The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, is there something I can eat before bedtime that might help keep my Bg lower during sleepy time? My numbers are always highest when I wake up. I'm not on any meds (yet), the doc has me monitoring my numbers before each meal and at bedtime. I next appt. is the 15th and he will decide then. This morning it was 132, which is not good. :(

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I tried a variety of things -- carbs, protein, fat ... and found the earlier I ate my last food, the better.

And I am levemir to cover that morning rise, already.

Some people do think protein snacks help though. Other do think carb snacks help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A general rule my doc told me about is 15-30 grams of carbs and about an ounce (7 grams) of protein for a bedtime snack. Last night it was a glass of skim milk and 3 graham crackers which gave me approximately 30 grams of carbs, 8 grams of protein and 170 calories.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
A general rule my doc told me about is 15-30 grams of carbs and about an ounce (7 grams) of protein for a bedtime snack. Last night it was a glass of skim milk and 3 graham crackers which gave me approximately 30 grams of carbs, 8 grams of protein and 170 calories.
And what was your morning reading?

That is about half the carbs I eat, all DAY! :eek:

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm with you Linda. The later I eat, the worse my blood sugar is in the a.m.. This is unfortunate, as DH and I don't usually eat dinner til 8 or 8:30 p.m. at the earliest:(. The lighter I keep those late-night dinners carbwise, the better off I am in the morning. If we eat earlier, I can usually tolerate a couple of crackers with cheese.

Jen

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I try to keep my bedtime snacks <15 grams. The earlier I eat it, the better my FBS is the next morning. If I eat anything after about 10, my number is screwed the next morning.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! So last night I had half a bag of light butter micro popcorn @ 9pm. My BG was 107 this morning. Tonight I'm gonna try some almonds and walnuts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts