The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new and my education is on-going so please bare with my questions.

I got up this morning with a 144 (average is 135). Ate 4 waffles with sugar free syrup and got a 210. I also took my 1000mg Metformin. I learned something about waffles and carbs.

Anyway, I was on the computer most of the morning and then went to the supermarket at 11am. Leaving the supermarket; I had sweat, agitation, headache. I checked my BGL and it was 109. I assume that I was experiencing low BGL.

The question I have is that I felt tired and napped for 3 hours. Is that normal?

Jere

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Were those waffles normal waffels made from wheat flour or a low carb variety? The 109 is not a low, actually below 70 is a low. But your body is used to higher bgs so 109 feels like a low. Eventually as you normalise your bgs your body will get normal to normal bgs 70-120 without experiencing low symptoms. I think we all have been where you were today. You learn from it and eat a different breakfast tomorrow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Were those waffles normal waffels made from wheat flour or a low carb variety? The 109 is not a low, actually below 70 is a low. But your body is used to higher bgs so 109 feels like a low. Eventually as you normalise your bgs your body will get normal to normal bgs 70-120 without experiencing low symptoms. I think we all have been where you were today. You learn from it and eat a different breakfast tomorrow.
They were frozen. I am a month into treatment and have not attended any nutrition classes yet, so, I am self-learning and am very glad for this forum.

I just woke up and washed my hands and checked my BGL. It was 101. I am guessing that the hand-washing or that I am slowly reacting to the Mitformen.

I have been reading (here) about the variances in meters. I may get another tester and compare my current meter score with that one. It is a thought.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Jere

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Yes, meters (all meters) have a 10-20% margin of error. You will even find a variance with the same meter if you do a bg test 5 times in a row. With diabetes the basic fact is carbs cause bgs to rise at mels. Everyone has a different tolerace for carbs. Many of us use our meters and the after meal number to determine which foods are safe to eat. I don't like my bgs to go above 120, preferably less after meals. Most food that comes processed in a box like waffles will be higher carb because they are made with flour. Many of us have come up with our own waffle recipes not using flour. We use a combination of almond meal, coconut flour, flaxseed or whey powder as the base and that keeps our bgs close to 100. Diabetes is a learning curve, finding the recipes that work for you.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I don't think I have ever eaten waffles, but I would love to try them. I know they would give me a terrible post meal BG, unless I tried the flour jwags uses. I do occasionally have buckwheat pancakes that do not cause me much high BG. I eat that kind of thing at lunch. If I have anything made from flour at breakfast I will have high BG later. After lunch is much better! The afternoon is my most active time of the day and that helps keep my BG lower.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts