The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Question.........I take Janumet 50/500 2x per day and my physician just added Metformin 500mg in the morning only. I took my blood sugar before lunch and it was 141 and ate a bowl of homemade chili then 2 hours later checked it and it was 140. So tell me how that can be? I am still new and trying to process this in my head.. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Between the time you ate lunch and 2 hours later when you tested your blood glucose, did you have more than usual exercise? I am type 1, so our situations are a bit different, but I know on the days when I work in the yard outside after I've taken both my insulin and my metformin - my bg tends to fall much faster.

Do you have glucose tablets at home? If not, it would be a good idea to stop at the local pharmacy and get some. In the meantime, you could eat a few small crackers or a small amount of fruit juice to raise your bg. Having a low number like 41 is not fun. Take good care of yourself.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
That's way too low, Sherry . . . your doc needs to reassess this & tweak your dosages. As Strawberry says, you'll have to keep glucose tabs handy & start treating if you drop under 70. Did you feel like you'd been hit by a truck during & after those low hours?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I meant to type 141 and 140......gessssssssh sorry about that.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Many times when I eat my bg actually goes down not up. Sometimes the process of eating will jumpstart some insulin production. In your case the carbs you ate in the chilli actually jumstarted some insulin production so you did not see any spike.

·
Registered
235 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
If your numbers are the same or close to the same before you ate and 2 hrs. mark after you ate that meal is a keeper.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The beans can make the whole meal better for your BG it slower down how much carbohydrates is released into your body,
I`m just the same; bean in the food is a perfect way for me to avoid any peaks in my BG.
I love it!
Not everyone experience the same, but for me it really works.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Question.........I take Janumet 50/500 2x per day and my physician just added Metformin 500mg in the morning only. I took my blood sugar before lunch and it was 141 and ate a bowl of homemade chili then 2 hours later checked it and it was 140. So tell me how that can be? I am still new and trying to process this in my head.. Thanks for listening.
Whew.........now that we know you are not in iminent danger......I don't suppose you could give us a idea of how the chili was made? Chili is one of my husband's favorite cool weather foods.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts