The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Back in the day I made a MEAN cuban black bean soup. And I would eat cups at a time. It is one thing I really, really miss.

Well, the Edensoy black soybeans are not the same. Plus despite showing up as low-carb ... I am not so sure they are as low as the claims.

BUT here is a good-enough salad I make from them occasionally. I strictly limit my portion to 1/2 cup, though!

1 can Edensoy black soybeans, drained.
1/2 can diced tomatoes with juice
4 scallions , sliced finely (I find they affect me less than white onion)
1 clove garlic, minced or mashed
1 tsp whole cumin
1 tsp chili powder (not the hothot, the kind for making US chili!) roast the spices together in a dry skillet, until fragrant
1 - 2 tsp chipotle tabasco (or more ;-) )
1 TBS olive oil
1 - 2 TBS red wine or other vinegar
Cilantro leaves to taste

As a side dish I find more heat and more vinegar is more satisfying ...

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I am wondering if my g'daughters would eat that...they are coming so I may wait till they are gone to try it, but it sure sounds good! I can't buy the beans locally, so I have one can from the health food store to test soon. So, that may be how they get tested!

Thanks,

·
Registered
90 Posts
Black beans are not too bad for the net carbs, are they?

Also, since I have some nice heirloom tomatoes, I'll replace the canned variety with the fresh, right out of the garden. I'm going to test it out tonight.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Before D, I would make kidney bean salad, and would like to try the black bean salad. I see you use Edensoy brand. I have about 10 cans of 'Eden organic black soy beans' and assume they are made by the same company, so I wonder what the difference is. I used a can for the first time in chili, but the beans seemed pretty hard, like they weren't cooked enough. Guess I could try nuking them a few minutes before attempting the bean salad. Are the Edensoy beans also hard?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I love beans, and are definitely try your salad!
I only use dried beans; it is much cheaper and there is no sauce with carbs. Mostly there will be 8-10 different types of beans and lenses in my kitchen.
My absolute favourite bean salad is made with blackeye bean, and this one actually lowers my BG when eating it together with some fatty fish or meat.
I eat about 1 cup of this salad. Its really simple. I just boil the beans after soaked them over the night. When they are ready I flush them quickly with cold water and mix 1 tbsp vinegar with 2 tbsp olive oil and add a little salt and pepper, and have this over the beans while they are still hot.
When the beans are cold I blend it with one cucumber cut in small pieces and a bunch of chopped parsley. It is also very good to add a little garlic if you like that.
This simple salad is really tasty as a side dish, or if you have some ham or shrimps or fish in it, you can eat it as a little meal by itself.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
optimist, please be sure and test 1 and 2 hours after eating beans processed that way. I find even with the ones I use, if I heat them at all, they will spike me!

I could not maintain consistency by using soaked and boiled beans. Not at all!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jason sandeman, regular black beans do not work for me -- hence my naming the edensoy black beans, by brand!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
optimist, please be sure and test 1 and 2 hours after eating beans processed that way. I find even with the ones I use, if I heat them at all, they will spike me!

I could not maintain consistency by using soaked and boiled beans. Not at all!
Each time I test new food I want to introduce in our menu, I test each hour for the nexy six hours to be sure how my body react.
I find that when I eat this salad together with some fat fish or meat it actually lower my BG, and it stays stabil for hours.
But even this is the case in my body, each and every one of us is different, and each should test the effect in their body.

I think the fact that heated beans spike you, is really interesting!.
My guess would be that the starch in the beans will be easy for your body to transform into glucose when it is hot.
It been proven that potatoes work that way. A boiled potato who is cooled down will not make our BG rise as much as a boiled hot potatoe.
When I eat my blackeyebeansalad it is cooled down, I never eat it hot. Maybe this is an explanation?

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I suspect heating makes the starch more accessible. Any leftovers (even cold), having been heated have the same effect as well.

As does any "resistant starch." Not sayin' don't try it yourself -- just, I am a super-starch splitter! I joke that "if Linda can eat it, ANYONE can eat it!"

Glad you are testing!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts