The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had breaded calves liver last night, smothered with grilled onions & bacon. But we couldn't eat it all, so tonight we had some glorious liver sandwiches with the leftovers!

I love braunschweiger, but I'm pretty sure I've never eaten a slice of plain liver in a sandwich. On toasted thin buns with butter/mayo/mustard/pickles, these were terrific - of course they were breaded with Brandi's breading.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I love liver! Liverwurst and braunschweiger too (are they the same thing?) -- especially with mustard and a slice of raw onion.

Am running off to find Brandi's Breading recipe now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wow!! 2 more liver-lovers, and I love braunschweiger, too. Thanks for reminding me, I'll have to run out and get some. Liver & onions in gravy... yummy yum! I guess that means diabetics can also have fried chicken livers. Awesome! The Vidalia onions are out, gonna make an awesome braunschweiger sandwich.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As long as I use this low-carb breading, I can enjoy all my old favorite things like chicken-fried-steaks, fried chicken, liver & onions, breaded pork chops . . . everything. This breading is as good as any flour or bread crumb breading I ever used, and the drippings make fabulous gravy!

·
Registered
141 Posts
It's hard to believe that out of 93 views (as of this post) only 3... count 'em... 3... are liver lovers. If someone started a liver-haters thread, I wonder how many would respond to that. :fear:

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
It's hard to believe that out of 93 views (as of this post) only 3... count 'em... 3... are liver lovers. If someone started a liver-haters thread, I wonder how many would respond to that. :fear:
S'OK. We can split up their share! :D

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are dozens of search engines scouring the net 24/7, and that accounts for a high percentage of those views - they're spiders/webcrawlers/bots, not real people. But your point is well-taken - I have no doubt that more people dislike liver than not. And it's a regional thing too . . . I never found liver/onions on restaurant menus until I moved to the South, but by golly, you can order it in restaurants out here! :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Liver Lover here! However haven't eaten in years as was told organ meats are a no-no if you have high Cholesterol levels. Has that gone the way of "don't eat eggs"? Please tell me yes!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I like liverwurst and my sister's liver and onion with brown gravy is heavenly. But most liver I've had was totally inedible... I think it has to be cooked just right.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Liver Lover here! However haven't eaten in years as was told organ meats are a no-no if you have high Cholesterol levels. Has that gone the way of "don't eat eggs"? Please tell me yes!
In my opinion, yes. Do you have high levels of cholesterol? Are you low-carbing for your diabetes? Low-carbing does great things for cholesterol!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like liverwurst and my sister's liver and onion with brown gravy is heavenly. But most liver I've had was totally inedible... I think it has to be cooked just right.
That's for SURE - I think people cook it to death & then it's tougher than shoe leather. It doesn't need much cooking . . . since it's usually sliced pretty thin, just needs browned on one side & quickly on the other. This is the first time I've used Brandi's Breading on it, and it was terrific!

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Liver is great stuff! I especially like putting chicken livers on skewers, sprinkling them with garlic and salt and pepper, and then BBQing them. My father cooked a liver dumpling that was awesome (but of course wrapping the liver in carbs wouldn't be my choice nowadays!). I am still looking for a restaurant that serves a good liver and onions nearby, because my spouse doesn't like liver at all so cooking it at home is kind of a waste. :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Come down here to the Ozarks! :D We moved here 25 years ago, & that's one of the first things I noticed about eating out around here - they offer liver/onions in restaurants! One time several years ago when my FIL was still alive, we took them out to dinner at a pretty nice restaurant, and all four of us had liver/onions! ;) Some major regional differences in restaurant cuisine.

And y'know you can always wrap those little chicken livers with bacon! =)

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Come down here to the Ozarks! :D We moved here 25 years ago, & that's one of the first things I noticed about eating out around here - they offer liver/onions in restaurants! One time several years ago when my FIL was still alive, we took them out to dinner at a pretty nice restaurant, and all four of us had liver/onions! ;) Some major regional differences in restaurant cuisine.

And y'know you can always wrap those little chicken livers with bacon! =)
Wrapped in bacon??? OMG that's a great idea! :D

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I am a recent liver convert. Just had my first try when we cooked a whole duck and my brother and I decided to saute the liver and kidneys in butter. It was AMAZING! :D

I have a whole pastured liver in the freezer just waiting for me to get to. The almond flour breading sounds great.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I misread the title. I thought it was "Beware - if you hate YOUR liver, ignore this message!" And I thought it was going to be about watching your alcohol intake or something like that. I'm such a dork. :eek::p

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Gotta chime in with my vote for yummy liver. I'm the only one that eats it here though. My mother used to serve us liver for dinner (there was always leftovers since only She and I ate it) so she would cut it up into chunks and fry it mixed with mashed potatoes the next morning. Now the potatoes are out (and I'm not at all into the cauliflower substitute) so I do the bacon wrapped liver as well together with tons of fried onions and garlic.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Another liver & onions lover here, a favorite winter dish with rich gravy.... Mmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

1 - 20 of 22 Posts