The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi not been here for a while, does anyone take Bisoprolol and type 1 ? As on 2.5 mgs of Bisoprolol now and insulin seems to be slower now to work, then hypos later as I correct hypers, all seems on go slow, I'm on Novorapid and Levemir, then had bad hypo early hrs, lucky I got libre 2. In double figures most of day. Worse now in on Bisoprolol , maybe because it's a beta-blocker it slows metabolism down and effects insulin absorption? Just a thought, any answers gratefully received. I've never really got dose of Levemir right as I've posted before .

Administrator
Hello, net,

I wasn't familiar with Bisoprolol so I looked it up. It is, as you wrote, a beta blocker. So I looked that up. 馃檪 Here's what Wikipedia says about beta blockers and diabetes:
Beta blockers' inhibition on epinephrine's effect can somewhat exacerbate hypoglycemia by interfering with glycogenolysis and mask signs of hypoglycemia such as tachycardia, palpitations, diaphoresis, and tremors. Diligent blood glucose level monitoring is necessary for a patient with diabetes mellitus on beta blocker.
None of the literature I saw suggested that beta blockers affected insulin absorption (though I will admit I did not do an exhaustive review). However, beta blockers do appear to inhibit the signs of a hypoglycemic episode -- a diabetic may be further into a hypo before they perceive the usual signs. It may be that you're going low, not recognizing it as quickly (because of the effects of the blocker), and then your treatment of it is either insufficient for where the low is at that point or something else is happening to counteract the hypo, leaving you to juggle getting your blood glucose levels back to normal. It's kind of like steering a car out of a skid -- you can not correct enough or overcorrect; it's easy to do.

Every medication affects people differently. It would be best to report your experience to your medical team. They may choose to change your dosage schedule or even change the beta blocker you're taking (to another blocker or another medication that accomplishes what they set out to do with the blocker).

Reactions: net
1 - 3 of 3 Posts