to guide you along the way.

I hope you decide to take the plunge.
Without doubt, this is my issue. It seems that you are tired of supporting people on the fence. Perhaps I can look forward to your help a little later on.

#10 ·
John, I guarantee you that most of the answers and reassurance you seek can be found on hundreds of other threads, especially in the "introduce yourself" section and the links that have been provided to you.

You don't need it customized to you, honestly! This way of life is pretty similar for all of us. Get enough fat to feel satisfied and full. Moderate protein. As few carbs as your meter will allow.

You can do this. We are living, walking, breathing, *healthy* proof.

#12 ·
John:

I am relatively new here, so I cannot speak for the group.

Having said that, I am quite sure that when you return you will be welcomed, if you are willing to stop your dithering, and do what everyone here has done.

Why do you think you're any different? Of course, no two individuals are exactly the same (except for identical twins) but the fact that you are "talking" to a very large number of people who eat animal fat, on a regular basis, without apparent harm, and to great benefit, should be somewhat reassuring.

People here grow impatient with those who vacillate endlessly, when a short trial, with frequent testing, will show a dramatic effect on your blood glucose levels.

Ultimately, it is you who choose, but we hope you will choose wisely.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Why do you think you're any different?
My faith made me different. So I am special, just like everyone else in existence.

But I like your question. I am fairly bright, but somehow self-destructive. I believe that most diseases have some deeper emotional connection. While I can say I want to live, my actions say something different.

Overcoming those internal suicidal tendencies has been very hard. With my condition, my eating habits say that I want to die. So, this isn't entirely logical for me and has been a struggle with my emotional needs. I haven't been able to convince myself.

One of the reasons I think I quit coming here is that I got this sort of reaction from people before. You know, "what's wrong with ya" sort of reaction.

So, I'm looking for a little support here.

I hope that helps.

#13 ·
If your concerned about fat, you should read "The Great Cholesterol Myth". It is written by two physicians that have research in showing that fat isn't the boogie man our government has made it out to be and that you can lower your cholesterol by consuming healthy fat.

#14 ·
The only trouble with that is that you can find a book to support whatever point of view you happen to like.

Here you will find people whose experiences are worth much more than anything written by some guy who just wants to sell books, and become famous.

#18 ·
John, I feel you are playing with us. Why not play along with us and give this way of eating a try for at least a month? What do you have to lose? Obviously what you are doing isn't working. I kinda hear a depression speaking and nothing will help to dispel that than doing something to try to improve your situation. It's a mystery to me what you mean by asking someone to support you…that's what we are all trying to do for you.

How about giving it at least a try?

#19 ·
Tea Rose said:
Nothing anyone says is going to change you.
________

I disagree. You have changed me . . . . to some degree. Not actually changed me, but changed my stance.

I am very disagreeable. I go out of my way to disagree. And in disagreeing with you, I am a better man.

Of course, I also agree with a lot of what you are saying. I might be like your brother. I try to be kind, funny, generous, etc. But I have my share of demons.

I was sort of joking about Jesus. I'm not really different, just configured different. Cancer, heart disease, and diabetes runs in my family. I have 5 brothers that have had heart vessel by passes, but I am the youngest and perhaps the worst.

I have a 7 year old daughter. More and more I realize that I don't want to leave her.

So like your brother, I have the self-destructive tendencies. I don't like them. I don't want them to kill me. I have been warned. But like your brother, I think if I am a good person, things will work out for me.

It works to some degree, but not here. It makes one wonder what they're doing wrong. I don't eat really bad, just bad for my list of diseases.

#20 ·
You need to learn to love yourself enough to want to save yourself. The thing about eating badly is, it won't kill you. Not right away. Your chance of passing due to a sudden heart attack is far less than your chance of spending 20 years in increasing pain due to your organs and body being damaged by high blood sugar. By the time you start that decline, it will be too late to say "oh now I should eat to my meter."

You do need to be there for your daughter. Do you think she wants to spend 20 years of her life watching you suffer?

Or can you spend 2 weeks right now eating no carbs, eating more salt and fat, and see how you feel?

If not, I really highly recommend seeing a therapist for depression. Taking medication isn't a personal failing, and it may save your daughter's father.

#21 ·
Change is not easy stuff, granted. Still, we must make serious changes. No matter how light or heavy our baggage is -- change is a challenge.

For many of us, this community is our main -- and perhaps only -- source of support. Yes, it shouldn't be this way. But it is, and we make it work.

Depression, by the way, can be a symptom of diabetes. If one is already depressed, unmanaged diabetes will make it worse.

After we made the changes, most of us felt better right away. THAT is when our motivation really kicked in. Yes, that adjustment period can be a pain. I didn't enjoy mine one bitty-bit. But I felt good stuff happening even during the worst of it.

You've already taken a few steps -- time to keep moving forward.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.