The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twenty some years ago I had cancer and it got into the Abdominal Lymph nods. Which involved removing all of my abdominal Lymph nodes. As a result scar tissue builds up over time and restricts my digestive system. When this happens I usually end up in the hospital for about 4 days with a tube down my stomach trying to pull everything backwards. The first two days you are pretty much out of it with the pain medicine they give you. Imagine having an inner tube in your stomach that some decided to come along and pump up full with air. It is very painful. Anyway last night I felt something wasn't right so I tested myself not thinking about this restriction and I was at 139. I was told not to take insulin again unless I had two readings in a row over 140 so it made me nervous. Wasn't long and the pain came and I knew what was happening as my digestive system was shutting down. As painful as it was I right away went outside and started running which helps to get things working again. After vomiting and diarrhea I started feeling a bit better which is not normal as in the past it was just my system cleaning itself out and a rest is needed to get it working again. So today I feel better, I hurt quite a bit from the pressure pains last night but am thinking that will go away soon.

So here is my problem now.. The best thing I can do is not eat for three or four days. When I end up in the hospital I am only fed intervenes only. Will I make four days; probably not? I am somewhat worried about my BS going too low so I will start testing again two or three times a day and will have some Lifesavers by my side.

·
Registered
165 Posts
are you allowed to take in liquids like gatorade/smoothies? they can give you carbs and sometimes protien. hope u feel better soon

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Geez Murph . . . whatta mess! :( Can the clear liquids include apple juice, plain jello, popcicles, etc.? Anything with no pulp?

Keep us posted . . .

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Geez Murph . . . whatta mess! :( Can the clear liquids include apple juice, plain jello, popcicles, etc.? Anything with no pulp?

Keep us posted . . .
When in the hospital and just starting out no. But because I did not go into the hospital and they have no other way of feeding me yes as long as it doesn't come back up on me. In fact if I totally shut down I can't even take water. So far though the water has been fine and will probably get some apple juice for dinner today.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I would call your doctor and ask him. I assume you are a type 2. Even if I don't eat my liver takes over and adds glucose to my system spiking my bgs. When I don't eat I suffer from hyperglycemia not hypoglycemia.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would call your doctor and ask him. I assume you are a type 2. Even if I don't eat my liver takes over and adds glucose to my system spiking my bgs. When I don't eat I suffer from hyperglycemia not hypoglycemia.
Pretty much all of this from my doctor. That is why I will be testing 3x a day in the next few days until I put myself on solid food again. I do have to rest my digestive system and if I don't I will totally shut down and I don't want that. They get you in the hospital and they won't let you back out until you crap!!!!!

And the way it looks you are right. I tested this morning at 95 and at noon I am 115. :(

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tested at 3:00pm and was 89. Tonight before I ate a small block of Salmon I was at 82. Salmon went down ok but could tell I might have pushed it some. At least at this time I feel I am out of the woods. Tomorrow will take it easy yet.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks great! hope ur feeling better soon
I must have a little bit of that Dawn Phenomenon. After testing at 82 last night and only have a fist size block of Salmon this morning I was at 108. I am feeling much better today so far. I had one Cliff Bar for breakfast and have been able to get down about 32 oz of water. With that amount of water that tells me things are moving through ok. Will still hold out on eating much today. Funny thing for not eating much I have no hunger pains what so ever.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts