The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I wanted to pull a few things from my blood work that stood out. My AST/SGOT was 44 and my ALT/SGPT was 47. My BUN was 6. I took the test fasting but I did not know I had to tell them that I take aspirin and ibuprofen sometimes. Do you think that could have affected my test. I might have to take the test again but all the office said was we will note it on your folder. I guess it does not matter about these findings because they did not tell me come on in and lets do it again now. Any thoughts. All welcome and thanks in advance.:vs_cool:

·
Super Moderator
10,022 Posts
Fasting is not required prior to testing of the 3 test you mention according to the "Handbook of Laboratory and Diagnostic Testing with Nursing Implications" (my daughter's book). Salicylates (NSAIDs) can cause elevated levels, but it doesn't say how much or how close to testing would affect the test results. I've never been asked if I've taken an NSAID when I've had blood drawn. Are your numbers elevated from your last test, if so I would think your doctor would be talking to you about it.

Reactions: Dudeness

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was always told when fasting for my blood test that I could only have coffee and water 8-10 hours prior. I even specifically asked about ibuprofen one time because I wake up with tension head aches and was told to not take them, what part of the test it could impact I didn't ask. So I've suffered though them until after the draw.

Just make sure your doctor knows, they all seem to have different opinions on things like that.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My recent ALT result was high and my doctor has ordered that test and additional tests to be taken in a month. I don't know which additional tests I'll be doing but he advised no alcohol for two weeks prior to the tests. I don't drink any alcohol so that part of the testing won't be a problem. He made no mention of fasting, however, so I'll email him and ask.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts