The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Now that I have finally gotten my blood sugars to a half-way reasonable level, I am amazed at how much better I feel now than I did 2 months ago. I have tons more energy now and am becoming so much more motivated to get in really tight control. I joined the gym today that many of my co-workers have been using. I am really excited to get healthier and hope that regular exercise is going to allow me to keep even better control. I have to admit I am a bit nervous though. Recently (in the last week or so) I have been experiencing lows for the first time in years. I am concerned that I will be working out and go low before I can realize it. What does everyone else do? Do you exercise before or after eating? Is it a good idea to have a quick snack before a workout to prevent lows or is it a problem at all? Heheh I would hate to pass out on a treadmill and freak out the staff :)

What works for you?

Cheers
Pam

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hi Pam

Not to avoid the question but... IT Depends..

Need to know a hole lot more.
Are you on insulin?
are you on oral meds and what kind?

You need to ask you Doctor!

exercise lowers BGL (blood glucose levels) if your on insulin and or some meds, you can go low from exercising. Depends on your starting BGL, how long since you ate, how hard and long you work out.

I am on insulin, if my BGL is less than 120 and I am going to work out for more than 30 minutes I eat a 15 gram garb snack before I work out. then I check it after I finish the workout.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Pam, are you familiar with "Dawn Phenomenon"? That is what happens if you go to sleep at night and do not eat anything for 8 hours or more and your blood sugar is high in the morning. Your body need a certain amount of carbs to function properly. Going without carbs for 8 hours is too long, so your liver compensates by dumping carbs into your body. It seems to dump too many carbs, and the blood sugar rises too high. Eating something at bedtime that is high in protein can help very much in this situation.

This same effect can occur in the daytime. If you exercise without eating carbs beforehand then you may not have enough carbs for the activity involved. The liver dump can then occur while you are exercising and you will have high blood sugar afterwards. Eating before exercising will prevent this from happening. If you are going to exercise for a long time or your exercise is very strenuous, like running or weight lifting, then you should test during the exercise session. If you start going high, then you may not have eaten enough before starting and a liver dump is in progress. If you eat enough before exercising to prevent a liver dump, then you have to watch for lows instead. Testing during the exercise session is a good idea. I carry glucose tablets, or jelly beans with me wherever I go. I test before, during and after exercising. I don't like to start exercising unless my blood sugar is greater than 100.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Pam

Not to avoid the question but... IT Depends..

Need to know a hole lot more.
Are you on insulin?
are you on oral meds and what kind?

You need to ask you Doctor!

exercise lowers BGL (blood glucose levels) if your on insulin and or some meds, you can go low from exercising. Depends on your starting BGL, how long since you ate, how hard and long you work out.

I am on insulin, if my BGL is less than 120 and I am going to work out for more than 30 minutes I eat a 15 gram garb snack before I work out. then I check it after I finish the workout.
Yes...I take Lantus twice a day and Humalog before meals and with a sliding scale. Next month I will be going to the pump though and will only be using fast acting insulin. I was thinking a 15gm carb snack before working out would probably be a good idea. Guess I will have to test and see :) Thanks!

Cheers
Pam

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pam, are you familiar with "Dawn Phenomenon"? That is what happens if you go to sleep at night and do not eat anything for 8 hours or more and your blood sugar is high in the morning. Your body need a certain amount of carbs to function properly. Going without carbs for 8 hours is too long, so your liver compensates by dumping carbs into your body. It seems to dump too many carbs, and the blood sugar rises too high. Eating something at bedtime that is high in protein can help very much in this situation.

This same effect can occur in the daytime. If you exercise without eating carbs beforehand then you may not have enough carbs for the activity involved. The liver dump can then occur while you are exercising and you will have high blood sugar afterwards. Eating before exercising will prevent this from happening. If you are going to exercise for a long time or your exercise is very strenuous, like running or weight lifting, then you should test during the exercise session. If you start going high, then you may not have eaten enough before starting and a liver dump is in progress. If you eat enough before exercising to prevent a liver dump, then you have to watch for lows instead. Testing during the exercise session is a good idea. I carry glucose tablets, or jelly beans with me wherever I go. I test before, during and after exercising. I don't like to start exercising unless my blood sugar is greater than 100.
Thats a big help, thanks. I have been having issues with Dawn Phenomenon recently. A snack has really helped, even when I thought I wouldnt need it. I will be sure and test before during and after to see how my body reacts to it.

Thanks!
Pam

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Yes...I take Lantus twice a day and Humalog before meals and with a sliding scale. Next month I will be going to the pump though and will only be using fast acting insulin. I was thinking a 15gm carb snack before working out would probably be a good idea. Guess I will have to test and see :) Thanks!

Cheers
Pam
Not to change the subject, but I noticed that you use a sliding scale when using Humalog. How does that work for you? I was given a sliding scale last July and it did not help me at all. I threw the scale in the trash and went back to counting carbs. Can you use the sliding scale when you start using your pump?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Pumping requires an exact carb count for each meal and snack. You have to know your carb ratios and your insulin sensitivities. They are all programmed into the pump's memory , but can be changed at any time you wish. With all that information you will be given the number of units of insulin needed for every time you eat something. The only missing item is the insulin on board (IOB). My pump gives me the IOB but I have to decide what to do with it. If I am going to sit at my computer I do not subtract the IOB from my dosage. If I am going to be active I do subtract the IOB.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not to change the subject, but I noticed that you use a sliding scale when using Humalog. How does that work for you? I was given a sliding scale last July and it did not help me at all. I threw the scale in the trash and went back to counting carbs. Can you use the sliding scale when you start using your pump?
Actually it isnt working well at all right now. I think it worked better when I was high all the time. My carb counting was limited to just restricting myself to a certain number of carbs per meal. I had a prescribed dose of Humalog to take and depending on my BS at the time i either added or subtracted from that dose. I am finding lately that sometimes now it is over compensating for what I eat and I end up having to have a snack soon after I eat. They are going to give me a carb to insulin ratio next time I see the endo in prep for my pump. I called them this morning to see if I could get in today actually because I am not feeling right. At first I noticed dizziness and visual disturbances just when I started to get low...the last couple of days I am noticing it almost constantly so I think I need some adjustment. Obviously I think what is happening is that some of the terrible resistance I have been experiencing is improving and I am finally becoming more sensitive to my insulin. Hopefully they can tell me something today. Its really annoying to constantly feel like I am going to faint :p

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
(((Pam))) Not to be wishing one's life away, but I just can hardly wait until you get that pump going!
You and me too girl. I went in to the doc this morning. They cut my blood pressure meds in half and I am now on the minimal dose. She says she wants to keep a minimal dose if possible because I am a diabetic and it helps to protect my renal function. She also slashed my insulin dosages. I told her that I have been having lows and I find myself eating even when I am not hungry just to keep my BS up in a normal range. I gained two pounds :( Thats a good thing she says...means my resistance is improving since I am now in better control. Hopefully these changes will help :)

Cheers
Pam

1 - 10 of 10 Posts