The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/05/150504163328.htm

Increased blood sugar levels in mice (ok, ok... but remember just how much DNA we share with other mammals ... like 90+%!) are associated with increased amyloid beta production (study on underlying mechanisms0.

One more reason to keep our BG under the best of all possible control.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Many thanks for sharing!

To me, the biggest problem with mouse studies is that Big Media and some parts of Big Pharma immediately extrapolate many (i.e., the most advantageous) of them to apply to humans as well. Makes for a good story, lucrative drugs and, hopefully, Big Profits down the line.

Fortunately, human studies have, and are (I optimistically presume), still being performed in this vital area.

Alzheimer's Association: Diabetes and cognitive decline
(White paper.)

National Institutes of Health: Alzheimer's Disease Is Type 3 Diabetes–Evidence Reviewed
(Very technical. Those who prefer to cut to the chase may want to scroll down to the Conclusions.)

Many more examples can be found. Lately, I've seen increasing numbers of popular sites refer to Alzheimer's as "Type 3."

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all we can do is try to keep our BG under control. can't do anything to stop Big Pharma doing what it does.

I'm adding added an off (not very far) topic on Big Pharma's push to pass the Trans Pacific Partnership 'deal' that's designed to make life easier for them, as we have an opportunity to at least let our federal electeds know what we think. Needs to be done this week, why I'm mentioning it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whoops -- meant to say I posted the TPP stuff in the Forum Lounge.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the references, Shalynne (the 15 minute edit restriction is too short).

·
Registered
15 Posts
My dr was telling me about this on Monday. (reason why I don't want to totally ignore her, even when she suggests oatmeal for my bkfst and talks about eventually me going vegan as the best way to be anti-diabetes). Must read more.

Reactions: GrandmaMisti

·
Registered
970 Posts
My dr was telling me about this on Monday. (reason why I don't want to totally ignore her, even when she suggests oatmeal for my bkfst and talks about eventually me going vegan as the best way to be anti-diabetes). Must read more.
Vegan is not a solution to diabetes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.