The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"Hypoglycemia continues to be the most difficult problem facing most patients, families, and caregivers who deal with the management of type 1 diabetes on a daily basis. Frequent hypoglycemia episodes not only can "ruin," or adversely impact the quality of life for patients, but also, when severe, can cause seizures, coma, and even death."

This is the best article I have ever seen on hypoglycemia. I hope all diabetics who experience hypoglycemia will read this article from the Diabetes Health magazine.

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2010/05/13/6679/beware-the-perils-of-severe-hypoglycemia-/

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Thanks for posting that! I havent had hypoglycemia issues for many years...but lately I have had a couple of them. Mostly its when I overcorrect my dinner *sigh*. I was eating jam straight out of the jar a couple of nights ago to try and bring it up :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
i have hypoglecimic attacks often in the past week due to my poor system of management @ the moment.

its one of the worst feelings in the world, hot, cold, shakey, can't think right....i usually stuff grapes in my mouth at record speed.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
i have hypoglecimic attacks often in the past week due to my poor system of management @ the moment.

its one of the worst feelings in the world, hot, cold, shakey, can't think right....i usually stuff grapes in my mouth at record speed.
If you dont have any, I recommend getting some glucose tablets at your local pharmacy. Walmart sells them also. I was out of them the other night when I really needed them! Better believe I wont make that mistake again :)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have heard of a man who carries a zip-lock bag of grapes everywhere he goes. He uses them whenever he is low. They are high in carbs and work quite well. I carry jelly beans and glucose tablets too. If I drop below 60 I use the tabs. If I am 60-80, I eat a few jelly beans. They work fast and taste much better than glucose tabs.

·
Registered
148 Posts
This was a very informative article. I am not on insulin but have had some lows when I was taking a sulfonyurea on top of metformin.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hypoglycemia scares the crap out of me when I'm at work. There's a lot of physical activity involved and it's hard to keep my levels up. I usually end up hovering around 70-80 and that's even with me munching on jelly beans or glucose tablets as I go. I take a half dose of medication and eat before I start, but I still scare myself into checking about every hour or two over my eight hour shift.

One of the reasons it scares me though is because my job recently cut hours so I'm locked into a building at night by myself while I clean. If something happened and I got disoriented, no one would be there to notice until the next morning.

Of course, I could just slip and hit my head and be in the same situation lol. Hypoglycemia scares me more though >.>

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi candlelight. Since you are type 1 i assume you are talking about insulin ahen you referred to your medication before work. Is that Lantus you are taking then? You might need to reduce that dose to keep from going so low. If you have eaten a meal soon before working, you might raise your carb ratio so you will be using less insulin at that time of day. Either of these should help. I eat about 20 carbs without a bolus before exercising. That keeps me from having a low and I feel safe, with no hypos.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi candlelight. Since you are type 1 i assume you are talking about insulin ahen you referred to your medication before work. Is that Lantus you are taking then? You might need to reduce that dose to keep from going so low. If you have eaten a meal soon before working, you might raise your carb ratio so you will be using less insulin at that time of day. Either of these should help. I eat about 20 carbs without a bolus before exercising. That keeps me from having a low and I feel safe, with no hypos.
I take Lantus once a day and then the Humalog when I eat. I normally take 1 unit of Humalog per 15 carbs but halve that before I work. Generally I eat about 60 carbs and take 2 units if I'm working since I don't have the ability to do half doses yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts