The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say we were all craving Baklava and I had most of the ingredients here except Phyllo dough, what would you substitute?

I think I can make the rest with equal and splenda and honey instead of sugar.

Do you think that if I had those flakey layers biscuits that I could make individualized baklava tasting things?

Not that I think that is all going to be wonderfully BG friendly or anything... but we're sure getting tired of pudding-y type desserts lately. And, besides we've been super good since I found this forum and that website you sent me to for recipes. :)

Well, cook type people, do you think you could fake something that slightly resembles baklava with the flakey biscuits?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I don't have the remotest idea . . . and I used to make a lot of baklava many years ago. A leavened dough like biscuits will surely not behave like the tissue-thin pastry leaves, but anything's possible. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wonder whether baklava can ever comply with low-carb requirements, in whatever way it will be prepared.

But if forum members would like, I could give the recipe of a delicious dish made with (dry) chickpeas (GI=31) from the Turkish Cousine, which is very easy to prepare.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I wonder whether baklava can ever comply with low-carb requirements, in whatever way it will be prepared.

But if forum members would like, I could give the recipe of a delicious dish made with (dry) chickpeas (GI=31) from the Turkish Cousine, which is very easy to prepare.
By all means, Ernst . . . share your recipe please! "Easy" and "delicious" are music to my ears - er, eyes! ;)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I remember on another forum last year we had a Chef that happened to be a diabetic. She created an apple roll up made with phylo that was very low carb. Normally when you do Baklava you use many sheets of phylo, you could decrease that to 1 or 2 layers and eliminate the middle layer. You could probalby try to use Walden Farms 0 carb syrup instead of the sugar and honey mix. I know what you mean about missing crunchy things. Have you tried a lot of the almond flour cookies, they come out very crunchy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
No, I haven't tried almond cookies yet. But I know that they are low-carb.

I will try them on first occasion.

I remember on another forum last year we had a Chef that happened to be a diabetic. She created an apple roll up made with phylo that was very low carb. Normally when you do Baklava you use many sheets of phylo, you could decrease that to 1 or 2 layers and eliminate the middle layer. You could probalby try to use Walden Farms 0 carb syrup instead of the sugar and honey mix. I know what you mean about missing crunchy things. Have you tried a lot of the almond flour cookies, they come out very crunchy.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I make a lot of desserts that are low carb using nut flours and flaxseed combinations. Have you seen the site Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home
It has tons of good dessert recipes that look pretty good.

Reactions: Bugg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've gotten a lot of desserts from Linda's website, thank you but so far everything seems to have the same texture, or we had a food allergy to something that I needed to work around.

Financially, right now we're in trying times and I can't spend money on all the fancy flours and diatetic foods. I'm trying to get by with what I've got here and what is cheap and won't kill us. Unfortunately that's just how life is sometimes.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
You can make your own nut flours just by grinding nuts in a food processor. The apple dish Chef Barrae made with chopped up apples and cinnamon and splenda and sauted them in butter. She then took 1 phyllo sheet and cut it in half and spread melted butter on it and then cinnamon and spread a thin line of the apple mix and then rolled in sides and rolled them up like a burrito. She then spread a little melted butter and cinnamon/splenda on top and baked. Boy were they good. You could do something similar and put your nut mix inside and roll in up and bake. So you would have all the flavors of Baklava for a lot less carbs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wonder what I could do with egg roll wrappers? I do have a package of them here. I could roll them out even thinner and make something yummy I just bet.

I guess I just needed to bounce ideas off of some like minded people.

There comes a time when you have to cheat a little bit, and our sugars have been really good lately - but right now we're also what my husband calls macaroni poor - my mom always called it pineapple and peas poor. (meaning all you had in your cabinet was pineapple and peas)

I think I'll save the biscuits for something else in a month when we're craving again and I'll make biscuts and gravy. Yum one of our favorite cheat dishes.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My daughter make portabello mushroom ravioli with the egg roll wrappers. But you could probably roll your nut mix in them and saute in butter until crisp or bake them. I always sub in whatever I have when I am making recipes

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well I just looked at what I had laid out for supper and realized that we're actually going to be eating pretty crummy :\ I have a huge bag of hen of the woods (maitake) mushrooms (we have our own patch of those in our woods) that need to be eaten quickly and so I'm going to sautee` some of those for my husband and I'll probably defrost the rest and make stuffing for chicken breasts with them. I have a FABULOUS recipe for stuffed breasts with the most amazing sauce ever. But is it diet/carb/diabetic friendly? It's several years old, but man oh man is it good. MAN.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I have a FABULOUS recipe for stuffed breasts with the most amazing sauce ever. But is it diet/carb/diabetic friendly? It's several years old, but man oh man is it good. MAN.
(EDIT: criminy! Mebbe I oughta read the whole board before I start responding . . . I read your recipe & there's nothing carby I can see . . . gonna put that on my menu plan! Thanks!)

Well trot it out here, Carrie . . . maybe we can put our heads together & de-carb it a little! :p

And that reminds me - I have a chicken cordon bleu I've made for years, and it could be very low-carb . . . I gotta post that one too!

Oh yummmm!!! I love food! heheh! :D :D :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well trot it out here, Carrie . . . maybe we can put our heads together & de-carb it a little! :p
I've posted it, and you know what, I looked at it and it's really not all that bad. I can't eat a lot of it, because yup, I have a problem with mushrooms, I'm going to try making myself a little with just a bread stuffing reserving some of the other ingredients to mix with it. Last time I made this I felt pretty weird all night. But then again, I could'a been nippin' at the wine while I cooked too.

I have a doubled version of the recipe, my husband's X is a sous chef and she helped me double it correctly... I can post or email if someone wants it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
(EDIT: criminy! Mebbe I oughta read the whole board before I start responding . . . I read your recipe & there's nothing carby I can see . . . gonna put that on my menu plan! Thanks!)
The recipe is a lot of work, it's about an hour prep and 30 minutes cook time. But I'm telling you what, it is so worth the effort. The sauce is what we love about it - I make wild rice or crispy green beans and maybe some mashed potatoes sometimes baked potatoes. It's for sure a company meal.

I have it doubled if anyone would like it.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The recipe is a lot of work, it's about an hour prep and 30 minutes cook time. But I'm telling you what, it is so worth the effort. The sauce is what we love about it - I make wild rice or crispy green beans and maybe some mashed potatoes sometimes baked potatoes. It's for sure a company meal.

I have it doubled if anyone would like it.
I love how you said to triple the sauce . . . I have SO many recipes noted with "double the gravy" - "make extra sauce" . . . etc., etc.! :D :D :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great Baklava Recipe Found

Actually I found a Mock Baklava at dLife.:D

Right now I can't post links, but if you go to: dLife-->Diabetic Recipes and enter the keyword: "Mock Baklava" in the Recipe Search and it will come up. This is a great recipe and it's only 7.4g of Carbs:eek:!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts