The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a couple really ripe bananas sitting, so I baked this up yesterday. YMMV, but this didn't spike me at all.

Recipe: Paleo Banana Bread

It's pretty good as far as grain-free baking goes. I slathered it in grassfed butter while still warm. If you want it sweeter, because it's really not that sweet, I'd add artificial sweetener, and of course you could just sub artificial for the honey if you think it will mess you up.

I'd also recommend baking it a little longer as mine was still a bit gooey near the top in the middle even though the toothpick came out clean and the top was nicely crusted over. I made a loaf. Muffins may work better.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reads like it's good. Did you use 2 or 4 bananas? Any idea as to carb count any one?
I used 3, and then 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce b/c I didn't have a 4th banana.

Have no idea on the carb counts as I don't count them, I'm just "aware" of how carby something is. We got 8 good sized slices out of it though, so that's like 1/2 of a banana each, 1/4 cup of almond flour, 1/4 of a Tablespoon of honey, and 1/2 an egg.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Unfortunately for me this recipe did spike me, ... a lot :( I agree that it needs to be baked longer as mine also turned out too moist in the middle. I would be tempted to cover it with foil during the last 20-30 minutes of baking just so it doesn't get too brown.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately for me this recipe did spike me, ... a lot :( I agree that it needs to be baked longer as mine also turned out too moist in the middle. I would be tempted to cover it with foil during the last 20-30 minutes of baking just so it doesn't get too brown.
I think I'm an odd duck when it comes to this diabetes thing. I can eat fruit and white potatoes and even things made with regular sugar/honey/etc. without it bothering me, as long as I don't overeat it of course. But anything processed spikes me...even artificial sweeteners that are mixed with fillers like dextrose and maltodextrin.

Someone on the paleo board thread recommended using banana flavoring or extract instead of bananas... but then you're going to be missing the "liquid" portion of the recipe.

Just realized that I think I posted this recipe before... sorry if it's a repeat~!

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I have had really good luck with this recipe. Using green bananas, they have a high amount of resistant starch which lowers the spike.

Banana Nut Cake
Wife loves banana nut bread so I put this together for her. Came out way better than I would have imagined.

I used green cooking bananas, rock hard, and really hard to peel. They have way less of an impact on our BG's.

2 cups of blanch almonds, ground to a flour, food processor
3 rock hard green bananas, ground to a paste, food processor
1 cup of greek yogurt
1/4 cup of coconut oil
3 eggs
1 cup splenda
cinn
nutmeg
dash of salt
1 tsp of baking soda
1 tsp of baking powder
1/2 cup of crushed walnuts

Green bananas have very little banana flavor, but when you add the nutmeg it makes the flavor really come out.

I mixed the eggs, greek yogurt, splenda, coconut oil in a mixer
I then added the almond flour, the green bananas, finally the baking soda, baking powder, salt, and walnuts. Baked in a 9x9 cake pan at 350 for nearly 45 minutes.

For the topping I used a 50/50 mix of cream cheese and heavy cream and splenda, whipped into a thick, stiff frosting

Was really good with my coffee this morning.

My premeal BG was 72, Dinner was Mahi stir fry with yellow squash, zuchs, onions, red pepper, green pepper, with a cream sauce. 1 hr PP was 89. I then ate two large pieces of this cake and was 98 in 1 hr PP, so a 9 pt rise, I'll take it. FBG this morning was 90, which is good considering we had a horrible thunderstorm which kept both of us up most of the night. The cats loved the storm as they peeked out from under the covers.

So I did a little homework. Green bananas have 18g of net carbs per medium banana, for a total of 54g in the whole cake, divided by 9 large pieces = 6g of carbs contribution from the green bananas. Now if you look at the amount of resistant starch in green bananas it can be as high as 58% if dried properly, probably less when used in their raw form.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think the problem with over ripe banannas is that as they ripen the sugars increase in them which would contribute to bg spikes in a lot of us. I have seen similar paleo recipes that use bananna flavoring instead.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I'm sure green bananas would work well, then you could add some flavoring if you wanted.

Like I said, I'm weird... I can eat a yellow banana without a spike either. I thought maybe because it's only about 1/2 a banana per slice that others might be able to have it too. I'm actually trying some of the paleo baked goods for my kids...I want to get them off the cereal in the mornings and my oldest doesn't want eggs but maybe once a week. Even tried homemade granola and he didn't like it. He's a very picky eater and a carb junkie.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I think I'm an odd duck when it comes to this diabetes thing. I can eat fruit and white potatoes and even things made with regular sugar/honey/etc. without it bothering me, as long as I don't overeat it of course. But anything processed spikes me...even artificial sweeteners that are mixed with fillers like dextrose and maltodextrin.

Someone on the paleo board thread recommended using banana flavoring or extract instead of bananas... but then you're going to be missing the "liquid" portion of the recipe.

Just realized that I think I posted this recipe before... sorry if it's a repeat~!
\

Nah...you're not an odd duck, lucky maybe :), but not an odd duck. It just goes to show that we're all different and what one of us can eat w/o problems, another person cannot!

Processed things spike me as well. I used to LOVE cappuccino in the morning, even bought the sugar free creamer and the flavored splenda. That ended up being a disaster and now I can no longer enjoy my beloved cappuccino. Having to give that up made me very unhappy. :(

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have had really good luck with this recipe. Using green bananas, they have a high amount of resistant starch which lowers the spike.

Banana Nut Cake
Wife loves banana nut bread so I put this together for her. Came out way better than I would have imagined.

I used green cooking bananas, rock hard, and really hard to peel. They have way less of an impact on our BG's.

2 cups of blanch almonds, ground to a flour, food processor
3 rock hard green bananas, ground to a paste, food processor
1 cup of greek yogurt
1/4 cup of coconut oil
3 eggs
1 cup splenda
cinn
nutmeg
dash of salt
1 tsp of baking soda
1 tsp of baking powder
1/2 cup of crushed walnuts

Green bananas have very little banana flavor, but when you add the nutmeg it makes the flavor really come out.

I mixed the eggs, greek yogurt, splenda, coconut oil in a mixer
I then added the almond flour, the green bananas, finally the baking soda, baking powder, salt, and walnuts. Baked in a 9x9 cake pan at 350 for nearly 45 minutes.

For the topping I used a 50/50 mix of cream cheese and heavy cream and splenda, whipped into a thick, stiff frosting

Was really good with my coffee this morning.

My premeal BG was 72, Dinner was Mahi stir fry with yellow squash, zuchs, onions, red pepper, green pepper, with a cream sauce. 1 hr PP was 89. I then ate two large pieces of this cake and was 98 in 1 hr PP, so a 9 pt rise, I'll take it. FBG this morning was 90, which is good considering we had a horrible thunderstorm which kept both of us up most of the night. The cats loved the storm as they peeked out from under the covers.

So I did a little homework. Green bananas have 18g of net carbs per medium banana, for a total of 54g in the whole cake, divided by 9 large pieces = 6g of carbs contribution from the green bananas. Now if you look at the amount of resistant starch in green bananas it can be as high as 58% if dried properly, probably less when used in their raw form.

Thank you for sharing your recipe. I hope when I go to the store this weekend that they have some green bananas so I can try this recipe. Also, thank you for doing the homework about the carb content. Your wife is a lucky lady to have a husband that is such a good cook.

Reactions: MCS

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I've been making my own English Muffins for breakfast with flaxseed, almond meal and chia seed, egg, Baking Powder, salt and spices or herbs. It tastes great and can be toasted. Today I made a grilled cheese pananni with it. Tomorrow I am going to try french toast with it. The recipe is posed in the Recipe section. The best part about it is that it keeps my bgs below 100. I ate 1/2 the paninni for breakfast and the other half for lunch with some of MCS's fudge. My 2 hour bgs were 85. Now that is a number I like. Someone on another forum sliced the muffin and created a hole in the middle and fried an egg in it in a frying pan.

Reactions: MCS
1 - 11 of 11 Posts