The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a peanut butter sandwich with 1 piece of 100% whole wheat bread. Before eating it my bs was 145 an hour after eating the sandwich it was 157. It jumped 12 points. Is that high? I am a newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic on Metformin 1000mg twice daily.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also does anyone experience stuffy ears? I never had stuffy ears before I was diagnosed. I also have high blood pressure. I am taking Lisinipril 20mg for that.

O

·
0 Posts
hi Niki
Your fasting level before the meal is a bit high... it should be between 4-6 (72-108) on average. Your BGL an hour after eating considering your fasting BGL of 145 is not bad at all when looking at whether or not you spiked. Endo's will tell you that you can spike as high as 10 (180) after a meal... but ideally you shouldn't spike more than 7.7 (138). Considering you are on 2000mg of metformin daily, you should have a lower fasting BGL. You may need to review your diet perhaps? Also you may need to review your meds with your endo or doc. Whole wheat bread (I think we call that wholemeal here) is actually a high GI carbohydrate. This isn't a good option. But because you had peanut butter on it... the fat in that would have helped slow down the spike of the bread. When eating breads... look for the wholegrain stuff as that will be less likely to spike your BGLs and you get a more sustained release energy in your blood stream instead. Have a look at Glycemic Index if you haven't done so already as this gives you an idea which carbs are better for you. You can mix the type of carbs with your meals... but you should aim to always have a low GI carb to get the sustained energy. Watch your portions with carbs too of course. Maybe you could see a dietitian or nutritionist to help you review your diet if you need to do that. I hope this info helps :)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
That is a high pre-meal reading. I would have put off eating till it was lower.

I wonder if your post-meal test missed a spike -- someone with that high a pre-meal would likely've spiked higher -- esp. with bread AND PB. I know what that would have done to me .... more like 50 pts.

But, having told you that .... get those readings down -- like < 100 before meals -- then see what happens with what you eat.

O

·
0 Posts
also... it's probably a good idea to get your ears checked by your doc... hopefully it's not an infection. It could just be your blood pressure too maybe? But if an infection, it could explain why your fasting BGL is high too. When we're sick we tend to have higher BGLs, or erratic BGLs which can be hard to predict.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
If my morning fasting is above 100, I usually opt for pure protein and fat for breakfast. Many diabetics cannot handle whole wheat bread. A 12 point spike is not alot for that meal but as others have said you need to work on getting that premeal down closer to 100.

·
Registered
165 Posts
12pts is not a big spike. but you do shoot for below 140 2hrs post meal.

no idea about the stuffed ears +1 on seeing the doc if possible

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi everyone and thanks for the advice. I am really frustrated right now. I did what you all advised me to do. Well let me explain that my eating schedule probably differs from most of yours. I work all night from 11pm to 7 am. My breakfast is usually between 730 am and 8am, my lunch(which is my meal after fasting) is around 4pm and 6pm and I usually have something small, my dinner is usually around 1am and 3am. I also have snacks usually fruit in between. This has been my eating habits for the last week. Although I am overweight I am not a big eater. Before diabetes I only ate twice a day but I would sometimes have those binge eating days. But the reason I am frustrated is because this morning for breakfast I had a ham and cheese omelette and 2 small brown and serve sausages. I just woke up about an hour ago and my fasting bs was 157. That is very discouraging. It was lower yesterday and I had carbs for breakfast.

