The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have posted but it is hard with two kids in school and a million and one activities. With that being said, I am def making time to keep up with you guys and post my fastings and a1cs. You keep me on track and I trust this place more than doctors.......

I got a flu shot and the pneumonia vaccine on Monday. In the same arm which is apparently a big no no. I started running a fever and having chills so I called the doctor and they wanted me to come back in to check for the flu. Instead of that it is CELLULITIS where they gave me the shots. I am so pissed. I known it isn't their fault but I would never be getting these shot if it wasn't for the big D. I have to take an antibiotic four times a day and they took blood and urine for cultures. I have felt like I am dying and now I am just pissed. Thanks for listening.

Oh and my A1c on Monday was 5.3.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well, I think it WAS their fault, because cellulitis is a bacterial infection (usually strep or staph), and since they seem to have admitted it got in when they gave the shots, that doesn't speak well for them. You have every right to be pissed.

And speaking of those two kids of yours, just let me say I enjoy so much seeing your pix at FB. :hug:

Feel better soon.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
"Oh" she says, by the way, almost slipped her mind, your A1C was a non-stinky 5.3 !!

Awesomeness. Pure and simple.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hey Jenn? Any lab results on the blood/urine tests they did? After Justin's episode today, I'm getting squirrelly about some of these infections. Just me in my old mother hen hat, but still . . .

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Great to see your phosphors again!

Infection? Doctors' fault, aaaalllll the way. :flame:

Your A1C? Your credit, aaaalllll the way!

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Jenn? Any lab results on the blood/urine tests they did? After Justin's episode today, I'm getting squirrelly about some of these infections. Just me in my old mother hen hat, but still . . .
I haven't heard anything but it takes 48 hours so it won't be til Monday. I feel a lot better though! No fever today. I hope that makes u feel better! And I need a mother hen! Love you Shanny!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why get a flu shot because of diabetes? I ask because I adamantly refuse to get the flu shot. I never have and I never get the flu.
I have never had the flu either but I have been getting the flu shot since I was pregnant for the first time. The doctor said I had to because the flu is so dangerous to diabetics. I really like my dr and he supports my low carb woe so I don't argue too much but I might next year if I still have a good A1C. What do u guys think?

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well, a cousin of mine died suddenly last year at this time, having had the flu. He was diabetic, but I don't know how well controlled. What I suspect is that his diabetes was even more out-of-control during the flu episode, and just when he thought he was getting better, he went into DKA. He was 50 years old and a 'skinny' diabetic . . . could've even been type 1 or LADA, but his family didn't really know much about it, except that he 'took insulin'.

I haven't had a flu shot this year, but I got one for years, because when OWC's dad was alive, he would call all the kids home for Thanksgiving dinner and then vaccinate everybody! He was the archtypical old country GP, and none of us ever argued with him about the shots. :rolleyes: I've never gotten sick from the shots, but my doc doesn't press too hard either. He had OWC in the office the other day, and gave him one, but didn't cast an eye in my direction.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[quote="Shanny;]I haven't had a flu shot this year, but I got one for years, because when OWC's dad was alive, he would call all the kids home for Thanksgiving dinner and then vaccinate everybody! He was the archtypical old country GP, and none of us ever argued with him about the shots. :rolleyes: I've never gotten sick from the shots, but my doc doesn't press too hard either. He had OWC in the office the other day, and gave him one, but didn't cast an eye in my direction.[/quote]

Sorry about your cousin. I guess that is why I get the shot. What if I become uncontrolled when I am sick?

But I love your story about Thanksgiving vaccinations. Hysterical!

It's like vaccinating a herd of cows on the farm!

Reactions: foxl and Shanny

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
I have never had the flu either but I have been getting the flu shot since I was pregnant for the first time. The doctor said I had to because the flu is so dangerous to diabetics. I really like my dr and he supports my low carb woe so I don't argue too much but I might next year if I still have a good A1C. What do u guys think?
The only time in my life I've ever gotten a flu shot was in the military. Haven't gotten one since I got out, don't plan on getting one either.

I think a lot of these "because you're a diabetic" drugs are hooey. Just ask the doc if they would suggest any of them to people with normal BG? If they say they wouldn't, and your BG is good, well there's your answer.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I haven't had the true flu since I was a child. I have gotten the shot for the last 13 yrs because I was working with children with compromised immune systems. Now I work with K-2 students who are little germ factories. Since dad is in a nursing home now I don't want to contract anything that could make the residents sick. Plus after experiencing DKA I wouldn't want to go through that again. I didn't know about the same arm thing though. They gave me a flu and pneumonia shot in the same arm before I left the hospital with the DKA. YOUCH!! Couldn't lift my arm above shoulder height for a couple of days.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Why get a flu shot because of diabetes? I ask because I adamantly refuse to get the flu shot. I never have and I never get the flu.
The last time I got flu before dx, I had lung crackles. Maybe b/c my blood sugars were high, or I had a Vit D deficiency. But once you have D you are considered "immunocompromised." I get mine.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Sorry about your cousin. I guess that is why I get the shot. What if I become uncontrolled when I am sick?

But I love your story about Thanksgiving vaccinations. Hysterical!

It's like vaccinating a herd of cows on the farm!
HAHAHA!!! It is a good story.

I got an upper resp thing this fall, first time I ran a fever since dx, and my blood sugar ran in the 300's - 280's for several days -- and high fro a couple weeks after that. It was enough for me to have a couple episodes of gastroparesis -- and I mean hypos before my stomach emptied.

You guys do NOT want complications like that, due to stupid flu!!!!

And hi, stinky -- good to hear from ya!!!:cell::cell::cell:

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
My endo told me this week that Vit D is very important as she wrote the prescription for tamiflu, so I'm taking lots of it in anticipation of my flight next week to spend C'mas with my kids and g'kids.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HAHAHA!!! It is a good story.

I got an upper resp thing this fall, first time I ran a fever since dx, and my blood sugar ran in the 300's - 280's for several days -- and high fro a couple weeks after that. It was enough for me to have a couple episodes of gastroparesis -- and I mean hypos before my stomach emptied.

You guys do NOT want complications like that, due to stupid flu!!!!

And hi, stinky -- good to hear from ya!!!:cell::cell::cell:
I wouldn't check my blood sugar when my fever stayed so high. I mean, what was I going to do about it? I don't have insulin to take and it's not like I could exercise. Once less thing to worry about of I didn't know what it was. I know that's terrible too thought.:confused:

Reactions: foxl

·
Super Moderator
9,633 Posts
I was a military brat and had no choice. My parents would take us to get flu shots when in the states, but overseas they gave them in school. Back then it was live virus and I would always get sick as a dog. After back in the civilian world, I did not take flu shots because getting the flu was the lesser of the two evils.

Several years after getting married and BH taking flu shots which were killed virus, she convinced me to start taking them again. Seems when I did get the flu after that it was always claimed to be the other version than what I was vaccinated against. This year they say they are vaccinating against 4 strains. I opted to take my chances.

Reactions: Tamagno

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Well, I take my chances too. Haven't had a flu shot in maybe 20 years and haven't had the flu.

I'm around germy adolescents all day from around the world. I figure I develop immunity to many strains of the flu from constant exposure.

On the other hand, my immune system is a couple of cans shy a six-pack lately and a bout with the flu would be bad.

I'm thinking about it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts