The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use Wright's bacon with no issue, but a friend brought me a couple of pounds of Sugar Cured Wright's Bacon and I fried it up with no concern and today I ate some of it and it spiked me. Who would have thought it would do that...but it did.

Just thought I would mention this. Be aware of how it's cured.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah I check all the packets of bacon before I buy it - here in New Zealand most bacon is sugar cured - its frustrating!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I usually do OK with most Bacons. I like the Coleman brand at Costco since it has no nitrate or additives , hormones, etc. I never checked to see if there was sugar. Bacon is usually my go to food for low bgs.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Does it have sugar listed on the ingredients? Sometimes it seems there can be random spikes. I haven't bought bacon for years, but I hadn't thought of that possibility.

A supermarket near me was clearing out its stuff at a discount, and I bought about 6 cans of mustard greens. I like greens and thought they would be handy when I don't have time to cook fresh vegies. I looked at the label and was shocked that it had sugar in it, and a carb count that I never would have expected.

City folk will add sugar to anything it seems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts