The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made this a few weeks ago and it got raves. The original recipe is from the Wicked Stuffed Web site. I've listed my notes below.

Since it's WS's recipe, I'll link to it here

The recipe calls for 2 lbs ground beef, an onion, a bell pepper, a quart of tomato juice, a 28 oz can of tomatoes, a 15 oz can of pumpkin, and spices.

- Wicked Stuffed uses the "net carb" approach, so they subtract fiber grams from total carbohydrate grams. I don't use the "net carb" approach. So I used only 24 oz of tomato juice and half the tomatoes. The resulting chili is thicker, but that's not a problem for me.

- Make sure the pumpkin you buy is not pie-filling mix -- just 100% pumpkin.

- Since bell peppers and I don't get along, I substituted green beans. You don't have to. Yeah, you lose the color a red bell would add. But the texture and shape can be roughly the same and green beans have slightly fewer grams of carbs.

- The recipe states that a serving is 1.5 cups. I cut that down to a cup and it still was a satisfying serving. Cut some cucumber slices or make a small lettuce salad if you want and you'll still be really low on carbs. Truth be told, you probably don't need to reduce the tomato content if you're cutting the serving size that much. But sometimes I like second helpings. :smile2:

- Add heat to taste. One of us really likes heat :smokin:; the other does not. So I used just 1 tsp of cayenne. You can always add more.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This sounds good. I think I would add some Rotel tomatoes in there. Curious how the pumpkin will taste? I will try it the next time I make chili!

·
Super Moderator
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This sounds good. I think I would add some Rotel tomatoes in there. Curious how the pumpkin will taste?
Thanks.

The original recipe calls for more tomatoes than I used because adding tomatoes adds carbohydrates, and then the dish wouldn't fit well into ketogenic eating plans. But if your eating plan can stand the additional grams of carbohydrates, go for it! :smile2:

I, too, wondered how the pumpkin (and pumpkin spice!) would taste in the chili. You really don't taste the pumpkin; it's function is to add body to the chili, making it different from a soup or stew. The spices are not uncommon in what's called "Cincinnati Chili" so they didn't seem really odd to me, either. Give it a try!

Reactions: Rhall

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
This sounds (and looks) so good! I'll probably make it after my next trip to the grocery store. I'll probably cut down on the tomatoes also, but love the bell peppers. Thanks for the recipe!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts