The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back my blood work results today, including the A1C & cholesterol numbers.

The 2 that I'm not sure what they are: ALT and CK.
From a bit of research online it looks like ALT is related to liver, and CK might be heart?

The doc I seen today didn't mention the results of these, so I'm thinking the numbers are likely ok?
ALT = 29 U/L
CK - 103 U/L

Anyone have a website to recommend that I can read up more on these?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi Karen. You prob'ly shouldn't quote me on this, but I think the CK is for creatinine - the liver enzyme? I shouldn't even say "enzyme" since I don't know for sure.

And ALT may be a liver thing too. but I don't know those terms. I am really no good at all the acronyms in use nowdays!

(edit) Well duh! Ran it through Google, and after I got past all the Calvin Klein junk, there it was creatinine kinase . . . and you're right - it's a heart test.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Just got back my blood work results today, including the A1C & cholesterol numbers.

The 2 that I'm not sure what they are: ALT and CK.
From a bit of research online it looks like ALT is related to liver, and CK might be heart?

The doc I seen today didn't mention the results of these, so I'm thinking the numbers are likely ok?
ALT = 29 U/L
CK - 103 U/L

Anyone have a website to recommend that I can read up more on these?
ALT is a liver function test. CK is an isoenzyme that when elevated usually is indicative of damage to muscle (such as in a heart attack). If you look at the lab result, there should be a suggested "normal range". It can vary between labs. I believe that ALT is a little elevated, but that can be from several factors and you said your doctor didnt seem concerned about it.

hope that helps

Pam

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you.
The lab results only showed what the levels were, not a suggested range, I've been going over the sheet with a fine toothed comb to see if I could read any more into it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts