The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new, and don't know which is the easiest and least painful tester, Shanny had recommend one but its exclusive to Walmart, no Walmarts near me:(
Please give me your favorites:D

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I am new, and don't know which is the easiest and least painful tester, Shanny had recommend one but its exclusive to Walmart, no Walmarts near me:(
Please give me your favorites:D
Bayer Breeze2 or Accu-Chek Compact Plus.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Most meter companies have programs on their websites where they give away the meter for free. I just got a Contour USB meter for free in the mail yesterday. The expensive part , though is the strips and that is how they get you hooked. The Relion strips that Shanny talked about are $39 per 100. At many pharmacies strips are $110-$120 per 100. You can buy the Relion meter and strips online at Walmart if you have no Walmarts near you. I use the Contour and buy my strips on Amazon. Most meters are fairly accurate but they all have a 10-20% margin of error. So if you are paying for the strips yourself, I would go with the cheapest.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
No you do not, but it sure makes the STRIPS cheaper if you can.

IMHO the best meter and strips is the one your insurance covers ... and barring that, the Relion. You might see if Wallyworld sells the relion online ...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well I personally prefer the freestyle mini. Though the accu-check performa is rather to my liking as well...

Also if I remember correctly 3 boxes of strips cost me arround $63 (160LTL)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have 8 different meters. Every doctor gives them out like candy and you can get them free online. I have to Countour USBs that I bought for 10 dollars each at the local rite aid on sale. I also bought my strips on amazon last year but now I'm under my mom's insurance again thanks to health care reform! so I get them for 25 for 200 at the pharmacy! I really recommend the USB countour. the fact is it seems to take not too much blood and it sucks it up fast. Not to mention you can plug it directly into your mac or PC and it gives you great information. The one draw back is that if you accidently shake your hand and just a tad bit less blood than necessary is pulled in it gives you an error message right away and you need to use a new strip. I don't know about other monitors but some of them seem to be more flexible in the amount of time you have to get the blood in there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok here is the sad truth.
All meters suck. Well, it’s not really the meters it’s having to test that sucks because it means toy have th have you meter with you and pay attention to it and buy supplies and poke yourself and on and on and on. On the other hand (pun not intended but pretty good) it eventually becomes just part of your life.

Unless you have some sort of specialized requirement like a need for a large display or big buttons all meters are about equal when it comes to ease of use they are all pretty equal some are fasters than others some take a smaller drop of blood. If those features are important to you they are available.

All other things being equal the best meter is the one that the test strips cost you the least.

Most manufactures will give you a free meter and small number of strips (like 10) with no strings attached. Try it out.

Prescriptions are not required for meters or strips by law. Check with your insurance company to see if it is required for coverage. They may be able to tell you which brand of test strips they cover with the lowers out of pocket expense.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
.... of course, there is also the question of durability, if you get PO'd and throw it a lot! :D No idea on what is better, for that!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Been there too

.... of course, there is also the question of durability, if you get PO'd and throw it a lot! :D No idea on what is better, for that!
I wish I could tell you I have no idea what you mean.

I can't speek to which one survuves a tantrum better, but for a satisfactory smash you can not beat the Freestyle Lite. They shatter real well when thrown against a brick wall. I assume a cinder block wall would be just as effective. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
the great thing about the bayer countour usb is that they give you a coupon for a free rubber case that comes 2 months later in the mail. Threw it pretty hard yesterday trying to have it land on the bed and it smashed into the wall. NO DAMAGE

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I can imagine looking at that stupid number, saying "I ate right, I counted my carbs and it is still #$%@#&* 145?!?!?!" and the meter ending up across the room against the wall. :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well, shoot! (Yes, I can spell better than that.)

I've been throwing out the food, brownies, pizza, ice cream. Should have thrown my meter instead.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts