Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody

I've been testing my BG first thing in the morning, 1 hr after meals and last thing at night. The pattern I see forming has helped me choose the foods best suited for me and it's working pretty well. However, I do see my BG rise from below 6 (108) in the evening up to 7 (126) after fasting. I know these numbers are pretty good and not to worry about but I don't understand why it goes up over this period whilst I sleep.
Can anyone explain it to me please?

Oh I should mention I eat about 3 hrs before going to bed.

Thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you find out, let me and my doctor know. I get 1 and 1.5 hour post-prandial readings lower than my morning fasting reading.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi,

That sort of effect is the first thing that most of us find that surprises us as soon as we start testing - it's called the Dawn Phenomenon.

Just keep on going - you are on the right track.

Best wishes - John

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi John,

Yet another useful piece of info from the Diabetics forum I would never have known without being here. Thanks

Would I get a more accurate and usefull reading if I waited 30 mins or so before testing? I currently test as soon as I wake up.

Hi,

That sort of effect is the first thing that most of us find that surprises us as soon as we start testing - it's called the Dawn Phenomenon.

Just keep on going - you are on the right track.

Best wishes - John

·
Registered
633 Posts
The best thing to do is to eat breakfast as soon as you get up but not before you test.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My fasting is often my highest reading of the day, and I've struggled with that too. But since stress can also raise bg levels, I've decided to take what reasonable measures I can to counter the dawn phenomenon, and then just roll with the punch. So I may have a glass of wine or sherry before bed, or a protein snack. Anything to distract my liver from dumping glucose into my bloodstream before morning.

And Adjitater describes what I do - test as soon as you get up before eating anything, but eat breakfast soon after.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've done a bit more research into the dawn phenomenon.

It seems to be related to hormones released whilst you sleep to help your body heal that also increase insulin resistance. The liver can also dump glucose into the blood around the same time, for similar reasons or just for the hell of it, I'm not too sure.

Is it just me or is my body having a laugh with me. I mean it couldn't just play nice for once and do something that makes sense.

I want to be in control damn it...... and breath...

I will try testing after I've been up a while but before I eat to see if there is a difference.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi again lawprop,

Personally, I wouldn't worry about your on-rising level because I'm not sure that there is very much that we can do about it. I try to eat a little bit of protein and take a apple-cider vinegar tablet before I go to bed. However, whether any of those ideas do any good then I just don't know. Also, I sometimes suspect that eating a restaurant meal late at night has some adverse affect on my morning level - even if my testing the night before showed that the meal itself didn't take me high.

It's not really a great idea that to wait until you've been up a while before eating because you may very well find that your level could continue to rise if you don't eat something pretty soon after you get up. Certainly, I've found that to be the case myself occasionally.

It is my opinion that you should just keep on slowly working at reducing your levels don't get too anxious about the occasional unexpectedly higher than usual numbers - especially the morning reading because that's largely outside of our control.

Keep working at it - you'll get there!

John

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Is it just me or is my body having a laugh with me. I mean it couldn't just play nice for once and do something that makes sense.

I want to be in control damn it...... and breath...

I will try testing after I've been up a while but before I eat to see if there is a difference.
Oh it definitely isn't just you . . . my liver yuks up a storm at me every morning! I'm gonna start smacking it a whack with our "no liver dumps" sign - just for good measure! :D

But I agree with John - waiting to test might not be a good idea . . . many of us just keep going higher until we eat something. Since I take some morning meds that must go down on an empty stomach, I test immediately upon arising - then take the meds. I prob'ly don't wait as long as the levoxyl people think I should, but I normally eat something - however small - about 30 minutes later.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, that makes sense.
I did a test when I awoke this morning, then another 45 mins later after walking the dog and it had gone up. So your advice is spot on.
Nice to have a reason to eat something as opposed to not eating something. (There's that silver lining.)

I can see lean bacon and scrabbled eggs, with a small amount of sourdough toast calling tomorrow.

Oh and Shanny can I get me one of those "No Liver Dump" Signs?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Thanks guys, that makes sense.
I did a test when I awoke this morning, then another 45 mins later after walking the dog and it had gone up. So your advice is spot on.
Nice to have a reason to eat something as opposed to not eating something. (There's that silver lining.)

I can see lean bacon and scrabbled eggs, with a small amount of sourdough toast calling tomorrow.

I am routinely threatening to smack my liver with a flyswatter if it doesnt behave! Too bad they dont understand that we dont need their help in the mornings! I have struggled with dawn phenomenon for *years*. The only thing that has finally helped it was going on my pump *shrug*

·
Registered
204 Posts
.....................I can see lean bacon and scrabbled eggs, with a small amount of sourdough toast calling tomorrow..............
"Lean bacon and scrabbled eggs" are just great! However, I'd consider doing without the sourdough toast because I'm sure that your readings would be even better. Maybe add a grilled sausage and/or tomatoes instead?

John

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You bet, Matt! Right here it is! :D :D :D

And as much as I hate to say it, I have to diss the sourdough too. I love it - I have my own starter that I've nurtured carefully for years, and for a long time I clung to the notion that it's lower on the glycemic index than other breads, but all to no avail. Sourdough spikes me like there's no tomorrow. I never thought I'd be able to enjoy bacon/sausage/ham & eggs without toast, but believe it or not, I can.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I also have my sourdough starter and I've been trying to find a way to eat it but no luck - all I have to do is smell the sourdough and I get a spike. :(

Can you make sourdough with almond flour?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm sure you can. I am currently using buckwheat, glycemic index of about 40, for my baking. I have calculated and successfully used 2 tablespoons of gluten per cup of flour to best duplicate the texture of wheat products. Then you have to figure out the different flour/liquid ratio; they don't all absorb the same amount of liquid. I'd recommend finding help using almond flour for baking in a forum for celiac, but you can add the gluten and leave out the xanthan or guar gum they have to use. Have you considered coconut flour? It's got a nice low glycemic index, too.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thanks for the info Cathyy - maybe I can do it. I'll check into your ideas.

Vicky

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I really wonder if any other agent is going to ferment and taste like we expect sourdough to taste. And it's going to be a horrendous leap of faith for me to start feeding my starter some "strange" flour. All it's ever known is distilled water & unbleached wheat flour! :eek:

·
Registered
299 Posts
We can always experiment with the "leftover" when we feed the starter... we wouldn't have to mess with the original. But I was thinking maybe just a half cup of normal starter and then get creative with the rest of the ingredients. Maybe that small amount of real flour in the starter will be ok. One can hope.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Shanny,

I didn't think you actually had one. :D:D

I did ditch the sourdough and it does come down quickly. I only hope it doesn't go too high in the early hours.

Only one thing for it....
Eat and test, and eat and test, and eat and test, and relax.

You bet, Matt! Right here it is! :D :D :D

And as much as I hate to say it, I have to diss the sourdough too. I love it - I have my own starter that I've nurtured carefully for years, and for a long time I clung to the notion that it's lower on the glycemic index than other breads, but all to no avail. Sourdough spikes me like there's no tomorrow. I never thought I'd be able to enjoy bacon/sausage/ham & eggs without toast, but believe it or not, I can.

·
Registered
204 Posts
.................Eat and test, and eat and test, and eat and test, and relax..........................
The way to go Lawprop - you are on the pathway to improvement!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.