The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh man, six months isn't long, is it? I remember my diagnosis as being the day I said I was going to get completely healthy because I didn't want to die young or go on medication and by October I was going be 50 pounds lighter! Well, it's mid-October now and . . . ppplllll!!! I got all addicted to being a good diabetic, eating super-healthy (20 carbs a day), working out, avoiding ANYTHING at all that was bad for me. My first A1C post-diagnosis was stupendous. Then my life just fell apart and now I can't stop the stress-eating.

My man-made carbs are not what they used to be. I did get them under some control since the last time I posted - down to maybe 40 a day and unfortunately all at one time - lunch - but I really feel like I'm going through a grieving process here: I seriously MISS MY FOOD. I WANT my sandwiches! I WANT my Reese Cups! I WANT my mashed potatoes! I WANT my English Muffins! I WANT my Swirl cones! I convinced myself I'd never want those things ever again but I was totally wrong. I really feel like a two-year-old right now, mad because her mom won't buy her a candy bar.

I know everyone can relate to this "grieving process" so I can just use some cheering up and some tips on how you handle it. I remember someone here saying 'if you're good 90% of the time, you can be bad 10% of the time'. I'm kinda takin' that to heart :p

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I convinced myself I'd never want those things ever again but I was totally wrong. I really feel like a two-year-old right now, mad because her mom won't buy her a candy bar.
I know everyone can relate to this "grieving process" so I can just use some cheering up and some tips on how you handle it. I remember someone here saying 'if you're good 90% of the time, you can be bad 10% of the time'. I'm kinda takin' that to heart :p
Hi Rosie,

I wasn't diagnosed very long before you - Jan/Feb time and I sure haven't had the same levels of stress you have had to deal with. But I do understand the grieving for the lost foods, believe me.

That said, in reality you can eat whatever the hell you like but you know, as I do and as most of us on this forum do, every choice now and forevermore has a potential consequence. Your way of eating remains your choice though... No-one can force you to follow a LCHF diet - there is no magic wand that will ever make these decisions go away. It sucks but we all have to deal with it. Or not.

Good luck :hug:

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Sorry to hear you've lost your way. Hopefully you can correct it.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Stress is right, Rosie . . . do you still have the homeless situation going on? That's the ultimate stress. Do the best you can. Since they don't let you buy a roast chicken & such, do they let you buy pork rinds? Anything low-carb to fill up your tummy!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Rosie, get through your grieving, and then pick yourself up and dust it all off. All those things you loved and want to eat can be satisfied by substitution of something else that is not bad for you as the things you were eating are. Yes, you cannot have all that carb and sugar due to your condition, however there are many things you can eat that are not all carby and sugary that will help satisfy that need, desire, or want. You just have to find the ones that work for you. GoodLuck!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think everyone can understand your grieving process. I still don't think it is fair that I can't eat a pizza or a grilled cheese. I was always a carbaholic and still am, I am just in a maintenance stage now. I find if I give in just a little the cravings intensify so much. The way I dealt with it was to come up with substitutes to make my favorite foods. I make my own english muffins and today I made my own bagels using donut pans. I also use LC wraps to make grilled sandwiches and even pizzas. This afternoon I am going to try one of MCS's recipes for chocolate chip/pecan cookies. If I didn't have these LC subs I would drive myself nuts. I have been D for almost 5 years and I think it took me almost 3 years to get consistently low numbers. Even with that, every once in awhile I will eat something that totally messes with my bgs for days. Don't be so hard on yourself, you're just human. Just do the best you can and try to take it one meal at a time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts