The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My blood glucose has continued to drop to more healthy numbers :target: and I'm very happy about this but I've also been experiencing blood pressure drops. I average 95/65. Needless to say, I don't feel good. BP was always good, around 115/75 on average.

Could a significant drop in BG cause a BP drop? :confused:

Lost weight too. Went from size 14 to size 10 (since mid July). I never weigh myself. I check how my clothes fit or don't fit.

Feedback?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Not I, but recent theory is that hypertension is correlated to circulating INSULIN, rather than sodium ... so that might explain it?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...still having problems with low blood pressure. I find it difficult to work when BP averages 90/60. Doctor suggested I continue to monitor but in the meantime I don't feel good. At all.

·
Registered
322 Posts
i know that i have found that if i am having a BG spike that my BP will be higher at the same time too.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Adrenal function has the biggest impact on blood pressure. Mime was 80/40 right before I got diagnosed with Addisons. I know what you mean about it being being difficult. It is like walking in knee deep mud all day long. Then you sleep and think it will be better but it is not.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
...still having problems with low blood pressure. I find it difficult to work when BP averages 90/60. Doctor suggested I continue to monitor but in the meantime I don't feel good. At all.
So if your AVERAGE b/p is 90/60, what are some of your lower readings? Do you feel poorly when you're actally at 90/60, or just when it drops lower than that? What is your heart rate (pulse) when your b/p is low? Are you staying well hydrated? I only ask because 90/60 is a pretty safe level - usually acknowledged to be low-normal . . . normal being 120/80.

I do take atenolol for my hypertension, and my systolic levels are higher, but my diastolic levels are in the high 60s/low 70s all the time. I'm not the most active person in the world, but I never feel weak or tired at these levels.

It seems to me that your weight loss in one single month is alarming. There could be many things contributing to this, but if you aren't consciously trying to lose weight, or you don't have a great amount to lose, I think I'd begin worrying about what's going on here. Surely you get weighed at your doctor's office - what are those numbers telling you?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So if your AVERAGE b/p is 90/60, what are some of your lower readings?
My lowest was 73/53. That one was scary. Pulse was 55.

Do you feel poorly when you're actally at 90/60, or just when it drops lower than that?
I feel like sitting down all the time when I'm at 90/60. My job is quite physical and requires me to be on the go all the time. I can work 36 hours in 3 days. It happens often! BP used to be around 115/75 and back then I felt great with those numbers. Heart rate can vary between 65 and 75 but I'm seldom over 80. Heart rate was the same when BP was 115/75.

In the morning BP is around 100/65. I don't feel bad or weak but I don't feel my usual bubbly self either.

It seems to me that your weight loss in one single month is alarming. There could be many things contributing to this, but if you aren't consciously trying to lose weight, or you don't have a great amount to lose, I think I'd begin worrying about what's going on here. Surely you get weighed at your doctor's office - what are those numbers telling you?
My job and the fact I was not testing contributed largely to my falling off the wagon. At one point I think I was only surviving on bread alone. I've lost a lot of weight when I switched to low carbing back in July but I haven't lost anything in the last 6 days. My doc thinks it's great I've lost that weight. I don't want to lose more though. I've been exercising more too.

I'm working on drinking more water. I just hate drinking water. Maybe I was a camel in another life? :rolleyes:

I was under the impression 120/80 was normal BP and anything lower was too low.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I think the "normal" was adjusted downward from 140/90 awhile back - now it's 120/80, as far as I know . . . but as you say: but what DO we know?? :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
24,394 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
LOL - Shanny, you goof. That's the same chart I posted which showed the normal range in green up to 140, albeit "high normal"

It's okay. We'll both have a hot toddy and be better in the morning :)

Reactions: 1970clea

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Good lord - no wonder it looked familiar!

I got to rummaging around in that Vaugh site & kinda forgot what I was doing too. He's one of a kind, it looks to me like!

(you gonna deliver that hot toddy? Please. . . .?)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for posting all these charts! :)

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
1 Posts
When blood glucose levels come down to normal range from abnormally higher levels, weight starts increasing spontaneously. But if your weight is decreasing disproportionate to your physical exercise efforts along with control of diabetes, you need to get yourself urgently investigated for many diseases which can occur in a diabetic and cause wieght loss like Tuberculosis and Malignancy etc. The effect of this control on blood pressure is also favourable but it doesn't reduce to below normal. This problem also needs thorough evaluation by a Physician/Cardiologist.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a doctor's appointment. I will investigate. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Holy craziness!!!

My blood glucose has continued to drop to more healthy numbers :target: and I'm very happy about this but I've also been experiencing blood pressure drops. I average 95/65. Needless to say, I don't feel good. BP was always good, around 115/75 on average.

Could a significant drop in BG cause a BP drop? :confused:

Lost weight too. Went from size 14 to size 10 (since mid July). I never weigh myself. I check how my clothes fit or don't fit.

Feedback?
I saw your other post on menopause and commented before I saw this one. You kinda sound like me!! Once a month I get low BP and low BS I have lost a total of 60lbs since late March. Also get the hot flashes but super bad wooziness at times and even a little anxiety. My A1c was 12 in March now it is 5.8 and I got a letter from my Diabetic Dr. the other day saying I can start coming off my insulin all the way. All of the med drops and weight loss are great but I feel SO BAD!! Crazy question... Have you ever been on birthcontrol??

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I saw your other post on menopause and commented before I saw this one. You kinda sound like me!! Once a month I get low BP and low BS I have lost a total of 60lbs since late March. Also get the hot flashes but super bad wooziness at times and even a little anxiety. My A1c was 12 in March now it is 5.8 and I got a letter from my Diabetic Dr. the other day saying I can start coming off my insulin all the way. All of the med drops and weight loss are great but I feel SO BAD!! Crazy question... Have you ever been on birthcontrol??
Yes you do sound like me! :)

Was 8 years on birth control pill and last I took them was 20 years ago :eek: Why?

Wooziness? Me too. One time I went to hospital because I was really worried. I didn't have the symptoms of a stroke but I didn't want to take a chance. I received excellent care and they did all kinds of tests. Nothing was wrong!

You went from 12 to 5.8??!?!! CONGRATS!!! But you know what? I think the body has a 'tantrum' when we change too many things at once. Could it be the case now? My sister went through crazy stuff during menopause and she's not diabetic. I can only imagine what it does to a diabetic. I don't know! Sometimes I think I'm just strange, that's all :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes you do sound like me! :)

Was 8 years on birth control pill and last I took them was 20 years ago :eek: Why?

Wooziness? Me too. One time I went to hospital because I was really worried. I didn't have the symptoms of a stroke but I didn't want to take a chance. I received excellent care and they did all kinds of tests. Nothing was wrong!

You went from 12 to 5.8??!?!! CONGRATS!!! But you know what? I think the body has a 'tantrum' when we change too many things at once. Could it be the case now? My sister went through crazy stuff during menopause and she's not diabetic. I can only imagine what it does to a diabetic. I don't know! Sometimes I think I'm just strange, that's all :)
I asked about the birthcontrol because I was on the depo for 9 years. I only had one period in 2 years after going off the shot. Then in Feb. My cycles came back (reg every month) and I have been sick ever since. Like I said in the other post my Dr. is thinking it could be PMDD or premenopause. The episodes I get before my cycle are pretty bad and I too have gone to the hospital. They have done ALL kinds of testing and they really believe it has something to do with my cycle. It's not the pms bad it's the Holy cow I feel like I'm dying (anxiety) wooziness like I might pass out, low sugar, low blood pressure, weight loss, hot flashes and flushing. Just crazy!! I only feel good about one week out of the month :( But I try and stay positive and very hopeful that when I see my Dr. again on the 29th that he has some good advice. Crazy how your cycles can cause such havoc on your sugars!! If you don't mind me asking... How old are you? I don't know if any of my mess helps you in your search but I hope it does :) Good luck babe!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I only If you don't mind me asking... How old are you?
I'm 48. Had a hysterectomy in 2006, kept the ovaries. Now they are giving signs they might want to retire :pound:

Yes it helps a bit. I'm not alone! But I find it's awful you're going through this stuff. A really good book on menopause was suggested to me and I have yet to read it : 'What your doctor may not tell you about menopause' (John R. Lee). There's also one on premenopause, same author.

A good book on menopause can also be extremely helpful when you suddenly feel like whacking someone on the head for some unknown menopausal reason :rofl:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts