The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on Strict diet and Walking since 2 months..
Recent Lab results also showed good progress..

But one concern is ..
Yesterday i have checked my BG levels with Gluco meter in Home.
Post dinner results were like this..
After 2 hrs : 190 mg,
After 2hrs 10 mts : 177mg &
After 2hrs 25 mts : 141 mg.

In the morning after fasting of 10 hrs it was 101 mg.

Can you please help me to interpret the results.

The value 190 mg after 2 hrs in only concern thing for diabetics.:confused:
( 141 mg after few more minutes is it really matters or not ? , I mean is it normal thing that for everybody BG level comes down after few more minutes)

Till date i am not taking any medicene...

Regards,

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I have been on Strict diet and Walking since 2 months..
Recent Lab results also showed good progress..

But one concern is ..
Yesterday i have checked my BG levels with Gluco meter in Home.
Post dinner results were like this..
After 2 hrs : 190 mg,
After 2hrs 10 mts : 177mg &
After 2hrs 25 mts : 141 mg.

In the morning after fasting of 10 hrs it was 101 mg.

Can you please help me to interpret the results.

The value 190 mg after 2 hrs in only concern thing for diabetics.:confused:
( 141 mg after few more minutes is it really matters or not ? , I mean is it normal thing that for everybody BG level comes down after few more minutes)

Till date i am not taking any medicene...

Regards,
I t would be easier to tell you something more constructive if I knew what it was before you ate. You should be back down to where you were before you ate within about 2 hours. SO if you were normal before eating, then I would say that your carbohydrate intake was too high for that meal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks
To be Specific, I took indian rotis ( these are made up with Wheat) , Lady finger Curry and 1/4 glass of Bitter gourd juice.

Having BG level of 190 mg for 1/2 an hour in your blood, is it really going to damage to blood cells ? ( as i see Level is coming down to 140 later )

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hello RVP. You mentioned recent labs; did you have an HbA1C done? If so, what was the result? That would tell you what your average blood sugar has been for the last 60 days. Your spike to 190 is pretty high, and 140 might be too high also, if that is where your fasting level is.

Best of luck.

Jen

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes My recent Lab Results were F : 101 & PP : 110.
Hb1Ac : 5.6.. This was 15 days back.

My doubt is, If i go by Meter values, As my blood sugar values are decreasing, i could see my body is indeed absorbing Glucose,but at slow pace. The value 140 which should appear after 2 hrs , is appearing 2.5 hrs.

If my interpretation is Right. Then carrying high Glucose for half an hour or so.. is really harmful...

Sorry for troubling you with my silly doubts...

Thanks in Advane

·
Registered
710 Posts
First - your doubts are not silly! Managing diabetes is a difficult, full time job and we all have questions and concerns.

Your A1C is great - congratulations. Watch the highs, though. Getting to 190 once in a while certainly isn't unexpected, but if you find your numbers creeping up, you'll have to make some food and/or medicine modifications.

Best,
Jen

·
Registered
96 Posts
Pay attention to the A1c. That is the most important number. I don't know about your body, but for me those would not be bad numbers for spikes, especially since they came down.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'd be very unhappy if I were spiking to 190 on a regular basis, and if your A1c is 5.6, then you're having some hellacious lows that are offsetting those 190 and 177 readings.

I don't like it if my levels go over 140. If I have within my power to keep it lower, that's what I do, even if it means no rotis or other bread.

·
Registered
96 Posts
We may all want to reflect on this thread, Rethinking A1c Numbers."

I currently work with two physicians and a diabetic case manger (an NP) to manage my diabetes, with which I was a very poor self manager until recently. I can speak for anyone else, only about MY experience and observations of MY health.

First, all of them seem to be focused on my A1c. None seem to be overly concerned about high BG levels in any one particular day as I am not reporting any immediate negative effects. If I get too high (like around 375), my body will get warm and vision a bit blurry

But I am subject to hypoglycemia. If my blood sugar gets below 80 I get all the Sx of hypoglycemia. The lower below 80, the worse it gets. Taking glucose tablets will immediately drive my blood sugar up to 100, but my body is completely exhausted. I will then rest for hours. It's a scary feeling and has me considering getting a MedicAlert bracelet YESTERDAY!

Current recommendation is that I not try to keep my blood sugar too low. Better a little higher than too low. Over several incidents, it is demonstrated at what point my BG is too low and unhealthy.

All are trying to help me reach a target A1c of <7.0%. Personally, I focus on the BG level just prior to eating because that's when I will spike it. Based on the BG level prior to meals, I'll make adjustments to the meal I will eat.

I was also told that after some time living healthy, my body may adapt to lower numbers in the future.

·
Registered
710 Posts
That feeling of being too low can really be debilitating. But it's not surprising you're feeling it within what's otherwise a "normal" range if your blood sugar is consistently running in the 160 - 350 range.

I still vividly remember the horrible feeling of hitting 75 a few weeks after I was diagnosed T1. Shakey, sweaty, foggy-headed, hungry...ughh. It really felt awful! But no wonder - I'd just had a couple of months in the >400 range. Now, however, 70 - 90 is where I feel the most energetic and comfortable.

Take it slow and easy. Baby steps matter with diabetes - you're in it for the long haul.

Jen

·
Registered
96 Posts
While my present goal is A1c <7.0% and to keep my blood sugar a bit high at the present time, I was also informed that after repairing my body for a while my blood sugars may go down further. So nothing is written in stone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts