The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just received my Bayer A1C test kit today. I ordered the 10 pack. This was not a cheap item. The expiration on the kit is 12/05/2010. This means that I will have to do one test per month and test twice in one month just to use it by the expiration date. I have emailed the supplier asking them to replace the kit with one with a longer expiration date. Am I out of line by asking them to replace the kit? I usually do not complain, but...When I purchased the kit, I planned on testing every month except the months when my doctor tests my A1C. I thought the kit would last at least 14 months. Hey, has anyone used this test? The kit said that it does not need to be refrigerated if used within 120 days. I put it in the fridge anyway. Who knows how long it has been unrefrigerated. :mad:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You are absoLUTEly not outta line requesting items with longer expiration periods! If there's a limit on how long they can keep, then that needs to be addressed in describing the item before someone buys it!

And you're right - wonder how long it's been unrefrigerated thus far?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I contacted the supplier by email and the supplier said that their current shipment of the A1C kits had a 1/10/2011 expiration. They said if I wanted to ship the old kit back that I could. They also told me that there was a 2-3 month safety factor built in. I told the supplier that Bayer did not mention a 2-3 month safety factor in their product insert, so I would just be taking the word of the supplier. I am keeping the original kit and will test once a month. I hope the tests come out ok.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Makes sense to me . . . if their newest stuff has barely a month longer expiration - hardly worth the hassle. Criminy!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would go for the longer Expiration. If I'm not mistaken the A1C looks at the last 3 months, so it seems like kinda a waste to test every month, you would be better off every 3 months to get your money's worth. Also if you keep track of your sugars you can do a rough estimate based off your 3 month average. Take your average BG, Subtract 90 then divide by 3.... now multiply your resulting number by .1 and add 5.... That will give you a rough hga1c.

or the equation....

((AvgBlood-90)/3) * .1 +5 = Rough HgA1c Estimate

if your in canada you need to multiply your mmol avg by 18.

Obvoiusly not as good as doing the test but if your trying to keep track or give yourself guidance for you next dr visit this will help you make sense of it without the cost.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the Bayer and I dont know if I am going to do it again. Yes its nice to know but I can see off the meter the average and doing the math as posted in the last thread and that is fairly close for me. I go in every three- 4months for my med check with my Dr and he said he would run the lab A1C for me and not to waste my money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts