The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only received my machine for measuring these this morning.
First reading I took was 10.3 just before lunch. Hadn't misbehaved either, had wholemeal toast for breakfast followed by fruit mid morning.
Didn't know what to make of this.
Totally misbehaved for lunch having a meat pie followed by an iced coffee (flavoured milk drink).
Had some yoghurt for mid afternoon snack at about 3pm.
Took another reading prior to eating my tea this evening (about 5:30pm) this reading was good at 4.8
I guess what is puzzling me is not knowing what sort of readings to expect.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well ****, if it's any comfort to you, wholemeal toast & fruit would spike me just as bad as it did you. Grain products & fruits just aren't on my diet anymore - too carby.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When I was dx'd with diabetes the hardest thing for me to realise was that foods that were healthy for normal people were not healthy for me as a diabetic. As Shanny said many of us cannot eat whole grain toast, fruit or any kind of cereal in the morning. How many times a day are you testing? In the beginning it is important to test a ton. Test when you wake up and then 2 hours after each meal. Your fasting should be under 100 or 5.5 and after meals 120-140 or 6.6-7.7. When your bgs are higher than that you need to tweak the carbs in your meal to lower bgs. It doesn't happen all at once, but it will happen. Also for many of us the mornings are the hardest time for high bgs. So many of us resort to eating more fat and protein and very few carbs. I can only handle 2-3 carbs in the morning.

O

·
0 Posts
Now you've got your meter **** there will be lots of trial and error ahead. :D Try and not overload on your carbs when you eat them. Then again you could be very sensitive to carbs and they may not necessarily agree with you... or you may only be able to tolerate a certain type of carb. Eg. for me I tolerate grain carbs better than vegetable carbs.... you could be the other way round? Cut back your portions and try other foods that may help you get better results. You will find lots of fluctuations throughout each and every day... we all do. But also consider other factors such as the temperature, whether you've had enough water, are you in pain or sick, are you stressed or emotional, etc... you get the point. All of these things can impact your BGL's just as much as food and exercise can. If you find any foods that give you high readings.... cut back on them or eliminate them from your diet. You'll eventually get a good picture of what you can and can't tolerate.

·
Registered
118 Posts
May i ask why his fasting should be lower than 5.5? Mine is always higher, average 6.4, due to possible liver dumps and I have come to accept that, and my doc agrees with it.

I would do as mentioned above and eat by your meter. Test test and ya test some more to see what spikes and what stays. Some days what you will not spike but the other it just might. Only you can figure out what works. As for me almost all fruits and veggies are on the table for me (except pulpous fruits and potatoes).

Try to cut out most carbs like breads, rice and potatoes. But test to make sure. I have found a rice that does not spike me at all ( basmati)

So good luck and keep on trucking you will get there. This place is a wonder of resources so take advantage of it

Sent from my iPod touch using Diabetes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts