The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Protein question

I just learned from reading a post that protein is converted by the liver into glucose at about 65% rate. I assume this means protein can raise bg levels.

I am on a high fat/low carb diet, counting carbs but not limiting myself when it comes to protein. I am not on any meds. Can someone who is not on meds and is on high fat/low carb please tell me whether or not you limit protein, and if so, how much do you allow yourself per day?

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
I am at a point where I don't count much of anything. A long as there are as close to zero carbs as possible, im ok with it

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Protein can raise BG if you eat enough of it & people on insulin often have to bolus for it.

I do a lot like Eric does - prob'ly not so strict - but I just don't eat carby food period and I don't limit protein or fats. Tonight we had beef stir-fry which was loaded with veggies like broccoli, mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, Italian Romano beans & cashew nuts. I didn't fix any rice or low mein - I just ate the stir-fry by itself while DH sprinkled a few chow mein in his bowl. I have no idea the carb count of the stir-fry, but it couldn't be high - all else was in it was bottom round steak marinated in sweetened (with Ideal brown sweetener) soy sauce & fried in sesame oil. So I don't bother counting/computing. I just don't eat 'em. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts