The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have two meters one is an inControl n the other is a Freestyle... Neither strips are covered by my insurance. There's no way I can pay this out if pocket if im going to test as often as I should.

What can anyone recommend that's affordable n accurate?

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
You can get most strips on Amazon for between 25-35 per 100, depending on the meter. Or, a lot of people use Walmart's Relion meter where strips are a little under 25 per 100.

Watch out for free meters too. Though not a frequent score, they often come with 50 free strips.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you that is really helpful. I wouldn't have thought to get them on Amazon. I had been relying on samples from the nurses who'd been so nice. Lol

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Thank you that is really helpful. I wouldn't have thought to get them on Amazon. I had been relying on samples from the nurses who'd been so nice. Lol
ACK - I meant per 50 ... sorry :(

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AprilRenee said:
Walmart has Reli On which is only $8.98 for meter and $19.98 for 50 test strips. These are the most affordable ones I have found. Hope this helps :)
Thank for the info. That is a lot less than what I have to pay for mine. Good to know : )

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
ReliOn has been my choice since the beginning - I don't have the money either, and now that I'm on Medicare, they'll only pay for 1 strip a day, so that's no help! I'm using the ReliOn Confirm right now - have used the Ultima in the past.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My insurance doesn't cover my strips either until I meet a huge deductible so I buy mine on Amazon. I just go with the cheapest strips I can buy. I like the Bayer Contour which cost me around $42 for 100. Never buy at the pharmacy they are total rip offs at $110 per 100.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jwags said:
My insurance doesn't cover my strips either until I meet a huge deductible so I buy mine on Amazon. I just go with the cheapest strips I can buy. I like the Bayer Contour which cost me around $42 for 100. Never buy at the pharmacy they are total rip offs at $110 per 100.
Oh my gosh... That's exactly right ... They want to charge me $112 for 100 strips...that's ridiculous.. Why do I even pay for insurance? Lol

I will definitely look into refilling through Amazon... Thank you!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shanny said:
ReliOn has been my choice since the beginning - I don't have the money either, and now that I'm on Medicare, they'll only pay for 1 strip a day, so that's no help! I'm using the ReliOn Confirm right now - have used the Ultima in the past.
One strip a day? What a joke... Almost like they're keeping us sick...

My aunt just had a double mastectomy and they wouldn't perform her surgery until she paid $15,000 out of pocket... The bill was something like a mill not including her reconstruction...it angers me to know that if you can't afford a necessary operation like hers your pretty much left for dead...

I will definitely loon into getting a relion... Most of the responses said to either get that or refill on Amazon... Thank you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts