The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed T1 back in June. My carb ratios have gradually decreased, requiring more bolus insulin over time(currently about 1:8), but I have very low basal requirements. Until recently I was using no basal insulin at all and only recently added in 2 units of lantus daily. It seems odd that I require so much bolus insulin, but very little basal. I wake with only slightly higher BG than at bedtime. My diabetes educator seems confused as well. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I'm a Type 2, but also on insulin.

As I understand it, newly diagnosed Type 1s sometimes have a "honeymoon" period, during which their insulin requirements are reduced or non-existent. If that's the case for you, you may be coming to the end of that "honeymoon."

In my own experience, when my bolus requirements suddenly rise for no reason, I end up having to tweak my basal up a notch.

And then again, some folks who are on a "24-hour" basal (mine's a 12-hour-ish type) find that splitting up the doses -- one in the morning, one at night -- helps them get back on track. They may need to take more in the morning, when carb resistance is often higher, than in the evening. If that's the case for you, it may take a bit of tweaking and re-tweaking to find the right combination.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts