The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This maybe an odd topic but is something that is really concerning me and is something that I am having a hard time figuring out how to do & it seems to be a real catch 22 for me. I was never really over weight at 185 lbs and 6'11/2" when diagnosed in Jan. Now 8 months later I have dropped under 165& looking very thin. Gone from a 34" waist to a 32 or maybe less. Nothing fits & I am looking too thin & my baggy clothes don't help. It is a bit of a riddle for me. If I eat too much my BG goes up and I exercise to lower & burn off those calories plus some so off comes the weight. If I eat less the BG maybe good but not enough cals to maintain my weight. Feeling like I am losing this battle along with the fat I feel like I am losing muscle mass & waisting away to nothing. It's really starting to scare me :( to the point of saying F-it. I really hope there are some words of wisdom coming my way to assist in my own little battle. HBS

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
What medications are you on and how are your bgs? If your bgs are still high, above 140 your body maybe not getting the nourishment from the food you are eating. Also adding protein and fat to your meals may work. Most D's once they start insulin and manage their bgs the weight loss usually stabalises and they start to regain.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am T2 and on 750 mg Metformin per day - more insulin is not an option. Only option is increasing Metformin right now.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jwags said:
What medications are you on and how are your bgs? If your bgs are still high, above 140 your body maybe not getting the nourishment from the food you are eating. Also adding protein and fat to your meals may work. Most D's once they start insulin and manage their bgs the weight loss usually stabalises and they start to regain.
I am T2 no additional insulin at the moment. I eat lots of protein almonds fish chicken eggs iso whey protein nuts of all kinds. Just weight myself at 164.4 lbs. I don't mind that weight if I look ripped but I just look skinny.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If I were you, HBS, I'd add more fats to all the protein you're eating - you might even reduce the protein somewhat, since it can raise BG if eaten in large enough quantities. Fat adds calories without messing with your BG, and it provides energy too, for your exercising.

I'm not advocating deep-fried butter-on-a-stick (although just ONCE I'd like to try that Iowa State Fair delicacy! :D), but you could increase your fats by buttering your veggies, frying your fish/chicken/eggs in coconut oil or butter, using heavy dairy cream in your coffee & eating bacon with your eggs . . . you see what I'm sayin'? If you're a bleu cheese fan, full-fat bleu cheese dressing on salad is a splendid way to add fat to your diet. And scratch all the low-fat or fat-free products - they're carbier anyhow and they just don't taste as good as the real thing.

Good luck . . . we really hadn't intended getting you suspenders for Christmas this year . . . ;)

·
Registered
460 Posts
BG isn't about calories unless they come from Carbohydrates -- and to a lesser extent Protein.

Calories are a measure of energy and if you get your energy from Fat it does not raise your BG.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks been trying to get more fat from all the almonds I eat. Regarding my BG its gone from the 5's to the high 6's and after meal numbers over 10. I may just try upping my metformin to 1000mg per day if it does not start coming back down

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thanks been trying to get more fat from all the almonds I eat. Regarding my BG its gone from the 5's to the high 6's and after meal numbers over 10. I may just try upping my metformin to 1000mg per day if it does not start coming back down
That's prob'ly a good idea - can't hurt, that's for sure. I take 1000mg twice a day.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Thanks been trying to get more fat from all the almonds I eat.
Macadamia Nuts! They're 90% fat and a jar of them from CVS has 1500 calories. I could eat a jar in an afternoon, and would if I didn't need to lose vs gain weight. They're not cheap though - about $10 ...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I know what u mean about the weight loss I was down to 149 at 5'9 but normalized now at 160. I think a good idea is to make sure that u have ur daily calorie intake, for someone ur size it should be over 2000. Do to the nature of my job I permit myself something high in fat and a little more carbs at lunch to help keep up with the rest of my day.

Be careful with increasing the Met because it could potentially decrease your appetite. Hence eating less.

You got awesome advise up to now just keep going and try different things to see what works for u.

Sent from my iPod touch using Diabetes

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks MOOM & AF :). Forgot about Mac Nuts - remember how I put on almost 20 lbs in 2 weeks in hawaii
Eating them along with the coconut drinks :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts