The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally i can keep my numbers between 90-110, but today i had a lunch that was sushi, little bit of rice, mostly fish and veggies. About 40 min after was feeling SUPER sluggish and tested and I was a 184, i haven't tested that high since the very early days of my diagnosis.

I've also missed my second dose of Metformin the last 2 days...

should i be freaking out?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It isn't good to be missing meds, so try to keep up on that because metformin is supposed to maintain a maximum blood level, & needs regular doses. But I doubt it was missing meds that bounced you up to 184. I expect it was the rice. And if it was sushi rice, it was prob'ly seasoned with sweetened rice vinegar for a double whammy. Have you BEEN avoiding the "white" foods like pasta/potatoes/rice/bread?

What I wouldn't give for a D-free evening to sit down to a meal of good sushi!

I wouldn't freak out, but I'd have to drop rice from my menus. :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It isn't good to be missing meds, so try to keep up on that because metformin is supposed to maintain a maximum blood level, & needs regular doses. But I doubt it was missing meds that bounced you up to 184. I expect it was the rice. And if it was sushi rice, it was prob'ly seasoned with sweetened rice vinegar for a double whammy. Have you BEEN avoiding the "white" foods like pasta/potatoes/rice/bread?

What I wouldn't give for a D-free evening to sit down to a meal of good sushi!

I wouldn't freak out, but I'd have to drop rice from my menus. :(
Yes, was traveling and it really messed up my schedule, home now, but back on track.

Brown Rice seems to not give me any kind of spike, and I usually will only touch brown rice, but went out today, they were out and had a slip up. blargh.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, was traveling and it really messed up my schedule, home now, but back on track.

Brown Rice seems to not give me any kind of spike, and I usually will only touch brown rice, but went out today, they were out and had a slip up. blargh.
I'm now an hour and 35 min post meal, down to 147... getting there.

only 4 months into this life change... still getting used to it.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
FYI the rice served with sushi (sticky rice) is by FAR the highest-glycemic rice of all. That's probably what sent you over, as shanny mentioned.

It's almost as bad for you as consuming pure glucose. In fact, rice like that is actually converted to glucose WHILE STILL IN YOUR MOUTH by enzymes in your saliva. No joke.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FYI the rice served with sushi (sticky rice) is by FAR the highest-glycemic rice of all. That's probably what sent you over, as shanny mentioned.

It's almost as bad for you as consuming pure glucose. In fact, rice like that is actually converted to glucose WHILE STILL IN YOUR MOUTH by enzymes in your saliva. No joke.
Good to know! I usually see no spike at all with brown rice, literally, and I have had sushi since being diagnosed, but with brown rice... good to know about the sticky rice.

I try to keep very very low carb,

·
Registered
322 Posts
i wouldnt see this as something to freak out about, just a wake up call to say yep, i knew better and i wont to that again anytime soon.
I say anytime soon, because there are just some times that i have to say the heck with it. im going to have a pizza party or some cheese cake or somehting. i will monitor my BG afterwards but life is to short to not enjoy it some times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts