The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this question is in the wrong place... I apologize.

This afternoon I took my 2 hr after lunch BG reading and it was 114. Something told me to take it again and when I did it was 104. Took it once more and it was 110.

I took all 3 readings within 1 minute.

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Hammer

G

·

This afternoon I took my 2 hr after lunch BG reading and it was 114. Something told me to take it again and when I did it was 104. Took it once more and it was 110.

Thanks,

Hammer
Perfectly normal.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The dirty little secret is that all meters can be + or - 20%. Unless you get a really off reading, I would advise not to test again, it will drive you nuts.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
The 'CE' standards require meters to be +/- 15 mg/dl for BG <75 mg/dl and +/- 20% for levels >75 mg/dl. So that means that at lower levels the error could be higher than 20%.

More accurate meters would be much more expensive, so we got to make do with technology that we have.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts

Thanks,

Hammer
I guess my question would be why are you testing so close together? 114 was not a bad reading. I can see if you thought it was odd and tested again, but the 104 was in range to the 114, so why a third time? Don't make yourself crazy with the testing. Also, those strips are expensive! You are doing everything right...so be proud and unless you get a really off-the-wall reading, don't get caught up in testing so close together. One hour postprandal and two hours postprandal are necessary in the beginning and when trying a new food since you need to know how that food affects you, but I actually was obsessed with testing in the beginning. Unnecessary! Keep up with what you are doing! Your numbers look really great!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts

Thanks,

Hammer
Hammer -

No way are you doing anything wrong. I do the same thing just because I'm curious at times.

I have to calibrate my continuous glucose monitor twice when I start a new sensor. This morning one reading was 78 and the other reading was 81 - both readings taken within 30 seconds and with the same blood glucose meter.

Most important are your readings before and after meals and when you arise in the morning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts