The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my mother in law test my blood sugar level with her monitor it was done around 3pm I didn't eat anything that day,the results were very high (411) my question is could my not eating all day have had anything to do with that high of a reading

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Christy, welcome to our community. You did not say if you are diabetic or not. If you are and you did not eat for that long then your liver would sense the need for carbs and it would dump a generous supply of carbs into you system ahich would raise you blood sugar quite high. If you are NOT diabetic then your body should adjust to the lack of carbs and a high like 411 shoud not occur. I hope another member will comment on this in case I am not 100% correct here. I hope you will not go that long without eating again so you won't experience such a high number. Good luck!

Richard

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not diabetic as far as I know but in the last few weeks I've been having several symptoms like blurry vision,unquenchable thirst,frequent urination also my dad and sister are both diabetic. My sister has tested my levels before and the results were between 95-98 never any higher. I do plan on seeing a doctor as soon as possible but right now the insurance is not active it might be at least a few weeks before I can see a doctor I was just concerned that with a reading that high if I should wait for the insurance or just go to the hospital

·
Registered
279 Posts
With a reading that high, I would say you are a diabetic for the very reasons Richard mentioned. You MUST eat at regular intervals and have protein with your carbs. Such as for breakfast, an egg with 100% whole wheat toast. Or Fiber One cereal with a piece of fruit and some cheese. For snacks, apple and peanut butter, cheese and high fiber crackers. For lunch or dinner, a salad with beans on it, a chicken breast and some broccoli or cauliflower. I'm sure you get the idea. PLEASE pay attention to serving sizes, too. A heaping bowl of cereal or too many crackers won't do you any good, either. I think the general rule of thumb is about 40 carbs per meal and about 15-20 carbs per snack. I hope you get to a doctor soon.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hello Christy: :)

I also agree with Richard and Ruby. A non-Diabetic would not have a high number like 411 unless they were on a medication for another condition such as Prednisone, etc. Those types of meds. can put even a non-Diabetic into sky-high numbers. You may also have something else going on that could raise your sugar level.

That's Very unfortunate that you cannot see a Dr. without Insurance. If you are able to see a Dr. at the Hospital however, I would suggest that you do that ASAP.

Ruby has mentioned some Good foods to eat after you are diagnosed. I would not eat too much right now though since most of these foods do still have carbs in them which would raise your sugars more or maintain your present high. I doubt if you are hungry but do try to have something. Eggs, plain cheese, cottage cheese, sugar-free jello and yogurt, some unprocessed meats, etc. Drink water, tea, coffee, sugarless pop. Preferrably not much milk since it raises the blood sugar.

I also would not exercise at this point, if your sugar is that high since that could also raise it higher.

Test your sugars in the morning, before meals and 1 1/2-2 hours later. Write the results, times tested, food eaten and when.

They should do an A1c and and Oral Glucose Tolerance Test(OGTT).

Please seek medical help soon and let us know how you are doing.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I also agree with Richard and Ruby. A non-Diabetic would not have a high number like 411 unless they were on a medication for another condition such as Prednisone, etc. Those types of meds. can put even a non-Diabetic into sky-high numbers. You may also have something else going on that could raise your sugar level.

That's Very unfortunate that you cannot see a Dr. without Insurance. If you are able to see a Dr. at the Hospital however, I would suggest that you do that ASAP.

Ruby has mentioned some Good foods to eat after you are diagnosed. I would not eat too much right now though since most of these foods do still have carbs in them which would raise your sugars more or maintain your present high. I doubt if you are hungry but do try to have something. Eggs, plain cheese, cottage cheese, sugar-free jello and yogurt, some unprocessed meats, etc. Drink water, tea, coffee, sugarless pop. Preferrably not much milk since it raises the blood sugar.

I also would not exercise at this point, if your sugar is that high since that could also raise it higher.

Test your sugars in the morning, before meals and 1 1/2-2 hours later. Write the results, times tested, food eaten and when.

They should do an A1c and and Oral Glucose Tolerance Test(OGTT).

Please seek medical help soon and let us know how you are doing.

I also think you should eat at regular intervals skipping a meal that long could really do some hormonal imbalance in your system which i think could result to your high glucose level. Have you made appointments with your doctor yet?

Josa

·
Registered
2 Posts
If your blood glucose level is 200 mg/dl or more, and if you have other
symptoms of diabetes as discussed below, then you have diabetes.

The symptoms of diabetes include:

1. The frequency of urinating is very much more than usual and also
you are always very thirsty and hungry.

2. You tend to get tired very easily and that you lose weight without
much effort.

3. Your eyes get blurred because water is being drained out from the
eye tissues and lenses.

4. When you get infected, the recovery is very slow and difficult and this
is dependent on the stage of diabetes.

5. The movement of fluid from the body cells causes your skin to be dry
and itchy.

6. There is also a tingling sensation in the hands or feet.

If you observe any of the above symptoms, the best thing for you to do
is arrange an appointment with your physician. It is best that he screens
you AGAIN to rule out diabetes.

Thanks and regards

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had my mother in law test my blood sugar level with her monitor it was done around 3pm I didn't eat anything that day,the results were very high (411) my question is could my not eating all day have had anything to do with that high of a reading
HI Christy . I agree with what everyone has already told you and would like to add this

SEE A DOCTOR URGENTLY !!

Unfortunity when i was first told i was a diabetic , the doctor didnt explain to me how serious an illness this is . Even left untreated for a short period , diabeties can cause some major problems for some people . You may be one of those people .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First of all I want to thank you all for replying to my question so quickly.

My husband was on the phone with our insurance and it should be reinstated within a week or so no later. My dad is sending me a brand new spare monitor he had so I can at least monitor my levels till I do see the doctor. I have been really watching what I eat and I've been drinking lots of water.

I am taking this very seriously and if I do test that high again before I can get in to see my doctor I won't wait until our insurance is reinstated I will go to the ER. I will check back in and let you know how everything is going.

Thanks again for all your help

Christy

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Thank God! What a relief about your Insurance. Your Dad is a Sweetheart also. I'm Glad that you are looking after this. Thanks for letting us know what's happening with your situation. Sounds Good. YW!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went to the doctors I for sure am diabetic my doctor told me I was worst patient he has ever seen (my levels) 14.5 he tested my blood in his office this morning it was 501 also my blood pressure is really high it was 174/110.

I am now on Metformin twice a day also 20 units of Lantus once a day and 1 lisinopril once a day for my blood pressure.

he said if we can get the levels under control I might be able to just take the Metformin but until that happens I have to do the shots too and I need to stay away from sugars and carbs

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hey Christy: :)

Good to hear back from you. Firstly, I'm sorry that you have Diabetes secondly, I'm Glad that you know for sure.

You have a Special Dr.(Endo)there since he has covered all the bases.
Most Dr.'s don't put their Patients on Insulin at the beginning.

I take it that your A1c was/is 14.5. There are many who have had around the same number. Although it is not the norm. I think 17.2 was the highest A1c that I've heard of. Dangerous numbers, that for sure.

At least now you are aware and are able to incorporate the correct elements for your regimen, that will work for you to bring those numbers down. I Love it. :)

I'm on Lantus also. It was supposedly developed to cover a Diabetic for 24 hours. Unfortunately, most find that it does not. Instead, they split the dose and apply it 50/50, 40/60 or 60/40.

The 50/50 works Best for me now. I take 12 units after my Fasting Blood Sugar test(FBS) and about 12 hours later, I take the other 12 units. Yours will be different, of course. See how your Dr.'s advice works for you. If needed, then you can work with him to try a different doseage/time, etc. Trial and error.

I hope that you have an appointment with a Dietician and a Certified Diabetes Educator(CDE). These Ladies will know how much of what you should be eating/drinking and will answer any questions that you have concerning your particular case.

Everyone needs some carbs to survive. It's just the Bad carb foods or too many carbs that we don't want. Otherwise, we are here for you, if we can help. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
First of all I want to thank you all for replying to my question so quickly.
My husband was on the phone with our insurance and it should be reinstated within a week or so no later. My dad is sending me a brand new spare monitor he had so I can at least monitor my levels till I do see the doctor. I have been really watching what I eat and I've been drinking lots of water.
I am taking this very seriously and if I do test that high again before I can get in to see my doctor I won't wait until our insurance is reinstated I will go to the ER. I will check back in and let you know how everything is going.
Thanks again for all your help
Christy
Hi Christy.

I just want to add my voice of concern that you get medical attention right away. You don't need to test as high as 400. If your fasting blood sugar is over 110, get to a doctor. With your history and symptoms, don't wait. Do what you said you would do, go to the ER.

Once again: FASTING blood sugar greater than 110 is high enough to seek medical attention.

Let us know how you're doing.

Jaye Marno

** Know Your Goals and How To Achieve Them. Measure Your Progress Along the Way. **

·
Registered
279 Posts
Christy, I am so glad you have some answers and now on a course of action to take care of yourself. We are all here to help you. Let us know how you progress.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went back to the doctor, he upped my Lantus to 30 units 20 in the morning and 10 in the evening I still have to take the Metformin twice a day and he also put me on Novalog on a sliding scale. I'm starting to feel like a big pin cushion, I've been doing really good watching what I eat it hasn't been as hard as I though it was going to be and I have lost some weight which is a good thing:)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Christy, that is great! You are making good progress. I have used insulin for 63 years and I am healthy. I think insulin will be very good for you too. I hope you will eventually leave the sliding scale and use carb counting with carb ratios for still better control. Good luck!

Richard

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went back to the doctor, he upped my Lantus to 30 units 20 in the morning and 10 in the evening I still have to take the Metformin twice a day and he also put me on Novalog on a sliding scale. I'm starting to feel like a big pin cushion, I've been doing really good watching what I eat it hasn't been as hard as I though it was going to be and I have lost some weight which is a good thing:)
Hi Christy,

No, it isn't really hard once you develop a system and a routine. And once you get over the mental/emotional denials, self-pity, and lots of other barriers to bearing down and taking care of yourself. Glad to see you are past all that.

Now, about watching what you eat. I don't know what you are or are not doing, but I am a strong believer in cutting carbs way, way back. It has worked wonders for me over the past several years. I recommend you get a copy of Dr Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution" and read it thoroughly.

Looking forward to your recovery and getting your life back.

Jaye Marno

** Know Your Goals and How To Achieve Them. Measure Your Progress Along the Way. **

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hey Christy: :)

Good to see you. I'm Glad that you are on the split dose of Lantus since Lantus doesn't cover most Diabetics a full 24 hours, as needed. The Novalog is a Big help also in bringing down your glucose levels faster, from the foods that you eat. Make sure that you test often enough especially if you are not feeling good, to make sure that your sugars are not going too low.

Wonderful that you are eating more healthy foods and have lost weight. It makes it easier to control your numbers when you eat less and are at the proper weight for your height. That is a Good book that Jaye suggested to you. I do the small portion/low carb type diet normally which works Well for me.

Hmmm...the pin cushion effect! All of us Insulin dependant People know the feeling. Believe it or not most of us get used to it through the years, just a minor annoyance. We've all hoped for something better but not so far. Many use the Insulin pump which requires only one "injection" every 2 or 3 days if you prefer that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts