The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed last week for a type 2 and start taking oral medications after. I think the drugs is making me nuts since my body is not used to it based on the answers i got from my other post.

Since bittergourd capsules is abundant here where i am at. Can i take that as a substitute? Or just take only that? Anyone tried herbal capsules?

I know i still need my doctors advice and i will consult her any hours from now.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Many of us use supplements, but we don't use them to replace our medications. Until you get your meter, get your blood sugar down, and become a little more acquainted with what is happening to your body, it might be best for you to continue a few more months on the course you've begun, and save such a decision for later when you know better what your meds are doing for you, and how your body reacts to the food you eat.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Type 2 diabetes is a disease of a dysfunctional pancreas. We all have different levels of pancreatic dysfunction. If you still have pretty good bg control and a strong insulin response you may be able to use some supplements. But the majority of diabetics don't produce enough insulin or our insulin is not recognised by our cells, so we do need Diabetes meds to keep our bgs in a normal range. The most important thing is to do lots of bg testing to make sure you are not spiking much above 120 during the day for good bg control. Many are able to control their bgs with a good low carb diet and lots of exercise . But remember diabetes is a progressive disease and sometimes even with your best efforts without medication it may get worse.

Reactions: dezmay

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Not sure it affected my BG, but I experimented with eating it (fried with onions, yummy!), and drinking tea. Believe it or not it comes in tea bags, from China, you may want to look for those.

I am T1.5, so hard telling ... give it a try!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the reply. All is positive and sounds good and give me more knowledge. Is there a part in this forum for the acronym stuffs? :D

Im kinda lost when everyone say "BG" and other stuffs. Sorry for that. :confused:

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
BG = blood glucose.

T1.5 = type 1.5 -- I have slow-onset autoimmune diabetes, of adulthood. T1.5 also includes other types which defy simple categorization.

It is not so many, ask when you get to them, and you will catch on ... then, you get to learn all the LIPID lingo, too!

·
Banned
158 Posts
But the majority of diabetics don't produce enough insulin or our insulin is not recognised by our cells...
Or.. third option is that BOTH conditions are true. Both insulin deficient and insulin resistant:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts