The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm told ALL diabetics must take blood pressure meds in order to protect their kidneys.

What's your opinion on this matter?

My BP averages 115/72. Is it a necessity to take BP meds when BP is excellent? I'm confused about this!

Thanks for your feedback! :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Doc told me the same thing about my gout meds . . . I was balking at taking a daily med for something that flares up only once or twice a year, and he stopped me cold: "we're not just stopping the gout, we're protecting your kidneys."

I know hypertension is deadly to our kidneys - my own grandmother died of renal failure due to hypertension - but when your levels are already normal, how do they justify it? Same way they do statin usage? Given the long lists of side effects from some of these meds, I have a hard time accepting their wisdom/logic. I think it's a knee jerk reaction they were taught in med school or learned in medical journals.

·
Registered
78 Posts
my doctor told me that it's pretty much standard of care to prescribe at least a low dose BP med for diabetics to protect the kidneys, and that it could almost be considered malpractice not to.

In my case, since my blood pressure is already pretty low (the normal 120/80 is high for me), my doctor didn't have any problem with holding off on the BP meds.

·
Registered
360 Posts
My blood pressure is great too. The doc has checked my kidneys every 3 months and am doing fine. I asked him about taking bp meds to protect them and he seems to think it is not necessary at this time. Hope he is right.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
my doctor told me that it's pretty much standard of care to prescribe at least a low dose BP med for diabetics to protect the kidneys, and that it could almost be considered malpractice not to.
That sounds about right - same as the stance on running high vs. running low. Something that poses a threat of malpractice will always trump what's best for the patient.

·
Registered
429 Posts
It's probably more of a case of some Blood Pressure Medications have a protective effect on the Kidneys

Blood pressure meds called ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme) inhibitors such as Ramipril actual have a protective effect, whereas Diuretics can damage the Kidneys.

In my case, my Beta Blockers medication was halved and Ramipril introduced

Wiki article
Ramipril - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Indications for its use include:
Diabetic nephropathy with microalbuminuria

·
Registered
156 Posts
ACE inhibitors help regulate BP in your kidneys. There can be extra pressure on the membranes even if your arm reads normal. So I'm told by my pharmacist.
Rob's Website

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My BP was in the 130's when I was dx'd and my doctor just told me to buy a monitor and check it at home. As my bg has come down, so has my BP. He has never suggested BP meds to protect my kidneys. I have heards of some D's who BP goes way too low on meds.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My BP was in the 130's when I was dx'd and my doctor just told me to buy a monitor and check it at home. As my bg has come down, so has my BP. He has never suggested BP meds to protect my kidneys. I have heards of some D's who BP goes way too low on meds.
I wasn't prescribed an ACE until I showed protein in my urine. My BP was fine.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I was prescribed Diovan 80 mg which (I think!) is an ACE inhibitor. Please correct me if I'm wrong! :)

Average BP on Diovan was 80/62. I can't function that low. It got to a point where I was afraid to drive!

I was switched to Hydrochlorothiazide (water pill) with same BP results... and as a bonus got to know where all the washrooms are in all the places I visit and shop. Ditched it when I hit 72/54. I thought my heart would stop pumping.

Without meds I never go over 115/75. I'm a coffee drinker, at least 8 to 10 a day. Caffeine doesn't affect BG and I think, in my case, it does nothing to BP either.

Going back to the doctor next week as new blood work as been done. Just wanted to do my 'homework' on BP because knowledge is power :)

Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Scarlet, I was put on Lisinopril a few years ago for the same reason; protect the kidney's. I was only on a 2.5 mg dose, but it was causing pain in my kidney region, so doc took me off. I haven't been on one since and my bp has always been perfect to low (sometimes it is 80/50...but usually 110/70). It has never really altered, even during pregnancy with gestational diabetes. I refuse to take pills that are really unnecessary regardless of whether the studies show it can protect or not. I do not have any difficulties with urinating too much, protein in urine, or bp, so no thank you.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I was prescribed Diovan 80 mg which (I think!) is an ACE inhibitor. Please correct me if I'm wrong! :)

Average BP on Diovan was 80/62. I can't function that low. It got to a point where I was afraid to drive!

I was switched to Hydrochlorothiazide (water pill) with same BP results... and as a bonus got to know where all the washrooms are in all the places I visit and shop. Ditched it when I hit 72/54. I thought my heart would stop pumping.
Without meds I never go over 115/75. I'm a coffee drinker, at least 8 to 10 a day. Caffeine doesn't affect BG and I think, in my case, it does nothing to BP either.

Going back to the doctor next week as new blood work as been done. Just wanted to do my 'homework' on BP because knowledge is power :)

At those numbers, I would think that it could be dangerous for you to stand up too quickly.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
At those numbers, I would think that it could be dangerous for you to stand up too quickly.
I believe so! Very scary. My heart will stop but I'll have kidneys in very good condition :p

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I am on blood pressure medication (clonidine) because I have a wicked case of white coat syndrome. I could handle the dose okay when I was eating more carbs but when I went low carb I had such terrible side effects and scary low blood pressure that I ended up cutting my dose by a 2/3.

I had to lower it myself, since couldn't get a hold of the doctor thanks to the brigade of know it all nurses who had their own opinions about my symptoms and overall "fat assedness"... This was also the cause of my recent jumping ship on the old doc and finding a new one. :D

I would like to be off of the stupid stuff completely but am having a hard time convincing the doctor that while yes I freak out at his office, I am 115/75 at home. It's harder to make a stand when you aren't 100% sure that you're right... I just hate the side effects, I still get dizzy/feint when I stand up. :(

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just hate the side effects, I still get dizzy/feint when I stand up. :(
It's not a good feeling, isn't it? :(

My doc wants me to avoid bending, getting up quickly, lifting... which is basically what I do daily on the job. :rolleyes:

Most people I know have high BP when at the doctor's office :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Oh goodness no it feels dangerous. I've taken a stumble a few times but now I've learned to stand up and not move for 30 seconds.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who has a minimum of 180 at the doctor's office. :) Though it's gotten better recently since I've been taking magnesium, potassium and GABA.

·
Registered
156 Posts

And this is why our doctors should be monitoring our progress when we try our own treatments like low carb eating, instead of bashing us for trying.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I'm lucky I don't get bashed for going LC/HF eating by my docs. I would insist that the doctor either take you off BP meds or lower dosage if you are going that low. No sense taking meds that really aren't needed.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Last August, just after diagnosis my BP was on the high side - 150/70 - but only when measured at the doctor's office! A definite case of "white coat syndrome" since at home I was averaging 129/65 - still a bit high but not outrageously so.

Full marks to the doctor, he decided to accept that my figures didn't justify medication despite my DKA being triggered by a kidney infection.

We check it daily ourselves and I take my printout to the surgery each quarter to show him. He does do his own test at the surgery and I still show a bit high. Following Judy's diet, my current average is 113/61 but at the surgery, up it goes to about 125/70.
I'm 100% with @naynay on this - medication should only be taken when it is justified. It does seem to me that some doctors are just following a standard script when treating a "diabetic" rather than looking at their patient and treating him/her as an individual.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It does seem to me that some doctors are just following a standard script when treating a "diabetic" rather than looking at their patient and treating him/her as an individual.

So true! It's the same disease but since we're all different, you just can't apply the same treatment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts