The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ate about 2.5 hrs ago a pb&j sandwich, a fruit cup (did not drink the juice) and then about 40 mins ago had 2 servings of cereal and one serving of milk.

My sugar is at 200. I've never seen it that high. But then again I've only been testing for a few weeks or so. Should I be worried? I heard that any reading of 200 or more determines that you are completely diabetic. So far my fasting glucose has not been 126 or higher, usually 104 to 119. I don't know what to think. This is highly unusual. I did make sure I had clean hands before I tested, and I tested twice, on on index finger and one on my middle finger. Both were similar. The one on my index finger was 198, a few seconds later I tested b/c of my disbelief and (on my middle finger) and it was 200. Should I call my doc and tell him i hit 200?

Brittany

·
Registered
298 Posts
That's a lot of carbs...I would be sky high from all that. Was it a whole sandwich with 2 pieces of bread? Was the jelly sugar free? Was the fruit in juice or syrup?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a lot of carbs...I would be sky high from all that. Was it a whole sandwich with 2 pieces of bread? Was the jelly sugar free? Was the fruit in juice or syrup?
Yes it was a whole sandwich (whole grain total carbs for the bread was 30). No the jelly was not sugar free. I've tried sugar free and it was nasty. The fruit was in light syrup. I don't know if the manufacturer counts the sugar in the syrup as part of the cup or not but it was 18 carbs. But that was about 2 hrs before i ate the cereal.. I am normally down to near normal ranges by then. So really it was just the cereal that was hitting me when it was 200. I assume... At least its usually that way.

Is it something I need to tell my doctor about at my next appointment in one week? It's a followup visit for him putting me on metformin. It's been 2 weeks since I started taking it.

This is all so new to me. I'm not sure what to think at this point. I've heard that any reading of 200 or more is automatic grounds for being diabetic. Right now my doc labeled me as "insulin resistant (pre-diabetes)" So I am a little confused.

·
Registered
298 Posts
What was your bs before you ate the sandwich and fruit? Yeah the bread only had 30 carbs but a tbsp of peanut butter has 6 and then a tbsp of the jelly has another 13-14 and then the fruit had 18...that's at least 67 carbs...without my insulin that would push me way over 400...and would probably have to double my humalog just to keep it at a half way decent number

You are lucky that you found this early but keep it up and you will be on insulin...I wish I had found out early enough that could have treated it with just met and diet and exercise. I would much rather eat low carb and sugar free than inject multiple times a day but now I don't have choice...

I hope you get it all figured out and keep us updated.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Chesney. I need to ((rememeber)) to call my doctors office and see if my doc can set me up with a dietician or nutritionist or something. After what I've heard on anothe diabetes forum that may not be all that productive of a route to go down. But I shall try anyway. I feel lost. My doctor never said anything about carbs or weight loss or anything.. So add in that confusion.. and I'm really lost. In a week I'll see him again for a follow up appt and ask him what I should do. Every other diet failed for me. Actually except one.. The Six Weeks Body Makeover. Had I kept on that diet (low carb - to no carb), low sodium diet I may very well have been thin by now. LOL I lost 8 pounds the first week I was on it, but then gave up becuase it was too hard for me to handle since I really don't know how to cook and prepare my own food yet. Maybe I should get back on that diet. Hey, it can't hurt now can it? Well ok it could but you know what I mean. Since it's low/no carb I should do well on it. I'll think about it for a few days and see if I can muster up the will power and patience to prepare my own meals 6 freaking times a day. Ugh. Anyway. I'll work on losing weight. I'm at my highest weight ever. So I've got to do something productive. Ok sorry for the ramblings. I just felt like getting that off of my chest. :p Thanks for listening..

·
Registered
298 Posts
Believe me I understand about it being hard..thank goodness my husband cooks cause I don't know what I would do. I'm still trying out foods to see how they affect me. My doctor didn't really say anything about carbs either but after reading up on diabetes I figured it out ...

No one can want this but you. I was very heavy 3 years ago and one day decided I couldn't live that way any more. It was a rough road and up until the past 2-3 months I felt great.

It's not a problem...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi Brittany,

Readings over 200 are bad news! Given what you have posted previously, it comes as no surprise to me that all the carbs you ate there took you so high. Your readings are likely to have been even higher at one hour after finishing eating.

I agree with Chesney, inasmuch, you really did ought to cut back big style on your carb and sugar intake. That usually leads to a big improvement in blood glucose levels - and quickly too!

Metformin may help a you a little but it is your diet that needs to be modified and it is that which is the most important thing to do.

Understanding and acting on the messages that you have been given earlier in your posts at this stage could keep you clear of problems further down the line.

Good luck - John

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Yes I have made a decision to go low-carb. I'm going to try that diet (I need to find the 3-ring binder that came with the kit... It has all the info and diet guidelines in it. It's low fat, low carb and low sodium). I will try my best to follow it. I may add in some fats here and there after a while... With that diet plan I can't add any butter. I have to only use the spray Pam stuff. :( But I think it would set me on the right path. I just have to find that darn book! :p

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Thanks. Yes I have made a decision to go low-carb. I'm going to try that diet (I need to find the 3-ring binder that came with the kit... It has all the info and diet guidelines in it. It's low fat, low carb and low sodium). I will try my best to follow it. I may add in some fats here and there after a while... With that diet plan I can't add any butter. I have to only use the spray Pam stuff. :( But I think it would set me on the right path. I just have to find that darn book! :p
Low fat isnt really what is going to help you right now. As we have talked about before, you are simply going to *have* to control your carb intake. I know it sucks because you arent used to it....but it is just the way it is. A PB&J with regular jelly (even if it is on whole wheat) followed by fruit and then cereal and milk afterward is enough carbs to send me over the moon. It gets to the point where you have to make a decision...take care of your blood sugar now while it is still in early enough stages to be relatively easy to control....or keep letting it go and have that high blood sugar ticking away at your nervous system, your heart, your kidneys, your eyes....I dont mean to scare you (well maybe just a little bit) but thats just the way it is. Do I wish that I were not diabetic? You betcha. But this is my life and it has been my life for a very long time. It is my responsibility to take care of my diabetes. I chose what I eat. My hubby is a carb monster...he can consume enough carbs in one meal to last me 2 days! But, just because he is eating it...doesnt mean that I have to eat it also. I am responsible for making better choices for myself.

A better choice would have been to have one piece of bread with PB and jelly. If you cant stomach the sugar free kind ( I dont like it either) I suggest Smuckers reduced sugar brand. Very yummy and half the sugar. If you must eat fruit cups instead of a piece of fresh fruit...make sure it is in light juice, not syrup. If it is in syrup at least give it a rinse before you eat it. Cereal is one of the most carb laden foods around. On the rare occasions that I do eat cereal, I only have a half cup in a little light yogurt. An actual serving of cereal is only usually 3/4 cup....most people I see eat cereal usually have a whole bowl full.

I know its a lot to deal with, and I know its hard to get your mindset in the right place....we have all been there at one point or another. You can do this...really :) The trick is to find something that you can live with. Low carb, low fat and low sodium might be hard for you handle all at once and therefore too hard to stick to. Remember, this isnt a "diet" you need to go on...it is a life change that needs to be made.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Brittany? Does your doctor have diabetes himself? If not, then you're well advised to listen to all of the real diabetics who KNOW that carbs are killing us. Just because your doctor hasn't mentioned it, doesn't mean carbs aren't still hurting you badly.

I think the Six Week Body Makeover is meant to be a temporary remedy, hence the name "six week". As Pam has written, "it is a life change that needs to be made", not a diet to try out and then reject if the going gets tough. The "going" IS going to get tough, if you don't curb your carb consumption. You can use butter and mayonnaise and sour cream while eating low carb. In fact, these fats HELP you maintain the low-carb regimen because you feel satiated - they keep you from feeling hungry all the time. The six week diet is way too extreme.

Please go back through all the conversations we've had and review the excellent advice you've been given by everyone on this board. Please browse all the low-carb goodies we use to reduce our own carb intake. I think you said once the you like deviled eggs . . . then eat deviled eggs instead of PB&J. Eat hot wings instead of cereal. We care about you - we don't want to see you spiral out of control because you won't face the reality that bread/cereal/fruit are damaging your health.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Low fat isnt really what is going to help you right now. As we have talked about before, you are simply going to *have* to control your carb intake. I know it sucks because you arent used to it....but it is just the way it is. A PB&J with regular jelly (even if it is on whole wheat) followed by fruit and then cereal and milk afterward is enough carbs to send me over the moon. It gets to the point where you have to make a decision...take care of your blood sugar now while it is still in early enough stages to be relatively easy to control....or keep letting it go and have that high blood sugar ticking away at your nervous system, your heart, your kidneys, your eyes....I dont mean to scare you (well maybe just a little bit) but thats just the way it is. Do I wish that I were not diabetic? You betcha. But this is my life and it has been my life for a very long time. It is my responsibility to take care of my diabetes. I chose what I eat. My hubby is a carb monster...he can consume enough carbs in one meal to last me 2 days! But, just because he is eating it...doesnt mean that I have to eat it also. I am responsible for making better choices for myself.

A better choice would have been to have one piece of bread with PB and jelly. If you cant stomach the sugar free kind ( I dont like it either) I suggest Smuckers reduced sugar brand. Very yummy and half the sugar. If you must eat fruit cups instead of a piece of fresh fruit...make sure it is in light juice, not syrup. If it is in syrup at least give it a rinse before you eat it. Cereal is one of the most carb laden foods around. On the rare occasions that I do eat cereal, I only have a half cup in a little light yogurt. An actual serving of cereal is only usually 3/4 cup....most people I see eat cereal usually have a whole bowl full.

I know its a lot to deal with, and I know its hard to get your mindset in the right place....we have all been there at one point or another. You can do this...really :) The trick is to find something that you can live with. Low carb, low fat and low sodium might be hard for you handle all at once and therefore too hard to stick to. Remember, this isnt a "diet" you need to go on...it is a life change that needs to be made.
Yes, I understand. Actually the six week body makeover is a lifestyle change. Not just a fad diet. But I get where you are coming from. Yeah I think it's extreme but I need to take back control.. I just feel so powerless. I've got to start somewhere and lose a massive amount of weight. I need to lose at least 200 pounds. I'm at 345 pounds right now, the highest I've ever been. I'm sick of it. I'll check out the smuckers reduced sugar jelly. Thank you for that tip.

Brittany? Does your doctor have diabetes himself? If not, then you're well advised to listen to all of the real diabetics who KNOW that carbs are killing us. Just because your doctor hasn't mentioned it, doesn't mean carbs aren't still hurting you badly.

I think the Six Week Body Makeover is meant to be a temporary remedy, hence the name "six week". As Pam has written, "it is a life change that needs to be made", not a diet to try out and then reject if the going gets tough. The "going" IS going to get tough, if you don't curb your carb consumption. You can use butter and mayonnaise and sour cream while eating low carb. In fact, these fats HELP you maintain the low-carb regimen because you feel satiated - they keep you from feeling hungry all the time. The six week diet is way too extreme.

Please go back through all the conversations we've had and review the excellent advice you've been given by everyone on this board. Please browse all the low-carb goodies we use to reduce our own carb intake. I think you said once the you like deviled eggs . . . then eat deviled eggs instead of PB&J. Eat hot wings instead of cereal. We care about you - we don't want to see you spiral out of control because you won't face the reality that bread/cereal/fruit are damaging your health.
Thank you Shanny for your words of wisdom. I know it's time for a change and I'm ready to make it. I need to go to the store myself (which I find hard to due since I can't walk the store like I could when I weighed much less)... I'll go with my dad and look at the carbs in everything and try to find lower carb options. I'll ride in the motorized cart. I just hate being stared at. Look there goes a fat lady on a cart! Beep beep! Ugh. Anyway.. I haven't seen dreamfields pasta in our store so I may have to request it. I do have to keep watch of my cheese and fats intake as I tend to gain weight when I use too much. I need to find snack foods that are low carb or no carb as I am always hungry 2 hrs after I eat... I could buy loads of beef jerky :p I could TRY pork rhinds. I've never eaten pork rhinds before. It just sounds so gross... Pig skin. Ick. But who knows, maybe they are really good. Any ideas for snacks? Again thanks you guys. I feel more grounded this morning. Not so confused and scared.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If cheese and fats have caused weight gain before, it's only because you were eating them with bread, potatoes or other carby foods. When you leave out the carbs, the fats don't cause weight gain.

I'm living proof, my fat self, because I have never limited fats since I got diabetes, and I've still lost 40 pounds. Metformin has helped because it curbs my appetite, but I think what you'll discover once you get a few days into a low-carb program, that you WON'T feel hungry again two hours later. The insidious thing about carbs is that they leave you wanting MORE carbs, and much sooner. Filling up on protein & fats removes the recurring hunger.

If you once try the cheese crisps, I think you'll be hooked. Then you won't have to buy pork rinds . . . :D Just buy a roll of parchment paper when you go to the store, and then buy some good cheddar or jack cheese from the deli . . . not the name-brand packaged stuff.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If cheese and fats have caused weight gain before, it's only because you were eating them with bread, potatoes or other carby foods. When you leave out the carbs, the fats don't cause weight gain.

I'm living proof, my fat self, because I have never limited fats since I got diabetes, and I've still lost 40 pounds. Metformin has helped because it curbs my appetite, but I think what you'll discover once you get a few days into a low-carb program, that you WON'T feel hungry again two hours later. The insidious thing about carbs is that they leave you wanting MORE carbs, and much sooner. Filling up on protein & fats removes the recurring hunger.

If you once try the cheese crisps, I think you'll be hooked. Then you won't have to buy pork rinds . . . :D Just buy a roll of parchment paper when you go to the store, and then buy some good cheddar or jack cheese from the deli . . . not the name-brand packaged stuff.
Ooh crispy cheese. I never ever thought of that. Thanks :)

I love cheese beyond anything else. haha I'll try this. I need to find an appetite suppressant. But I'd rather go with something prescription because I'm afraid to try herbs and suppliments that aren't regulated. My doc said I'd need to see a nutritionist for that. I should see a nutritionist anyway though I just have to call my doctor to get an appointment. He forgot to get me set up with one 3 months ago.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Metformin is an appetite suppressant . . . it is actually prescribed for non-diabetics as a weight-loss drug. Metformin (Glucophage) for weight loss
Oh I only had the appetite suppressant effect for 2 days. I'm back to full-blown being hungry all the time. I've been on it for about 2 weeks now. :(

Yeah my doc told me it had appetite suppressant effects but it doesn't seem to be affecting me that way anymore.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't noticed much difference in my blood sugars since starting on metformin. But I haven't done low-carb yet since starting it. I probably need a higher dose of it. I'm on the starting dose of 500mg twice a day.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Once you get your low-carb up & running, you're going to be REAL surprised to find your metformin working very well . . . :D

The link I posted earlier makes this statement:
[metformin] is a safe medication that prevents blood sugar levels from rising too high, but you defeat its effects by taking foods that cause rapid rises in blood sugar levels (that is, carbs). So taking Glucophage after eating two bagels will not help you to lose weight.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I wont tell you not to feel weird about people staring at you....I have been there and I know what it is like. At my highest weight I was 335 pounds on my short little 5'2 body. I completely understand. Just go with thought that you are gaining control and doing what you need to do. You can cure obsesity....they will still always be ignorant. It's their probelm, not yours. There are lots of snack ideas! I work full time and I am also a student. I tend to want to snack while I am studying. I know I dont *need* snacks...but if I am going to snack I try to make it something that works for me. Cheese really isnt a big issue for blood sugar...just dont eat it with crackers. I buy string cheese or colby/jack sticks to snack on. I also snack on almonds...they make some by Blue Diamond that are BBQ habanero almonds. OMG, they are my new addiction...I swear they remind me of BBQ potato chips. One of my fav snacks also is raw celery sticks with cream cheese spread into the groove...oh...yummy. I keep boiled eggs in fridge usually for a quick snack also. It really is amazing how many really good low carb choices there are available. There really is a whole world of yummy choices out there!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wont tell you not to feel weird about people staring at you....I have been there and I know what it is like. At my highest weight I was 335 pounds on my short little 5'2 body. I completely understand. Just go with thought that you are gaining control and doing what you need to do. You can cure obsesity....they will still always be ignorant. It's their probelm, not yours. There are lots of snack ideas! I work full time and I am also a student. I tend to want to snack while I am studying. I know I dont *need* snacks...but if I am going to snack I try to make it something that works for me. Cheese really isnt a big issue for blood sugar...just dont eat it with crackers. I buy string cheese or colby/jack sticks to snack on. I also snack on almonds...they make some by Blue Diamond that are BBQ habanero almonds. OMG, they are my new addiction...I swear they remind me of BBQ potato chips. One of my fav snacks also is raw celery sticks with cream cheese spread into the groove...oh...yummy. I keep boiled eggs in fridge usually for a quick snack also. It really is amazing how many really good low carb choices there are available. There really is a whole world of yummy choices out there!
I'm not a huge fan of celery unless its thoroughly cooked lol but I could try it with cream cheese. That sounds good. Dad just went to the store for me and got what was on the list. OMG food! Yay! He got 2 huge cartons of eggs. Wow. So I guess I could learn to boil eggs and have those as a snack. :) I never thought of string cheese. I love that stuff. Oh well maybe next time dad goes to the store. :)

I'm going to have a small chicken breast and green beans for lunch. That sounds good. :) I haven't eaten yet today. Oh I just rememmberd I need to take my Metformin!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts