The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Freestyle Lite meter and a Acu-Chek Compact. The results vary greatly--the Compact is way, way higher. I really like the small sample of the Freestyle, but my insurance doesn't cover the strips.

I googled meters this morning and found that Comsumer reports rated the One Touch Ultra Mini highest of the ones they tested. Question: what do you all think is the most accurate meter, with a small sample? Does anyone like this Mini?

I uised an Aviva Plus for a while and hated it--it needed a large sample and if the sample wasn't quite big enough, one could not add more blood--it showed and error message--a wasted strip. Grrrrr.:mad:

ALSO--with the One Touch Ultras Mini, does anyone know if these are coded...and can you used outdated strips? I have frequently bought slightly outdated strips for my Freestyle on eBay to save money, checked them against newer strips, and the accuracy was right on.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share. Off to the doc's office this morning to discuss how my new Lantus prescr. is going (great!!) and then she also wants to discuss stopping glimepiride & Januvia and either going on Novolog or a choice between Byetta or Victoza.

The Victoza/Byetta option sounds a lot easier, after reading a book recommended in Blood Sugar 101...but not sure its the best choice. And either way, I know I will be testing a lot!

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Blood glucose monitors are a frequent source of discussion on the forum.

We have threads like http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes/62521-meters.html?highlight=glucose+meters and http://www.diabetesforum.com/introd...-meter-accuracy.html?highlight=glucose+meters and http://www.diabetesforum.com/introd...-meter-question.html?highlight=glucose+meters - just the first three I came across by a quick search.

The rules of the game are simple.

• Don't waste your time trying to cross-check different meters with one another. All are permitted a tolerance of 20%, so you could get 80 mg/dL from one and 120 mg/dL from another - and both would be "right". So pick the meter that works best for you factoring in things like the cost of strips, size of sample and general usability.
  • Strips get contaminated easily, so using out of date strips is often a bad idea although some meters will let you, others not.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I have a Freestyle Lite meter and a Acu-Chek Compact. The results vary greatly--the Compact is way, way higher. I really like the small sample of the Freestyle, but my insurance doesn't cover the strips.

I googled meters this morning and found that Comsumer reports rated the One Touch Ultra Mini highest of the ones they tested. Question: what do you all think is the most accurate meter, with a small sample? Does anyone like this Mini?

I uised an Aviva Plus for a while and hated it--it needed a large sample and if the sample wasn't quite big enough, one could not add more blood--it showed and error message--a wasted strip. Grrrrr.:mad:

ALSO--with the One Touch Ultras Mini, does anyone know if these are coded...and can you used outdated strips? I have frequently bought slightly outdated strips for my Freestyle on eBay to save money, checked them against newer strips, and the accuracy was right on.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share. Off to the doc's office this morning to discuss how my new Lantus prescr. is going (great!!) and then she also wants to discuss stopping glimepiride & Januvia and either going on Novolog or a choice between Byetta or Victoza.

The Victoza/Byetta option sounds a lot easier, after reading a book recommended in Blood Sugar 101...but not sure its the best choice. And either way, I know I will be testing a lot!
Personally I would choose the Novolog and get all other medication except for maybe metformin.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Personally I would choose the Novolog and get all other medication except for maybe metformin.
I agree, if you meant to type "get rid of all other .....".

Reactions: grammaB and Shanny

·
Registered
12 Posts
The One Touch Ultra Strips work fine for me in the Mini and Ultra 2 meter. I have used other meters and am not concerned about the accuracy.
My only problem with them is they are for the most part hinged together which creates getting just 1 out of the bottle a challenge for my giant fingers....At least till about half the bottle is used. My insurance allows me 550 strips every 3 months (11 bottles) so One touch Ultra it is!!

·
Banned
563 Posts
The Consumer Reports article ranked the machines by accuracy. They found that some machines were consistently within 6% of the laboratory result. Mine (True Result) was at the bottom, even Relion and an inexpensive Meter from Target scored better. But the top rated meters' strips cost over $2000 per year and I have no insurance coverage because I'm not diabetic (yet).

·
Registered
521 Posts
Personally I like the True To Go from Walgreens. $10 for the meter and I buy 100 strips for $20 at Amazon. I had 3 of these meters at one time. Replacing one that got wet (but my hubby put it in the dehydrator over night and it still worked, haha) bought a new one and a new back up one. I tested all 3 at the same time twice and they were all within 2 points. I have also tested them with the lab and they are usually exact. I have tried others that register higher and I don't like that. LOL. My A1C corresponds with my meter too.

·
Registered
521 Posts
All are permitted a tolerance of 20%, so you could get 80 mg/dL from one and 120 mg/dL from another
That's what bothers me!! For me that means either eat a few more veggies OR take an extra 1/2 unit. At night it means the difference between 2 and 3 units of Lantus. If it is really 80 and not 120 that could put me in a bad position.

So far so good though....

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Kristin,

That 20% issue really only matters when you try to match readings from two different meters. Then you do have the dilemma of which of the two is closest to correct. That's why my suggestion is to avoid playing that game.

If you stick to one meter, then the absolute value (within reason) isn't critical. What you are checking is how it compares to the trend you've been seeing from that same meter. So your carb count or insulin sensitivity stays the same and should still deliver the level of control you need.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thank you so much, everyone!! It was driving me crazy to see vast differences between the meters I've been trying out (bought on eBay, so it wasn't expensive to do some research.) I mean really--a difference of 110 and 168? So thanks to all for your advice!

I was so nervous, going to the doctor, wondering if Novolog was going to be really hard to manage. But...I told her that I wanted off of glimepiride and Januvia, and instead of Victoza or Byetta, I wanted Novolog. From all accounts here, the Novolog seemed the best way to go.

Got in to the DM educator yesterday, and came home with a wealth of info about corrections and sensitivity and admittedly, its confusing. But first dose today went fine, so I hope the learning curve levels out! :)

Again--thank you all! Last question--can I answer a number of posts in one to save space on a thread (like this reply) or is the best etiquette to answer each one individually?

All the best to everyone!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Kristin,

That 20% issue really only matters when you try to match readings from two different meters. Then you do have the dilemma of which of the two is closest to correct. That's why my suggestion is to avoid playing that game.

If you stick to one meter, then the absolute value (within reason) isn't critical. What you are checking is how it compares to the trend you've been seeing from that same meter. So your carb count or insulin sensitivity stays the same and should still deliver the level of control you need.
Thanks John!
Perhaps that's why all has been well so far! I do look for trends but when I bolus I do have to have a start number to base it on of course. I have seen high or low reads that didn't make sense and re took it only to find the number that makes more sense. As you know I eat very consistently and my insulin of course stays consistent as well. I know there are other variables from time to time but for me, for the most part I am remarkably consistent. VERY thankful for that.

Thanks for the info. Learned something new today!! I love those days

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Yes please, rnr, by all means answer us collectively. This is not like shaking hands where each person must be approached individually. ;)

·
Registered
970 Posts
Kristin,

This statement should be a sticky.

Reactions: rnr1 and Kristin251

·
Registered
830 Posts
It is very confusing when trying to learn to eat to the meter to have numbers all over the place + or- 20%. It is kind of hard to know what the trend is when there doesn't really seem to be a trend. I guess with more experience this will seem less like chasing shadows.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Most meters are fairly consistent with themselves - it's when you start taking samples from several meters and expect identical results. So pick the meter you like and stick with that one. Take it with you to the lab and test at the time the lab draws your blood - this will give you an idea of how close it is to your lab's range.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I am looking for a second meter because insurance will only cover so many strips and I have an Accu Check and those strips are very expensive! I am going to grab a True to Go and do my extra testing on that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've always been comfortable with my current meter but have always wondered what other options were out there. My insurance only covers so much but I know there are better solutions out there, if anyone has recommendations please share!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Debbie, since I am personally funded, after I discovered the cost of strips, I went to the Relion meter from Wal-Mart and the strips and meters are cheap and after all, I'm not looking for a solid number since none of them give us that, I'm watching for trends anyway.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts