The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At my diabetes education class today, I asked a certified diabetes educator about sweeteners and she told me that diabetics can safely use Splenda and Equal. She said that they may cause a spike but that is normal. I am really confused now. She said that sugar alcohols will spike your blood sugar, it just takes longer and the spike is normal.:confused2:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well . . . apologies to your CDE, but my response to that is . . .

Horsefeathers! If it's gonna spike me anyhow, I may as well use sugar! :mad:

I'm using straight erythritol now . . . it's crunchy like sugar crystals & if there's any off taste, I'm not noticing it. Just that it isn't as sweet as sugar, but that's okay by me too. For anything I need it to dissolve in, I use liquid saccharine, so . . .

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I'm using straight erythritol now . . . it's crunchy like sugar crystals & if there's any off taste, I'm not noticing it. Just that it isn't as sweet as sugar, but that's okay by me too. For anything I need it to dissolve in, I use liquid saccharine, so . . .
You know I thought the same thing about the spike, sugar is much cheaper! Splenda is less calories, that is the only positive thing about it. I do feel that using Splenda is better than sugar.??? At least I don't feel quilty about using it. I am still using the erythritol and stevia and Sweetzfree blend. I will continue to use this as long as I can afford to use it.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I use Equal or Splenda and dont really notice a problem. But I have to admit...I love fresh strawberries with a sprinkling of real sugar on them. I dont use much so it doesnt really seem to spike me too badly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I be a Splenda girl myself - and do not get a spike from using it. I don't go crazy with the stuff, and even though it says to replace sugar cup for cup with Splenda, I find that way to sweet. More like 1/2 cup Splenda for 1 cup of white sugar.

It will depend what you are using Splenda in...if it's something with ingredients like white flour - you'll get the spike from the carb in the flour, not the Splenda.

B

·
0 Posts
But Is The Spike As High..?

Shanny said in part..

But is the spike as high? It would seem to me that the "Splenda" spike (if any), would be much, much lower. My bag shows 0 sugars, 0 carbs and 0 calories.. on top of the fact that the lower right hand corner shows the Red ADA Triangle and the words "is recommended and backed by the American Diabetes Association".

Breeze 2 User

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I doubt it's the sucralose itself that spikes me, but check your bag of Splenda. The granulated product has a higher percentage of maltodextrin than it does sucralose.

As for the ADA, I parted company with them a long time go. Their guidelines are far too lenient for my meter. Jenny Ruhl is a much wiser and more sensible diabetes advocate in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I be a Splenda girl myself - and do not get a spike from using it. I don't go crazy with the stuff, and even though it says to replace sugar cup for cup with Splenda, I find that way to sweet. More like 1/2 cup Splenda for 1 cup of white sugar.

It will depend what you are using Splenda in...if it's something with ingredients like white flour - you'll get the spike from the carb in the flour, not the Splenda.
The only thing I use Splenda for is to make kool-aid. I get tired of water and do not drink coffee or tea. My diet pop is caffeine free. I stay away from caffeine as much as possible. I have a sweet tooth, so I use Splenda cup for cup for sugar.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I hate to say it but I think that educator has their facts wrong. Splenda is a chlorinated sugar molecule. What it does is change the structure of the sugar just enough that your taste buds still think it's sugar and it seems sweet but your digestive system doesn't recognize it as sugar so it move through your system without being absorbed.

I've never had a spike from Splenda. There would be no value to an artificial sweetener if it still effected your blood sugar.

B

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the "Jenny Ruhl" link Shanny..

As for the ADA, I parted company with them a long time go. Their guidelines are far too lenient for my meter. Jenny Ruhl is a much wiser and more sensible diabetes advocate in my opinion.
Thanks for the link Shanny. :hug: I've got it bookmarked.. and once I get finished with this post to you I'm headed that way.

Breeze 2 User

1 - 10 of 10 Posts