The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was diagnosed as type 2 last January; one of the items of my hospital discharge instructions was to attend a diabetes education program.
I attended that program last February. And during that program the diabetes educator said eating Benecol will help reduce cholesterol. So shortly after the program I started adding Benecol Light to my breakfast sandwhich.

But here's the catch. I'm not eating the Benecol as a replacement for butter or margarine; I'm eating it as an addition to my breakfast.
So four months later (sometimes I can be a little slow) I'm starting to wonder if Benecol reduces cholesterol when it's used as a replacement for butter or as an addition to diet.

Benecol's website has two statements that only confuse the matter.

One statement is:
"BENECOL® Spreads contain a plant-derived ingredient that actually lowers your cholesterol."

The other statement is:
"Just 2-3 servings a day, in place of your usual spread, can actually lower your cholesterol levels. "

I asked my dietitian; but she wasn't certain.

So how/when does Benecol reduce cholesterol; as a replacement for butter or as an addition to your diet ?

--ET

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I would think it would reduce your cholesterol by replacing the butter. If butter raises cholesterol then removing the butter would somewhat halt the rise. But most People need a replacement. So replacing it with a cholesterol-lowering spread(since some People's cholesterol will rise from other things), makes sense.

By addition they don't mean add it to another spread, they mean add it to your diet. Some People don't use spreads.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts