The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my favorites comes back to life for me. Once I figured out that CarbQuick Low carb biscuit mix makes a reLly good thickner for gravies.

I made big pot, like leftovers.

3.5 lbs of Chuckeye steak and mock tender steak, cubed
3 bags of mixed veggies, I used a japanes blend that had water chestnuts, they are little carby though.
Couple gloves garlic, minced

Browned the meat and garlic in a half stick of butter, transfered to pot and was sure to include all of the dripping.
Added a quart of beef stock and the three bags of veggies. I also added, Thymne, Basil, Salt, Pepper, and some crushed red pepper. Let boil hard for 30 minutes or so.

In another sauce pan I placed a half stick butter and a couple tbls of the carb quick. Fried this for few minutes then added some heavy cream, stirring constatly. Added more heavy cream to match what Ithought I was goig to need for the stew.

Turned the heat to medium and poured the heavy cream into the stew and simmered for a few minutes. Thick rich beef stew no man could resist.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Where do you find carbquik? Is it like bisquick?

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Reactions: MCS and 1970clea

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have to order it online from netrition. If you only use it for thickening stews its well worth it.

A side note, I also made a chicken pot pie using the carbquick. Rot. chicken, cut up, I used a bag of mixed veggies and little chicken broth. Thickened it with the technique as the stew. Laid it in a cake pan when thick. I took a cup or so of the carbquick and a cup of cheddar cheese, garlic powder, coconut oil, salt, pepper and turned onthe food processor. added a few drops of heavy cream to make a dense dough. Rolled it out flat and made a covering for the chicken. Baked at 400 for 20 minutes or so. Man it was good is all I can say.

Where do you find carbquik? Is it like bisquick?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I made beef stew the other day, my original old recipe calls for a can of cream of mushroom soup which I didn't have. So I decided to use a half a can of coconut milk. It was so good and made a thick gravy. BG's before bed were 99.

Reactions: Dodie37737 and MCS
1 - 6 of 6 Posts