The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

So I have been faithfully checking my blood sugars 7 times a day (my poor fingers:() for the last 2 weeks. I've noticed a little trend that I'm not happy with and need help fixing (hopefully).

I am testing before each meal (breakfast, lunch and supper) and 2 hours post and again at bedtime.

I notice that I have a bit higher BGL after eating breakfast- THIS makes sense to me - but that it increases MORE before my lunch... and then drops 2 hours after lunch and drops some more before supper.

I am eating low carb... scrambled eggs have been breakfast - sometimes with cheese in it. Lunch has been salads with chicken or raw nuts and supper has been some variety of meat and steamed vegetables. I'm still learning the low carb way and havent gotten a lot of variety in my meals yet. (something for me to work on).

Is this a dietary thing, a body adjustment thing?? Is there any way I can "control" this better?

Also... when my levels go up after a meal, how much is a reasonable amount and how much is unreasonable?? (I'm Cdn :canada:, so values in mmols would be appreciated:))

So much learned already.... yet WAY so much more to know :confused:

I anticipate your responses!

(PS - I'm liking these smilies)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Protein is converted by the liver into glucose at about a 65% rate. Some Type 1's calculate an added dose of meal insulin for protein.

Are you on metformin? It slows gluconeogenesis.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
If you aren't happy with your numbers, you can always cut down on your portions.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Are you a type 1 or type 2 and what medications are you on. My bgs are always highest in the morning, too. I have remedied the situation by upping my metformin to 2550 and taking 2 of my 3 doses in the morning. I take one 850 when I wake up and then the other one around 10:30 to prevent that late morning spike. This has worked very well for me and allows me to keep most of my bgs between 80-110 (4.4 - 6.1) What is basically happening is your liver is dumping glucose because it perceives you are low. When this happens early in the morning they call this Dawn Phenomenom, but it can happen at other times of the day.

G

·
Hockey Gal - in addition to what others have mentioned... are you just eating 3 meals per day? It may be a case of breaking down those meals and turning them into 6 small meals every day. I function better when I eat small portions for main meals as such and eat snacks in between. How long is it between your breakfast and lunch? It could be too long for you and your liver could be dumping on you. I notice I can get liver dumps during the day if I miss a snack or something. Also consider there are other factors such as hydration, pain, etc. that impact on your BGLs. Do you drink plenty of water between b/fast and lunch? Just some things to think about. I find with diabetes that you have to be on your toes all the time as BGLs always giving us surprises. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am an unconfirmed Type 2. Still have to see the endo so he can do the proper tests to confirm it.

In the meantime, I'm on metformin (250mg 2x/day - take it morning and evening).

Thank you foxl - I have now learned that too much protein will turn to glucose... although I dont suspect that 2 large eggs scrambled is enough to do this.

onlymep - I eat breakfast at 9:00 and lunch at 1:00... that's probably too long a stretch. I feel like if I snacked though, I would be non-stop eating (or am I wrong?). I dont eat supper until 6:00 and my BGLs between lunch and supper dont seem to do the same thing.

jwags - I only take 2 doses a day. I'm only 2 weeks into the meds though and don't have a doctors appointment until June 27th. My BGLs are high end of normal right now (6.0-7.0mmol)... spiking over normal (8.3mmol has been my highest since cutting carbs). Is 2 weeks enough time to know if I should increase my dosage??

G

·
onlymep - I eat breakfast at 9:00 and lunch at 1:00... that's probably too long a stretch. I feel like if I snacked though, I would be non-stop eating (or am I wrong?). I dont eat supper until 6:00 and my BGLs between lunch and supper dont seem to do the same thing.QUOTE]

that's only 4 hours between b/fast and lunch... that's fine. But I suppose it depends on your serving size for b/fast... is that putting your BGLs up? Do you drink plenty of water in that timeframe? I personally eat every 3-4 hours most days. I don't go over 5 hours though as I find I either crash or my BGLs increase. We're all so different... it's a case of finding out what works for you. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts