The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Begin Rant ...

Apparently I've been giving everyone in the house grief for what they're eating...

Yes, I'm the only one Dx'd as diabetic... but I see my daughter walking around with a FAMILY SIZED bag of Doritos, my wife brought home a Carrot Cake AND a Chocolate Cake (they were on sale...), my youngest son bought an 8 pack of freaking Ding Dongs... And my oldest son asked me to drive him through Wendy's for a burger...

I go into the kitchen today, and there's TWO open bags of potato chips staring at me... "eat me, eat me" they call... There's also a bag of chocolate chip cookies on the counter ... I've ASKED people to please NOT leave out carby-snacks that might tempt me, but there they are...

So I've been spazzing-out (my son's term) at them the past couple of days for eating all this CRAP in front of me, and leaving things out, etc. But geesh, I can't eat this stuff, and I hate seeing it everywhere.

I also just don't understand WHY none of them will get on the "healthy eating" bandwagon and stop with this crap!

AAAAAAAAAaaauuuugggghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/end rant. Sorry. Am I a horrible person for wishing they'd clean up their acts? At least around me??

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You aren't a horrible person, period! And yeah, more consideration could be shown I reckon . . . just close your eyes & walk on by.

As for the carrot cake . . . make this one! It's superb! When I make it again, I'll be using more carrots & more pineapple, but even with no more tweaking, it's a darn good cake! My type 1.5 brother-in-law loved that I made it for his birthday cake this weekend!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Glad to know I'm not the only one. I've got the same struggle and try to educate my wife/kids on the disease is an ongoing battle. I really believe we're poisoning our kids with all these man-made carb-rich products.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Oh Beefy, I feel for you. In our house, though, my poor husband has to eat my diet - I control the grocery strings AND the kitchen. Just part of my evil plot to change America's diet one person at a time. OK.....so I haven't progressed beyond him in three years. But life is long and a girl can dream!

Despite my best efforts, a box of Girl Scout cookies found their way into our lower-carb fortress and yes! I admit it - I ate 6 Thin Mints. Oh my - they were wonderful. But I paid the blood sugar price for several hours after:cool:

Jen

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I guess I must be very lucky. When my sons lived at home (they are in their 40s now) they kept the junk food in a special kitchen cabinet that I never needed to open. I learned to leave that cabinet door closed. "Out of sight, out of mind." My wife still does that since my kids moved away. It really helps.

I think that my boys seeing me have terrible hypos/seizures when they lived at home made them very sympatheitic towards my diabetes, so they did what they could to help. If you are well controlled and do not display any problems with your diabetes, then your family might not feel the same way my family did.

·
Registered
253 Posts
There's also a bag of chocolate chip cookies on the counter
The first solution that pops to mind is just eat the whole thing. That'll teach them to leave it lying around in plain sight.

But unfortunately I can't do that anymore. I've experience first hand how much damage a single chocolate chip cookie did to me about a month ago, and even when there are a pile of sweets available, free for the taking at work, I don't even feel like going near them.

When I was sharing a house with a group of health food fanatics a lot of years ago, any cookies or cake in the kitchen would disappear fast. I only found out a strategy to deal with this, long after when one of the guys let me in on a little secret of his.

When he had cookies, he used to put them in an old brown paper bag at the back of the bottom shelf of the fridge, with the label 'kelp flakes.' :)

The guy was brilliant, really enjoyed that one.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The first year that I was diabetic I found I did the same thing. I was preaching to everyone in my family about the horrors of junk food. Now I only preach to my husband, who is also diabetic who still eats chips occassionaly. It is always very hard when my daughter is home from college, because she loves to bake and the house smells like hot , fresh, chocolate chip cookies. I always tell her to give away the cookies as fast as possible. I am getting better and better at avoiding these things but once in awhile I do give in. Chips were always my downfall.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Beefy, your rant is justified! What amazes me is that in spite of it, you have managed to lose over 30 lbs in 2.5 months and brought your bs down to 4.6! Congratulations!

The hardest period has got to be when one first makes changes (at least I hope it doesn't get harder than this!) and you have been managing that change remarkably and inspirationally with all that junk food swirling around.

I'm trying to think of solutions - how to get the message to them. If you're rich, you could buy loose leaf lettuce by the bushel and every time you see cookies on the counter just bury 'em underneath a pile of lettuce :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Its absolutely justified, beefy! Here you are trying to battle a situation, rest should give you moral support as your family members. Let them eat if they want to but out of your eyesight...I should congratulate you for showing positive results inspite of all this around you..Cheer up!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would have a really hard time in such a household. My willpower is only good about 95% of the time.. the other 5% I would eat anything in sight.
My husband has been a saint - at meals he only eats what I can have - even if I offer to make him noodles or potato he will decline. He's a candy eater but he's cut it down to one kind of candy that I don't like and he keeps it out of sight. He also snacks on Ramen noodles and instant mashed potatoes - neither of those tempt me at all. He works evenings and eats his high carb meals for dinner during the week at restaurants.
He's now starting to put on some weight eating my higher fat meals at home and his high carb meals during the week.
My kids are grown but they have still helped. My son-in-law (a chef) searches out new things I can eat whenever we go to their house. Who would have thought fried carrot "chips" would be good? or chicken filling in wilted lettuce rollups?
I'm very lucky this way. :)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
GAH! I have 3 pre-teen kids and dread the teenage metabolism.

I would be going nuts, too.

They really, REALLY, could be more discreet about it. And should try. Especially your WIFE, she wants to have you around for a few more decades, right???

·
Registered
213 Posts
Instead of burying that junk in lettuce, how about a liberal application of red pepper on everything being left out to tempt you? You wouldn't be tempted, and they'd learn to keep stuff out of sight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts