The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been diagnosed as Type 2 two years ago and take Metformin 500mg twice daily. I have not changed my diet as suggested by my doctor but now have a relative who is suffering from severe diabetes complications. I have decided to change my diet and need your help to keep motivated. I appreciate any suggestions, thank you.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

This is a great group of people to hang out with. We have one thing in common, other than having diabetes, in that we are determined to gain good control over our diabetes and live long, healthy lives free of diabetes complications.

There are two things that we have found that give us success in controlling our blood sugar levels. We will be happy to guide you to a way of eating that will give you success and not failure.

1) Greatly reducing the very food that causes a rise in blood glucose (BG) in the first place. Carbohydrates. To this end we eat low-carb (under 50grams of carbs per day, some even less than that). We also increase our fat consumption in order to replace the energy usually gained from carbs. This way of eating is call low-carb/high-fat (LCHF) and as you read through the threads in this forum you will find that this is the first-line of defense for the members here.

2) Test BG level before and after meals. While many medical professionals will tell diabetics that they don't need to test more than once a day (morning "fasting" level), we have found from experience that if one wants to know what's really going on one has to test more than that. When one discovers that a certain food is raising BG too high, one then can make the decision to cut that food out. This method is called "eat to your meter", a term you will find often in this forum.

At first glance this may seem like a lot of work. And it is at first. Anything worthwhile comes with a cost. For diabetics, gaining control is a top priority. And the folks on this forum have found a way that works, and works well and quickly.

I would suggest that you read other members' introduction threads, where you will see first-hand how others are taking this journey toward diabetes control and have succeeded.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
I should have given you the link to Blood Sugar 101 which will fill in any gaps you have about what diabetes is - to the point that you'll most likely know more about D than your doctors.

Within this site is a section called "How To Lower Your Blood Sugar" which is the testing protocol we call "eat to your meter".

·
Registered
220 Posts
Welcome! You can do this!

My A1c was 7.0 in December, and by March it was 5.5, done solely through eating LCHF and very moderate exercise. (I did maybe a mile walking the first few weeks, and now am up to maybe 3 a day, some days more. Nothing drastic.)

I am also down between 40 and 50 pounds... without feeling hungry. I eat all I want, just not carbs.

Good luck!

·
Registered
970 Posts
I guess I'm having trouble understanding why you need "motivation" from us, when you have such a perfect example of the consequences of neglected, untreated diabetes right in front of you.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
177 Posts
the best motivation I can think of is- Good Health..
you can do this and enjoy your life with increased energy and a smile to carry you through your day ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all. I guess what I call motivation, I'll get from success stories. Even though I have an example of consequences of poor diet/exercise, I need to hear success stories like mbc 1963's and positive suggestions from all of you esp. in my temptations.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
You are more likely to get information from members if you start sharing some information about yourself with them.

What is your current HbA1c? And perhaps you might care to describe your current diet, the changes that your doctor suggested and your reasons for not implementing them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My current HbA1C is 6.5. My doctor suggests that I mentally divide my plate in half, half veggies, quarter protein, other quarter carbs (like brown rice, sweet potato, whole wheat pasta/bread etc). My main problem is finding snacking choices esp. since fruit ( 5 per day) and sweet milky snacks (ice cream/milkshakes, fudge, rich desserts, pastries and cakes) are my norm. I find these hard to give up. My doctor suggested 2 fruit portions per day based on the Low Glycemic Index ones, almonds (11), and low fat yogurt as snacks. I am having difficulty getting rid of the sugar cravings.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Thank you all. I guess what I call motivation, I'll get from success stories. Even though I have an example of consequences of poor diet/exercise, I need to hear success stories like mbc 1963's and positive suggestions from all of you esp. in my temptations.
Success stories abound, here.

I hope you enjoy reading them.

As for your "temptations, only you can solve that one. As has been suggested, don't have those things around.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I am in the right place then. As for the snacks, I will avoid buying the bad ones. Thanks
Better than "I will avoid buying the bad ones." discontinue them. Eat at meal time, and only at meal time. Don't buy any snacks.

You need to fundamentally change your eating behavior, both in content and in timing.

If you have done any reading here, as we have suggested repeatedly, you should be saturated with success stories, by now.

It's your turn.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am just reading about the LCHF diet, getting Riis of snacks will be hard. I will have to do this gradually to break the habit. I will try drinking lots of water to keep filled. Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
I am just reading about the LCHF diet, getting Riis of snacks will be hard. I will have to do this gradually to break the habit. I will try drinking lots of water to keep filled. Thanks for the advice.
Try eating lots of fats to keep filled. Works much better than water and you'll find that you may not even be interested in snacks.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Losing your eyesight, dialysis lab three days a week or so, and losing toes and/ or feet is "hard" too.

It' really hard to be "positive" about complications.

You're just making it harder, but it's clearly your choice.

Reactions: Shalynne and Shanny

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm a snacker! I snack on almonds, carrots, veggie sticks with ranch, Greek yogurt ( chocolate on top is my favorite right now😉) peanut butter pretzels, mixed nuts, wheat crackers, some granola bars and there are more but these are the tops!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts