The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of my medication bottles say take "mornings" some say take "evenings"... However I have no idea as to exactly when I should take them, i.e. before breakfast or after, before supper or after,etc. or does it matter...

bugg:confused:a little confused

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
This is something I've become more & more complacent about . . . prob'ly since I'm rarely up & about much before noon . . .
So my morning meds go down about noon & night meds go down after midnight. If something must be taken on an empty stomach, it goes in the morning meds, and anything that should be taken with food goes in evening meds, although that's even subject to change, since I also seem to have a castiron stomach & nothing much seems to cause an upset.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think it depends on the medication. I know my mom has Parkinson's Disease and her meds have to be taken on a strict schedule. I take metformin and have switched around the timings several times to find when I get the best results.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Metformin at night with dinner is what i did

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Some of my medication bottles say take "mornings" some say take "evenings"... However I have no idea as to exactly when I should take them, i.e. before breakfast or after, before supper or after,etc. or does it matter...

I take pills within 1/2 hour after getting up and then at 8PM, my Lantus at 9PM and my bedtime meds by 11PM. I take my Metformin after dinner, I have no side effects when I take it. Try and take your pills as prescribed and if in doubt whether to take before, with or after talk to your pharmacist.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts

Yes, I would be too. I suggest talking to your pharmacist with a list of the meds in hand and ask what is right. Otherwise, on you next appointment talk to your doctor. Some medications need to be be taken before meals for a reason while many it does not seem to bother. When you find out write this down and then list the AM and before or after a meal and same for any PM meds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I take 1500 Metformin ER, all at once. I've tried morning, afternoon, evening, etc., except 3 in the morning.

When I first started taking it, I took it in the morning and it worked out really well, then had to switch to evening. I am now on Insulin at night and back to taking the Metformin ER in the morning. Have to give it time to adjust, but so far, the past two days, my lunch and dinner readings have been good.

Trial and error with my experience. Good Luck finding the right time, you will :)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Statins and ACE inhibitors work best when taken at night.

Metformin works best when divided into two doses.

Ask your pharmacist.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts