The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For non diabetics, I see they say 140 after 1 hour and 120 after 2. Does this hold true after a large meal with lots of dessert (July 4 picnic)? After 90 minutes, it was 141. After 2 hours, its 138. Feel a bit ill.

fasting has been at 92 (self test). Other tests with normal size meals gave me 110 after 1 hour and 93 after 2 hours.

Is the 138 after 2 hours abnormal or expected after such a sugar loaded large meal?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If your meal also had lots of fat and/or protein, those slow digestion down a bit, which could explain the similar reading at 2hrs vs. 90 minutes.

I try to be back close to normal after 2 hrs, which for me means closer to 6.0 (108) or less. I really don't like being higher than that after two hours.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, Bikeguy. I think the range of numbers you've quoted are actually for diabetics. People who are non-diabetic don't rise past 100 - 120, regardless of how many desserts they eat. Here's a good site with explanations in easy-to-read layman's language: BloodSugar101 Hope you can gain as much help from it as I have!

Thank you for joining us & come back often.

For non diabetics, I see they say 140 after 1 hour and 120 after 2. Does this hold true after a large meal with lots of dessert (July 4 picnic)? After 90 minutes, it was 141. After 2 hours, its 138. Feel a bit ill.

fasting has been at 92 (self test). Other tests with normal size meals gave me 110 after 1 hour and 93 after 2 hours.

Is the 138 after 2 hours abnormal or expected after such a sugar loaded large meal?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think the 120-140 bg numbers are to prevent complications in diabetics. I actually find as a diabetic if I go that high after meals my fasting bgs will increase. So I try to keep them closer to 110-115. Of course over the holiday weekend I did eat more and saw numbers as high as 128 which made my fasting higher for the past couple days. As Shanny said in non diabetics their pancreas works, so as soon as they start eating carbs their insulin kicks in to prevent any spikes. So usually within 15 minutes - 30 minutes they are back down to normal. It is when as diabetics we keep higher bgs for several hours that glycation begins to bond to blood molecules causing higher HbA1c's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts