Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Bed time snack

4K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  DarrenO 
#1 ·
Being new to type 2 I am slowly trying to figure the best way to manage my BG. I notice that my bed time readings are consistently lower than my FBG readings in the AM. So this is as a result of liver dump, if I understand things right. I have been trying to snack right before I go to bed, but this does not seem to help. So I am wondering if I should snack on something different.

So my question is, what is your bed time snack?

#2 ·
What do you snack on?

I usually have a stick of string cheese, or some deli meat with mayo/mustard, especially if I'm lower than I'd like at bedtime. (NOTE: I'm talking lower, not a true low! So far, I haven't gotten any of those.)

As I understand it, high protein/fat snacks will release glucose slowly through the night, which would tend to keep levels on a more even keel.

#3 ·
What i have been snacking on has been a pepper jack cheese stick. Last night before bed I was 124, and this morning I was 139. My carb intake yesterday was under 40 carbs too. So a good day on that side of things.

#4 · (Edited)
Readings of 124 and 139 might not be as far off as they seem. You could have tested that 124 again and come up with 130 - and the 139 again and come up with 130 - representing <10% change - or an even bigger variance. That's not to say don't look at the trends, but from one PM-AM I'd not read too much into it.

I've graphed my tests over the last 3 months in Excel and it's amazing the huge swings I had in the beginning - like crazy USGS earthquake readings! The graph line gets tighter and tighter with a narrower range in time, so much of this sorted itself out with time.

That's not say my body doesn't live on a faultline though ...

#5 ·
After I'd been on Atkins for a bit, I found a site which would let me input my readings and graph them and I learned mine were making a straight line...generally between 90 and 120 and I relaxed a lot. Wish I could remember what it was, but maybe a search out there would help you. It was very comforting to me at the time.

#6 ·
Most of us experiment to see what works. I actually stopped eating a late night snack to get bgs lower. If I want a bg below 100 then my before bed reading needs to be below 100, too. So I have lowered my carb levels and upped my metformin to achieve that. Snacks do help some people, but not all of us.

#7 ·
I have a small bowl of regular ice cream and it helps my morning readings. Sounds strange, but I just can't eat protien at bedtime...

#8 ·
I usually have either:

1) 1/3C of nuts (almonds and/or peanuts usually)
2) Protein Shake (Some DaVinci syrup will add flavor to my regular vanilla, if I'm bored)
3) Granny Smith Apple slices with Natural Peanut Butter dip. Usually 1/2 of the apple and 2TBSP of Peanut Butter.

Those are my norms, anyway...

#10 ·
well i need to find something new. i have been eating some cheese before bed. If i watch what i eat at dinner i will have a BG of around 105 bfore bed. but my morning readings are still in the 120 range. i would like to help reduce that morning high.

#11 · (Edited)
I can't remember whether I saw this on the forum or somewhere else online, but I read if you eat a tablespoon of peanut butter before bed it will keep you from having a liver dump. Don't know if it is true and I'm not recommending it, but maybe worth a try.

If anyone tries this, please let us know whether or not it works 'cause I'm having the same problem and probably many others are too. I'd try it myself, but don't have sf peanut butter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.