The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Vermont with a long winter, and biking is my way of working down my winter weight. Diagnosed with DM last summer. This is my first summer living with LCHF and I need to rethink my approach to biking and diet.

Most of my rides will be under an hour; my daily ride is about 45 minutes. But I want to do longer rides on weekend and that is where I am unclear about how to proceed. Do I eat carbs before riding the long ones? Bring something?

I am Type 2, managing with LCHF diet right now and no drugs. Carb intake is between 70-90 gr/day. Morning fasting tends to be <120 and post meal is usually around 140 one hour pp. (But when I tested with Jenny Ruhl's home-grown test--scarf 60-70 gr carbs and test--I got the highest reading I have ever seen: 206. I am definitely dealing with DM.)

I am looking for stories and wisdom about managing moderate to hard exercise on LCHF diet.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
I have no experience with this, but we did have a member a while back who did long-distance bicycling and I believe he ate cashews before riding. Gave him some carbs which were burned off during the ride. However, I don't think he ever carbed up like carb-eaters would do.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I have LOTS of experience with this... I ead about 50 gr of carbs a day and I bicycle. I work up to the American Diabetes New England Classic 150 miles in 2 days.

I am on insulin too. I found on longer rides over 30 miles I can turn off my pump and eat everything at rest stops and keep my BG in the good range (for me)

I bring a tube of decorative frosting and squirt a table spoon in my mouth about every 5 miles. more often if Im riding hard.

I found out what works for me by testing my BG and ajusting the carbs I take as I ride. That is where the frosting comes in handy. Its in a tube I can take some and not get it all over my fingers to my testing is still accurate. cant do that with an Orange or a power bar.

·
Super Moderator
9,721 Posts
I do low carb and generally only take water with me. I may ride 15 miles or 40 miles. A lot of times I ride in the early afternoon and have only eaten breakfast. I don't carb up before or after riding, but I have carried nuts (pecan, cashews, macadamia, etc., to munch on occasion. I do try to get plenty of protein after I ride, and about 15-20 grams of L-Glutamine for recovery.

I've ridden in one 100 mile ride and just had nuts to snack on, skipped all the oranges, apples, bananas, peanut butter crackers, etc. at the rest areas. I did have a cliff bar at the 75 mile mark and it had little affect on my BG and I didn't feel any added energy from it either.

My motto is do what ever works for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bring a tube of decorative frosting and squirt a table spoon in my mouth about every 5 miles. more often if Im riding hard.

I found out what works for me by testing my BG and ajusting the carbs I take as I ride. That is where the frosting comes in handy. Its in a tube I can take some and not get it all over my fingers to my testing is still accurate. cant do that with an Orange or a power bar.
This is so helpful. Thank you very much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts