The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
6,163 Posts
Tracking my levels, I have noticed that they have slowly been creeping up over the last two weeks.. not alot about 10-15%.. I was so happy to be off the Metformin and the Glyburide seemed to be doing the trick. now Im not so sure..
Disclaimer (or should this be Claimer): I'm not a metformin sales rep. Honest.

I recall you had gastric issues w/ metformin and man can I relate. I tried the regular for a couple of months then switched to the XR. Still had issues but decided to try riding it out. I broke up the 2,000 mg to take AM/PM with food. Someone suggested actually taking it in the middle of the meal and I've tried to do that.

Now, 3 months later, it's manageable. I have semi-hard stools whereas before .... I'll spare everyone more details. I do have times of urgency still, but it's far from debilitating.

In the beginning, I was also given glipizide to bring down my numbers, and it did like a rock. But, both my endo and I wanted me off of it for the reason jwags mentioned: burning out of beta cells. After a month I was able to drop it.

I like metformin a lot - how it helps my blood sugar and the mechanism by which it does it. It's suspected metformin helps increase leptin sensitivity (great for weight loss) in addition to its other benefits. So, in your situation, I'd give some thought to trying metformin again, very small dose of XR, give it more time and build up =very= gradually if your numbers remain ticked up. Should you be able to tolerate it in time as I finally can, you might then be able to back off the glyburide.

Just a thought -

Reactions: jwags and 1970clea

· Premium Member
6,163 Posts
Clea - could your weight-loss stall be because you're about where your body wants to be vs where you do? Of course, I say this in the context of a person who would kill (well, maybe something tamer like make a sizable carb donation) to be 138 lbs again. My easy weight-loss thus far is because I had so much to lose, and I've slowed to stalled now myself, nowhere near where I need to end up for health, let alone vanity.

That's great that you and metformin also found peace - glad we didn't give up!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.