O

·
0 Posts
Hi everyone and thanks for the advice. I am really frustrated right now. I did what you all advised me to do. Well let me explain that my eating schedule probably differs from most of yours. I work all night from 11pm to 7 am. My breakfast is usually between 730 am and 8am, my lunch(which is my meal after fasting) is around 4pm and 6pm and I usually have something small, my dinner is usually around 1am and 3am. I also have snacks usually fruit in between. This has been my eating habits for the last week. Although I am overweight I am not a big eater. Before diabetes I only ate twice a day but I would sometimes have those binge eating days. But the reason I am frustrated is because this morning for breakfast I had a ham and cheese omelette and 2 small brown and serve sausages. I just woke up about an hour ago and my fasting bs was 157. That is very discouraging. It was lower yesterday and I had carbs for breakfast.
Hi Niki
You are having very long breaks between your meals. That could lead to "liver dumps" of glucose into your blood stream. Maybe this is why your fasting BGLs are so high as you are getting liver dumps? Eating fats and proteins, your liver is mostly doing the work to convert amino acids and fatty acids into glucose to release into your blood. Eating carbs it converts to energy quicker in your body than proteins and fats as it has a different chemical structure. If your liver is dumping anyhow.. it's probably dumping too much glucose into your blood stream for what you need. It's not a good idea to encourage liver dumping. Reading posts here you will probably notice we complain about it often. You may be better off incorporating small amounts of wholegrain carbs with each meal if you find fats/proteins aren't converting into energy well for you. Also be careful what fruit and how much you eat. Here they recommend no more than 2x tennis ball size pieces of fruit daily. I usually eat something 5-6 times daily. I find I have to eat every 4-5 hours because if I don't I get a hypo or my BGLs sky rocket because of liver dump. I hear your frustation as it's all such a science and to be honest you will carry on learning about what works and what doesn't work for you. What works for some, doesn't work for others. Even though we're offering advice to you... you need to trial everything for yourself to see what's best. Keep us posted. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
onlymep said:
Hi Niki
You are having very long breaks between your meals. That could lead to "liver dumps" of glucose into your blood stream. Maybe this is why your fasting BGLs are so high as you are getting liver dumps? Eating fats and proteins, your liver is mostly doing the work to convert amino acids and fatty acids into glucose to release into your blood. Eating carbs it converts to energy quicker in your body than proteins and fats as it has a different chemical structure. If your liver is dumping anyhow.. it's probably dumping too much glucose into your blood stream for what you need. It's not a good idea to encourage liver dumping. Reading posts here you will probably notice we complain about it often. You may be better off incorporating small amounts of wholegrain carbs with each meal if you find fats/proteins aren't converting into energy well for you. Also be careful what fruit and how much you eat. Here they recommend no more than 2x tennis ball size pieces of fruit daily. I usually eat something 5-6 times daily. I find I have to eat every 4-5 hours because if I don't I get a hypo or my BGLs sky rocket because of liver dump. I hear your frustation as it's all such a science and to be honest you will carry on learning about what works and what doesn't work for you. What works for some, doesn't work for others. Even though we're offering advice to you... you need to trial everything for yourself to see what's best. Keep us posted. :D
Thank u so much. I am not sure what liver dumping is. I was just diagnosed about 3 weeks ago so I'm not sure of all the terminology. I am going to try eating 5 small meals a day and see if that helps.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Mep gives a good description of liver dumping. It would be worth copying this if you have a printer. At some point liver dumping might affect you. Don't worry about all the teminology right now, eat to your meter!

O

·
0 Posts
Thank u so much. I am not sure what liver dumping is. I was just diagnosed about 3 weeks ago so I'm not sure of all the terminology. I am going to try eating 5 small meals a day and see if that helps.
You're welcome.... I know there's a lot to take in really. Here's some further info on the subject:
Probably the correct term of "liver dump" is actually 'Gluconeogenesis'. There's a good article on the link below to describe 'metabolism' in more scientific detail. In particular, there is a paragraph explaining what gluconeogeneis is (which is what we just refer to as the "liver dump" really). It's basically when your body thinks you're starving and goes into alert mode... the result being your liver dumping glucose into your blood stream to keep you alive. The problem when we have diabetes is that it's out of whack and we get these dumps more regularly... so we try to avoid this by fuelling our bodies correctly as best we can.
Metabolism - food, nutrition, body, diet, carbohydrate, health, protein, fat, nutrients, carbohydrates, vitamin, amino, acids, water, vitamins, Carbohydrate Metabolism

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi Niki, you can also eat lightely tossed or raw salads between meals. Just include a lot of tomatos, cabbage and cucumbers in it as these have very negligible calories. Low calory digestive biscuts(like oatmeal) are also gud. I found that if I toased my bread slice I did not spike too much...This may seem like trapeze sometimes, but you will learn within no time...bestwishes and let us know how you manage..:)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
In many Type 2 diabetics when we go too long between meals our pancreas gets a message that we are starving ( even if we are not). It produces glucagon that then signals the liver to convert stored glycogen into glucose, then adding it to our blood stream. Your body will not let you starve. This is why so many diets don't work, because your body just slows down your metabolism and your liver keeps dumping even in times of starvation. What many of us have found is by changing what we eat, helps prevent these spikes. I now have to add a significant amount of fat ( coconut oil, butter, peanut butter, cheese or other nuts) at each meal and snack to prevent the liver dumping. Also the drug metformin works specifically in the liver to limit the amount of glycogen that is converted. Talk to your doctor about adding metformin.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
In many Type 2 diabetics when we go too long between meals our pancreas gets a message that we are starving ( even if we are not).
Boy do we... If I go anything more than 4 hours I get a liver dump, and my glucose spikes just shy of 2.0 points on my scale (36 points on your scale). I currently eat 6 times a day, 3 regular sized meals, and three snacks. I personally limit my carbs now to around 45-60g a day maximum - you may have to start counting yours as well.

What many of us have found is by changing what we eat, helps prevent these spikes. I now have to add a significant amount of fat ( coconut oil, butter, peanut butter, cheese or other nuts) at each meal and snack to prevent the liver dumping.
This is great advice. Instead of fruit, try a snack with healthy fats,like those suggested above. Or combine fruit with the fat, like an apple with peanut butter or cheese. I have to limit my fruit to two servings a day, and I always eat it with a healthy fat to slow the digestion of sugars.

Also the drug metformin works specifically in the liver to limit the amount of glycogen that is converted. Talk to your doctor about adding metformin.
I thought I saw it mentioned you were already on Met. If that's the case, remember it DOES take a while to work... in some cases 6-8 weeks to have it's full effect.

Be patient, watch your carbs, get daily exercise and above all, keep at it! Good Luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone. I finally got my blood sugar down. I started feeling really weak and I just checked my blood sugar. It's at 99. Am I feeling weak because my body is not use to my blood sugar being at that level. Idk if I should be excited or freaked out. My stuffy ears are gone so I'm thinking maybe it was high because of the infection like OnlyMep said. Thank u all so much. It is nice to have ppl to talk to about these things.

·
Registered
710 Posts
99 is a great reading - don't freak out. Your body is just not used to operating at that lovely level. Enjoy it!

Jen

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks everyone. I finally got my blood sugar down. I started feeling really weak and I just checked my blood sugar. It's at 99. Am I feeling weak because my body is not use to my blood sugar being at that level. Idk if I should be excited or freaked out. My stuffy ears are gone so I'm thinking maybe it was high because of the infection like OnlyMep said. Thank u all so much. It is nice to have ppl to talk to about these things.

99 will give you a weak feeling to start... Do not be alarmed. The problem is your body was so use to high BG levels that it expects them. What I found worked for me was to eat a high fat or protien snack at those times to trick my body into thinking it was ok.

Now the other point you said was you work nights... I hate to tell you this but, working nights adds another stresser to your body because it naturally wants to sleep during this time. Try to keep this in mind. When I was Diagnosed I tracked my levels about every 2 hours. this allowed me to see what foods worked...which ones did not... and what times I needed to be concerned about. Also changing my meds made a huge difference

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DocWhitley said:
99 will give you a weak feeling to start... Do not be alarmed. The problem is your body was so use to high BG levels that it expects them. What I found worked for me was to eat a high fat or protien snack at those times to trick my body into thinking it was ok.

Now the other point you said was you work nights... I hate to tell you this but, working nights adds another stresser to your body because it naturally wants to sleep during this time. Try to keep this in mind. When I was Diagnosed I tracked my levels about every 2 hours. this allowed me to see what foods worked...which ones did not... and what times I needed to be concerned about. Also changing my meds made a huge difference
Thanks again Doc. You are so right. Working nights does add stress and for some reason my body needs more than 8 hours of sleep since I started working nights I am trying to get switched back to days so that it will be easier to manage everything.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts