The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I had a 141 BG reading. I have never had anything over the 120s before, so it freaked me out. I decided to take another reading using blood from another finger and it was 122. Is it common to get randomly off readings? This is all new to me.

Second (and unrelated), are beans (butter/lima) friend or foe? I thought they were good due to protein and fiber content, but then I heard that they act more "carb-like" for those with diabetes.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
This morning I had a 141 BG reading. I have never had anything over the 120s before, so it freaked me out. I decided to take another reading using blood from another finger and it was 122. Is it common to get randomly off readings? This is all new to me.

Second (and unrelated), are beans (butter/lima) friend or foe? I thought they were good due to protein and fiber content, but then I heard that they act more "carb-like" for those with diabetes.

Thanks.
Your meter can be off as much as 20%. So, if you get a number that is not usual for you, then test again. And lima beans are a carby vegetable so when you eat them be sure and test after eating to see what kind of affect that it has on your blood glucose.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

Thanks.
I had the exact opposite problem on Wednesday evening. I tested @ hours PP and t was around 180. This was the highest I have been since I have been treating myself at home. I knew that what I had for dinner would not have caused this so I immediately retested again from the same finger. I was hoping for a result like you got, but the second test was somewhere around 195.
So it can obviously be off by quite a bit, if you look at your meter container it will tell you just how much, so I agree with breezeonby. If you have an off reading, simply retest and see if it is better.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I had the exact opposite problem on Wednesday evening. I tested @ hours PP and t was around 180. This was the highest I have been since I have been treating myself at home. I knew that what I had for dinner would not have caused this so I immediately retested again from the same finger. I was hoping for a result like you got, but the second test was somewhere around 195.
So it can obviously be off by quite a bit, if you look at your meter container it will tell you just how much, so I agree with breezeonby. If you have an off reading, simply retest and see if it is better.
This is one reason that I think it is good to have a back-up meter. These meters can go bad in a heartbeat or last forever.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I for one have never had a meter go bad, had batteries go dead but the meter has never failed. Remember that you are measuring a small sample and glucose will enter your blood stream at diferent times and different rates that is why no 2 samples will ever match.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Butter beans and lima beans are very much a YMMV (your mileage may vary) thing. It's best to test, eat, and test again to see how your body handles them.

Be sure to wash your hands before testing. Even then, there is only a 20% accuracy rating required (as mentioned above.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts