The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I take my bg reading before eating, then after 1 hr it goes up a little, but after 2 hrs it goes up again, then goes down afterwards. Why does it go up @ the 2 hr mark more compared to the 1 hr mark post meal?
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I confess I don't know all of the mechanics behind it, but it's normal -- that's why we recommend tests at 1 and 2 hours.

(Some foods, like pasta, spike much more slowly -- 5 or even 6 hours is not uncommon! Carbs taken with fat may be slower, too.)

I can say that the pancreas works through the digestive process in phases.

Reactions: Nanlou1964

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Fats slow my digestion waaaaay down. I hit my high between 1.5 and 2 hours and stay there another two or three hours.

Like to play with your food? Try eating the same meal (carbs + meat) with severely limited or no fat. For me the high is about the same as with fat. But if I eat 10 g/carb or less then first phase insulin clears it. Meaning by 1.5 hours I am back to my pre-meal BG level. Over 10 g/carb and second phase insulin is needed. I do that test ever so often, just to see how the basic machine is running.

Reactions: Nanlou1964

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am a newbie @ this :). But I can say that somedays I feel drained from info overload or just consumed by this friggin diabetes thing. Some days are better, some days I want to forget about the whole thing! It's a lot of work, but I know I am worth all my efforts, right? Some days my readings are really good, some days there off, but always in my safe zone. I just wanna eat Pizza, chips, but then remember how terrible I would feel after. So off to fight my diabetes demons once again ;)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It does get easier, Nanlou . . . and I applaud your resolve to tough it out! We are all SO worth it & we deserve long healthy lives with no diabetes complcations! The cravings subside the longer we stick to our safe carbfree way-of-eating.

We're all different is what it boils down to, and you will benefit from learning your own patterns as soon as possible.
This is the crux of our issues . . . nobody else can tell us exactly what's right for us. They can turn us around & point us in the right direction, but the bottom line is we each have to boil it down for ourselves. We have to crank up our meters, make our meal plans and puzzle out which foods we can tolerate and which ones we can't. It's the only way to gain and maintain control of our own destinies.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Insulin release by the pancreas happens in 2 stages.

The 1st stage response is immediate in response to food & the carbs therein. This is a rapid release from the insulin already produced & stored in the pancreas.

The 2nd stage response is slower & is in response to the still circulating glucose in the system. This is the insulin being produced at that time after the stored lot has been released.

These stages generally co-relate to the 1hr & 2 hr PP mark, hence the testing at these times reveals a lot. Your numbers indicate that your 2nd stage response is poor. It could mean that the insulin production in your body is lagging much behind the amount of carbohydrates in your diet.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Nanlou1964 ....

1) Those feelings are perfectly normal and happen to many of us. Cherish them, they are a constant reminder that you prefer having legs and eyesight over potato chips. And that little "why can't I..." interior voice does quiet down after awhile. In fact, it changes to "I know I feel better when I don't..." and becomes very supportive.

2) The overload of information is overwhelming. But as you learn and test and try different things, overload becomes knowledge...and knowledge really is power. For example, fangirl has tested multiple times and knows her BG takes three hours to go back down. This is her pattern. If that pattern changes she will recognize it and take appropriate steps (like find the mystery food/med/supplement that has caused the change, or go talk to her doctor about testing to see what is happening). In time, you will know your patterns. Things get a lot calmer then.

3) You are learning so much about yourself! The day is coming when you are talking to a friend or family member and find yourself wanting to shake them and shout, "Don't you understand the true meaning of what you just said about yourself??? Don't you understand that matters!?!?" So many of us pay lots of attention to ourselves without actually understanding what we are paying attention to. You are moving beyond that into much more complete and accurate self-knowledge.

Congratulations

·
Senior Moment
143 Posts
Thank you for all your support, it means a lot to me. I feel like I have a brand new family :) It's nice to know you have a wealth of knowledge available. I appreciate all your understanding, Cheers! - Nancy
Your post made me realize there are two things going on in this diabetes forum that have high value:
1- This is a network of very supportive people who can understand the emotional aspects of this disease. The conversations demonstrate a genuine interest in helping each other.
2- The knowledge amassed by those who eat to the meter every day is superior to recommendations from those who do not. Some of the most accurate information about the impact of prescriptions, foods and diets can be found here and in other peer to peer internet locations.

Back to the thread: When I was first diagnosed I also wondered about the post-meal BG curve. So I picked a day and measured my BG every hour. I discovered I was a fast digester and peaked at just under one hour after each meal. Since then I have focused primarily on before and 1 hour post-meal measures. As stated everyone is different so you should find out what works for you. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.